Support Exploited Nike Workers in Indonesia! (1 Viewer)

aussiechica

AUSSIECHICA- Hey year eleveners! Did you know Nike treats it workers all around the world like crap? Of course you do- everyone knows that all the big MNCs get a kick out of it. But until now, asides from vowing never to buy Nike stuff again (which is a bit nuts, because other companies do it too, so if you dont do your homework, you could be supporting a company just as bad), could you really do anything about it?
Read the below article and voice your support by signing the petition (<http://www.cleanclothes.org/urgent/03-10-23.php> ). If youre really interested subscibe - email <nikewatch-news-subscribe@lists.caa.org.au>
Okay, Ill get off my soapbox now . But, yeah, 2 seconds out of your day MIGHT (no guarantees ) change a life. Sign away lil mosh bunnies!

Urgent Action Required to Support Indonesian Workers

As reported in the introduction, 174 workers who participated in a four-day strike in July at the PT Busana factory have been denied their jobs for the last three months. This case is extremely urgent. Most have now been without income for three months and are struggling to feed themselves and their dependents.

Conditions in the factory are marked by forced overtime, verbal and sexual harassment and serious accidents. Women from the factory told me that when they are forced to work very large amounts of overtime it is common for tired workers in the sewing section to make mistakes which result in the needles from the industrial sewing machines going right through their fingers. They told me that when this happens the factory nurse usually pulls out the needle, applies iodine and a bandage and sends the woman back to work, even though this injury causes a great deal of ongoing pain.

Photographs of women from the factory, more details of the case and a web-petition you can sign can be found on this web-page:
<http://www.cleanclothes.org/urgent/03-10-23.php>

ae

HSC
I would to point some things out.

Nike is an advertising company, it let other business/factory to make their shoes. Nike do not choose the workers' wages nor the working condition. Therefore, if you want to compain, direct it to the factories, not to Nike.

Nike workers' wages in Indonesia is average wages for Indonesian. Workers should be glad in first place they have a job, many others do not.

Even though Nike has influences over those factories in Indonesia, I doubt they have clear ideas of what is happening to those workers before, it really it isnt their fault. Now with constant pressure, I believe Nike had made some adjustment but people seems to use old facts to pressure Nike even more.

Cheers :argue:

aussiechica

Well, yes, Nike is the head and not actually the manufacturer. But Nike has dozens of manufacturing plants around the world which it outsources to. Nike hires these companies to do its making for it. However, it has a right to impose upon its factories min standards of pay/conditions etc (many other concious companies do this like Levi). If you are saying that we should be targeting induvidual factoris, thats just a waste of time, as manudacturers only hire hundreds of workers each, and there are literally thousands of manufacturers. This would take ages compared to the time in which we can target nike as a whole

Nike has made some positive changes, but not enough. This capaign has been going on for some time now, and they have changed as a result of this campaign, not out of the goodness of its own heart I can assure you

ae said-
Even though Nike has influences over those factories in Indonesia, I doubt they have clear ideas of what is happening to those workers before, it really it isnt their fault.

Well, know they know. Nikewatch the campign spells out for them whats going on. Not only is it their fault, it is their responsibility as an ethical employer to ensure it doesnt happen.

Nike has the power in this situation. It can change suppliers, manufacturers whatever. It is their responsibility to impose upon its manufactures min standards and there have been precidents set by other MNCs that it should follow.

aussiechica

Hey yeah, Im sorry, Ive been told that this shouldve gone on the non-school board. I apologise, and if the mods wanna move it or whatever, pls go ahead.

So now Ive apologised will you please sign the petition ;)

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)