Help re Subject Selection (1 Viewer)

sa-doo

Hey!

Just wanted to get some advice from you guys...bascially the question is General or 2 Unit....Im currently in yr 10 and every one is giving me different advice

Here are my current subjects:
1 SOR
2 Adv. English
1 Ext. English
2 Visual Arts
2 French
2 Japanese (external...yr 12 next yr)
2 Legal
2 maths (General or 2 Unit)

Ive been told by my teachers to do 2U, as i have topped intermediate maths.I personally dont think I am very good at maths and think that it will take a lot of time and effort to catch up and remain at a level where I will be comfortable with my grades. I also think this will take too much time away from other subjects like Visual Arts and English ( Im planning on dropping something and taking up Ext 2 in yr 12).....

What do you think?

Thanks...

Xayma

Lacking creativity
HSC
N/A
Well what you can always do is pick up Maths (2U) and if you find you are having difficulty in the first few weeks drop it and pick up General Mathematics.

kimmeh

Sleeping
HSC
hmm u arent allowed to move up , so i highly reccomened you do 2 unit maths, not general because if u find general too easy, then u cant move up. but u can move down if 2 unit is hard.

it depends what u want to do in uni as well, by picking 2 unit maths, you have a chance of getting a better uai, since general is capped and is regarded as what some unis call 'ill-preparation' to their courses

sugaryblue

Living on deficit
HSC
Originally posted by sa-doo
Hey!

Just wanted to get some advice from you guys...bascially the question is General or 2 Unit

What do you think?

Thanks...
2 unit! Reasons being:
* it scales better, general maths actually scales down which will affect your UAI
* if you choose 2 unit, you can always drop back to general if you don't like it, but you can't do the vice versa

How many units are you planning on doing?
from the above preliminary courses, there are 14 units but you also mentioned something about dropping and picking up something in year 12.

Definitely keep your languages! those are the subjects that you'd probably need to study the least (consider that it's a gradual learning process)

Aussiechick

HSC
I was just counting up your units.. don't you have too many? there's 14 units there... I didn't know u could do more than 12 in year 11.

I think u should give 2U a go, then drop down to general if its too hard.

sa-doo

thanks for all your replies....Well the reason i can do 14 units is because i am doing Japanese externally, so it isnt allocated into any time periods as such...Ill do it in study instead...

Is general really capped? IM looking for the highest marks possible, so if it is.....i dont know.....

Would an average mark in general (70-80) be better than a 95+ in general? My maths mark probably wont end up counting towards my UAI anyway though.....

Thanks again

~*HSC 4 life*~

HSC
N/A
yeah give 2unit a go! its fun!! the topics you do in general and 2u are totally different...general is like finance, statistics...pretty much stuff you have allready done, i know people who did intermediate maths and are coping well in 2 unit, so my advice would be to atleats TRY the 2 unit, and it wont be too much of a drama if u decide to go to general since u have allready most likely done the topics b4..
one thing i learned now is that u can NEVER predict what ur subject will be like, when i was in yr 10 i thought i have everything all planned and thought i knew what subs i would like but tables turned a bit once i got to yr 11-make sure u keep ur options as wide as possible
good luck

PaleReflection

i can teach you
HSC
I too am in year 10 and am ranked around the middle of advanced this year (averaging a low B), and I am only doing general next year.
I was originally going to do 2U and planned on dropping it most probably if I struggled. But then I was advised by older people that if I have plans to drop it then I should just do general from the beginning, because it is a completely different course and you will need to catch up on everything else.
My teacher this year also told me that I am better-off getting 80 in general (I'd like to think I'd get better than that!) than 60 in 2U.
Also, do you enjoy maths? Because I'm not particularly fond of it, which is why I chose to do general in the end.
Right now I am thinking of completely dropping maths and taking up photography or modern history, but who knows.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)