worst/best english novel you have ever read in school? (1 Viewer)

Alfred.Einstein

HSC
the worstbook i read was when i was in year 5- i was only 10 at the time but was in an accelerated class and was forced to read THE HOBBIT by JRR Tolkien

everytime i picked it up i literally fell asleep. like how the hell is a 10 yr old supposed to understand all the jibberish shit in that book.
(no offence to those who like it)

also the secret life/crimes of harry lavender or something was soooo bad which we read last year

the best was animal farm and bridge to terrabithia (in yr 5 + 6)
and a postmodern novel we studied this year in extension english calles "Extremely loud and incredibly close" by Jonathon Foer
- was absolutely amazing, almost the best book ive ever read (the beatles anthology was the best!)

thoughts? :)

HSC
best was animal farm in yr 9- i thought it would be boring but it was awesome and so clever i absolutely loved it. the worst was memory keepers daughter this year for english extension. it was supposed to be a good book and i had high expectations but it was utterly boring. too much description, really long sentences and it spent too long talking about things almost irrelevant to the central plot. :sleep:

HSC
best - a tie between to kill a mockingbird and the turn of the screw
worst - othello, technically it was a play but it was b-o-r-i-n-g

EPHS '09

ajdlinux

Mod: ANU, ATAR/HSC Marks
HSC
Best would be Tomorrow When the War Began. In fact I can't even remember if I actually read that in class, I know at least one of the English classes in year 9 did.

ahhliss

HSC
N/A
ser.en.dip.i.ty said:
best - a tie between to kill a mockingbird and the turn of the screw
worst - othello, technically it was a play but it was b-o-r-i-n-g

EPHS '09
We studied Othello right after Emma by Jane Austen so Othello didn't seem that bad... I reckon Emma is the most boring text I've studied... So far...

I don't know what the best would be. I don't know why the teacher told us to read A Series of Unfortunate Events back in year 8 or something. We didn't study it or anything :S Does that count? Lol, it's boring now but I enjoyed it back then.

HSC
ajdlinux said:
Best would be Tomorrow When the War Began. In fact I can't even remember if I actually read that in class, I know at least one of the English classes in year 9 did.
oh i forgot abou tomorrow when the war began. i read it in year nine and it was so good i forgot that i had done it at school. i've read the whole series and they are awesome books

kaz1

et tu
HSC
Uni Grad
Alfred.Einstein said:
the worstbook i read was when i was in year 5- i was only 10 at the time but was in an accelerated class and was forced to read THE HOBBIT by JRR Tolkien

everytime i picked it up i literally fell asleep. like how the hell is a 10 yr old supposed to understand all the jibberish shit in that book.

also the secret life/crimes of harry lavender or something was soooo bad which we read last year

the best was animal farm and bridge to terrabithia (in yr 5 + 6)
and a postmodern novel we studied this year in extension english calles "Extremely loud and incredibly close" by Jonathon Foer
- was absolutely amazing, almost the best book ive ever read (the beatles anthology was the best!)

thoughts? :)
The Hobbit is awesome. Worst book I read was in year 9. I don't remember the name but it was about incest love between 2 cousins. ewww

Robin Hood

HSC
worst book ever.Bram Stokers Dracula. The most corniest book ever written. *dracula climbs wall in lizard like manner* "oh, i wonder how he does that.....oh well, wont worry about it, its probably normal"

gcchick

Come at me bro
HSC
Uni Grad
Worst: Merryl (sp?) of the Stones in Year 8 and A Cage of Butterflies in Year 9, both by Brain Caswell. DO NOT READ HIS WORK.

Best: Chinese Cinderella by Adeline Yen Mah in Year 8. The only book that has ever made me cry.

marcquelle

a.k.a. Michael...Hi!
HSC
Best = Dracula
Worst = In the Skin of a Lion, i wanted to buy the book from the school so that i could burn it, and i pity anyone who has to do it for critical study ever it just sucks

ajdlinux

Mod: ANU, ATAR/HSC Marks
HSC
Melisoverschool said:
oh i forgot abou tomorrow when the war began. i read it in year nine and it was so good i forgot that i had done it at school. i've read the whole series and they are awesome books
Yeah, after reading the first one I went to the library and went through all the others in the course of something like two or three weeks.

John Marsden was running some event up this way a few weeks back - I should've gone...

HSC
don't know which book was the worst, all of them were okay.

The best book has got to be the book we got this year called the book thief by markus zusak. Freaking amazing.

hollyy.

stop looking at me swan.
HSC
Best: The Real Inspector Hound <3 + Pride and Prejudice.
Worst: One Flew Over the Cuckoo's Nest + Cloudstreet. eurghh.

axlenatore

Scuba Steve
HSC
Best : Curious Incident of the dog in the night time
Worst: Brave new world

Timothy.Siu

Prophet 9
HSC
Alfred.Einstein said:

i read that in like yr 5 and i liked it

E

Empyrean444

axlenatore said:
Best : Curious Incident of the dog in the night time
Worst: Brave new world
How can u hate Brave New World - it's bloody great!
Same with Dracula/Hobbit

beve

Jesus
HSC
Best: Dracula
Worst: Le Morte d'Arthur.

Both from Year 11 Extension course. Everything else we've read seems to fall inbetween on the fail-o-meter. But seriously; If I have to read the story of the knights of the round table once more it'l be on like Donkey Kong..

"and Sir Beveiad slices off the teacher's head!"...

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)