Help! Anyone doing religion in yr 11? (1 Viewer)

Z

zhouyn

my school (penrith high) only allow us to do 12 units in yr 11 and i must choose an extra 1 unit course to fill my 12 units. There is not much choice i have as the TAFE is almost full and there are only a few 1 unit course in my school.

Now i must choose between 1 unit of study of religion or english extension. i think english extension would be too difficult for me but i know nothing about religions. Anyone in year 11 who is doing religion can tell me anything about the course? like how time-consuming it is and how hard. very appreciated.

my subject selection:
*Eng (adv)
*3U math
*Phy
*Chem
*modern history
*english extension or religion?

Redp3n

well of course u know nothing about religions, because u havent learnt it yet.

the whole point of doing that subject is to LEARN it, it appears ur doing 3 U maths, do u know n e thing about intergration? or parameters? get my drift?

if u reckon 3u eng is to hard, dont do it.

as for religion ( i assume u mean SOR)
no its not time consuming
and i mean that literally, i didnt study for a second in that shit subject and I got 94% for the yearly, its a 1 unit subject and is quite stupid. listen in class and u'll be fine.

SOR however is very easy and boring.

Last edited:

KarmaKitten

HSC
First of all, you are supposed to have 12 units in year 11. thats every school and second of all I think extension english is not so bad at all. In fact its a lot easier to comprehend than advanced english. I would say pick that, but im biased and i hate religion
:p

PaleReflection

i can teach you
HSC
Originally posted by KarmaKitten
First of all, you are supposed to have 12 units in year 11. thats every school and second of all I think extension english is not so bad at all. In fact its a lot easier to comprehend than advanced english. I would say pick that, but im biased and i hate religion
:p
I guess it's not every school; at mine we are allowed to have anything between 12 and 14 units for year 11, 13 being what most students do.
:D

alby

cool duckie
HSC
it really just dependz on how good u r in eng
if u arent dat good...u should do sor

dere is always d bit after about 6 wks were ya can change subjects if ya want, so if u choose 1 n dun like it you can change 2 d otha 1 then

itz ultimately ur choice....ext eng iz a bit hard (but den again..i suck @ eng)..sor iz a bit o a bludge

good luck wit ur choice

iambored

dum-di-dum
HSC
the religion course is fairly interesting, you learn about other religions, not only your own (although you may have a topic on your religion, and then a topic on the others)

but eng ext is also interesting. it is a lot better than 2u. and scales better than 1u rel if you do well. (what i mean is that if you are good at both, you are more likely to get a better scaling mark for your 1u eng ext than 1u rel) i would advise going to your eng teachers and asking what they think.

kimmeh

Sleeping
HSC
i did 1 unit religion and i was in the same situation as you.

i picked religion 1 unit over english extension because i knew i was going to drop religion for ext 2 maths. i did jack all for religion 1 unit. i actually changed into the course halfway term 1 from saturday language school... i didnt like it. i thought it was a waste of time, slept in class and just handed things in when asked. (and i still managed to beat 20 people!) but practically everyone in my religion class dropped it. we had a clas of 24 (plus another class in a separate line) and now only about 5 or 6 people in my class have continued.

its all really depends, if you like english, are good at it and have ideas on keeping it, then i reccemend you do it.

if u want a subject just t take up some time and definitely going to drop, then take religion :)

candi_licious

hey, i go to chizholm and i do both 1unit sor and eng ext 1, and religion is a total bludge, its so boring its not funny, and eng ext 1 is easier then adv english i reckon, and plus u get less assessments in eng ext 1, i only had 2 assessments to do, so i would say do eng ext1 coz its not that hard, and when it comes to scaling, it scales up unlike religion, oh well thats jst my opinion newayz..laterz

Tenille

the one & only
HSC
I did ext eng last year and dropped it, but thats because i kinda got over english lol.

I also do SOR1 (because at my school we have too), i like it, and its easy. you only have to do 3 topics.
1) the nature of religion, thats like all ancient religious ways, that topic is kinda ordinary.
2) a depth study of one of the 5 religious traditions.
3)Religion on influence on australia 1788-1900, which is more about history than religion. lol

if your going to drop it, its not going to matter either way lol

Z

zhouyn

thanks for your suggestions, everyone

I was thinking to do 4U math and drop religion in year 12 if i choose SOR as my subject.

One more question, could the SOR helps my work in Modern History? if it these two courses are related then I am pretty sure what i should do.

Last edited by a moderator:

kimmeh

Sleeping
HSC
umm i dont know about the linkage between the two subs in prelim,
but i know my friends have made claims that 1 unit religion (their PIP) relates to art (because they did say... buddhism art)..

Originally posted by zhouyn

I was thinking to do 4U math and drop religion in year 12 if i choose SOR as my subject.
thats what i did :uhhuh: i'm so happy i droppped it.. its was SO damn boring! also, my new school didint offer it :rolleyes:
good luck with ur choices ;)

Tenille

the one & only
HSC
Originally posted by zhouyn
thanks for your suggestions, everyone

One more question, could the SOR helps my work in Modern History? if it these two courses are related then I am pretty sure what i should do.
I doboth, again lol, they don't directly relate,but both will work together to help with your writing andessay skills.

Year 9 and year 10 history will help you more with SOR1, especially in "religion in australia 1788-1900", and if you keep it, it will also help you with, "religion in Australia 1901- present"

Andronicarse

The Mothership Connection
HSC
Originally posted by Tenille
I did ext eng last year and dropped it, but thats because i kinda got over english lol.
*cough* couldnt hack it *cough*

Tenille

the one & only
HSC
Originally posted by Andronicarse
*cough* couldnt hack it *cough*
No i just don't get my marks by sexual favors like others. i had better things to waste my time on...

Andronicarse

The Mothership Connection
HSC
giving sexual favours for drugs you mean?

Z

zhouyn

appreciated for everyone's suggestion, although it was a bit confusing as different people advised me to do different subjects.

anyway, i already decided to take SOR for yr 11. again, thanks for your advice.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)