What to do to get chosen for Prefect + without over doing it? (1 Viewer)

evnchrist

HSC
hayyy guys this is my firstt firsttt post on this forum.... figuredd i shouldd make usee of it .

ummm school captain / vice captain /prefects getting chosen like real soon

i was wondering if there are any strategies i could employ to like "subtly" hint to people about circlingg my namee in the surveyyy they gonna gettt!
,whilee not making you look pompous or like you only sayin stuff to get them to vote for you !

btw im pretty much cool with everyone in my year....a drifterr if you like :D

but yeh anyyy ideass???

samthebear

HSC
well maybe for one if you didnt writeeee liikeee thisss thennnn maayyybbeeee moorreeeee peopllleeee wiiillll voootteeeee forrr yoouuuu becauseee yoooouuuuu sooouuunnnndddd likkkeeee annn idiot.
The coy act doesnt work online douche.

If you've got friends ask them to vote for u. when my friends asked me to vote for them i voted for them. not because i'm biased but b/c i had no idea who to vote for so i just voted for the first person who asked me to vote for them. cept for the school captancy. i voted based on who i knew would be the best for the job.

my school has a gillion prefect places so meh - voting for someone just cuz they asked u to isnt such a huge issue imo.

evnchrist

HSC
aah sozzzzzz im jus pumpedd at the mommentttt :) plus its my msn talk its hard to get out of habit!

yeh thats what im thinkin.. just go around askin people "yu wanna vote for me?"

it would be heaps good for my resume , i jus wanna giv my self a good chancee this time to get chosen yeh?

samthebear

HSC
oh god you write like that on msn? god bless the souls of those who talk to you regularly on msn.

Dont ask them. tell them. "Hey guys i want to be [insert role] prefect, vote for me!" < say that in a flippant tone - not serious, not whiney, not desperate but in a 'hey we're good friends, i'm not desperate but if you cant think of anyone else to vote for, vote for me!'

Joga Bonito

HSC
Honestly, you shouldn't be asking people to vote for you, and i would ignore the advice given to you by samthebear. If you're on good terms with the majority of your grade, then you will be elected as a prefect. Asking them, or telling them to like samthebear described, won't make a difference, in fact it will probably hurt your chances, saying 'im not desperate' will pretty much imply the opposite

Absolutezero

real human bean
HSC
N/A
I agree with:

"Hey guys i want to be [insert role] prefect, vote for me!" < say that in a flippant tone - not serious, not whiney
This, and:

saying 'im not desperate' will pretty much imply the opposite
The first one can work quite well. One of my mates two years aboce me pretty much went around the entire school telling everyone to vote for him. He ended up as vice-captain. He has great people skills though, and a great presence, so it worked really well for him. If you say your good with people (and not such a drifter because your only sort-of friends with people) then it could work for you to.

The desperate plea is never the way to go. Don't use it.

For the speech, be funny without 'trying' to be funny. An audience can spot a try-hard comic a mile off.

evnchrist

HSC
"Hey guys i want to be [insert role] prefect, vote for me!" < say that in a flippant tone '
haha dude my whole life is like one massive flippant tone
im always half serious or half joking when i say something .. i guess it has an adv.
because depending on the reaction, u can fall bak on either side :)

its funny ..my year can be like associated in like 3 groups

Aussies/Skaties/Surfies Wogs and Randoms

but like other then that everyone pretty much get along with eachother

its the RANDOMS i wanna get votes from ehehe :)

that's 2 /3's ;)

i should have the wogs section under controll cuz im greek :headbang:

and aussies yeh im cool with most but thers some drugos lol

chichichip

chichichichichichichi....
HSC
I don't think the social structure will have any impact on the chances of you getting prefect or whatever, but good luck...

Mu5hi

Banned
HSC
I think at my school its rigged. Somehow all the academic students get it

evnchrist

HSC
Any school based roles make you look like a massive douche. Dunno bout u but i'd rather have as little association with my school as possible. I go there for the day, learn, go home.
yeah but like at the end of the day there gonna write a reference saying how mad i am and having prefect next to my name could be the difference betweeen having a job and not

my friend in yr 12 was sayin "say goodbye to your lunch times and get ready for meetings like every week"

aha full good life (Y):bomb:

ekoolish

Impossible?
HSC
School leaders have no power, it's just a false power imposed upon students to make them feel like they have the power to change aspects of the world. :wave:

samthebear

HSC
Honestly, you shouldn't be asking people to vote for you, and i would ignore the advice given to you by samthebear. If you're on good terms with the majority of your grade, then you will be elected as a prefect. Asking them, or telling them to like samthebear described, won't make a difference, in fact it will probably hurt your chances, saying 'im not desperate' will pretty much imply the opposite
meh different people different situations different tactics. the asking for votes imo worked cuz i actually voted for ppl who asked me.
but idk - if you have good ppl skills just ask. if people like you and you ask, they'll vote. if you're some socially retarded douche asking will just make them scorn you.
while its all fine and good to not ask people to vote for you they WONT vote for you if they DONT KNOW that you're vying for that spot.

btw, being a prefect of any kind screws up your HSC year. you must be organised, commited (and i MEAN commited) and not reluctant to stay after school and do after school stuff. idk what level of commitment your school requires from prefects but in my school if you're a prefect you're expected to attend functions/masses/celebrations out side or inside of school time and you're expected to catch up on work missed at school.

Prefects are also expected to organise school events. So even more of your time (in or out of school) will be sucked up by THOSE meetings.

i hope you're prepared for the level of commitment required. there is a reason why prefects are looked favourably on. they dont get that on their resumes for no reason. you've got to put in hard work and most importantly commitment. what being a prefect tells your employer is that - yes you as an individual will be willing to work over time/ put in more effort/ be more commited as you've demonstrated it in your school life.

Hope you actually like your school too. working like a freakin mule for a school you hate makes the job worse.

gl man. i never bothered to nominate myself b/c to me school is just a place i learn. fuck all that shit about community or whatever. i just want my education (and i fairly paid for it too) my UAI and get to uni.

School leaders have no power, it's just a false power imposed upon students to make them feel like they have the power to change aspects of the world.
anyone who was actually under the impression that prefects have any kind of power should just slap themselves now. prefects are simply work mules for teachers and the school.

evnchrist

HSC
if you have good ppl skills just ask. if people like you and you ask, they'll vote. if you're some socially retarded douche asking will just make them scorn you.
while its all fine and good to not ask people to vote for you they WONT vote for you if they DONT KNOW that you're vying for that spot.
yehh in the past 2 days i reckon ive converted like 15 people to vote for me..
i was just in conversations with people and brought up the subject of prefects and they said "ok no probs"

also thers a good trick , when somebody does something out of the ordinary jus go " aww i was gonna vote for you for prefect" and they b like "aww reli?... dw il vote for you 2 "

ahhh ANDD thers a few guys in my year that fucking made hand out card things sayin "I want you" to vote for me ... and a guy bargained if i vote him school captain ...he would make me an "president executive of security" .. watever that is ... apparently you dont "do anything" .

but as sam the bear was sayin above and i cbf quoting .. yess you do have to sooo many things for the school functions masses , even speeches for events sometimes, open days etc

but is it worth it you reckon? i havnt really done anything for the school except basketball every year which satisfies the two terms minimum so ..mayb this might help in the long run i dont know

Absolutezero

real human bean
HSC
N/A
I think at my school its rigged. Somehow all the academic students get it</SPAN>
Definitely rigged. Academics never get it. :p

yehh in the past 2 days i reckon ive converted like 15 people to vote for me..
Don't rely on this. People lie, whether they mean to or not. Just because they say they will, there's a huge chance they won't.

samthebear

HSC
but is it worth it you reckon? i havnt really done anything for the school except basketball every year which satisfies the two terms minimum so ..mayb this might help in the long run i dont know
is it worth it? thats a question you have to ask yourself. are you willing to go above and beyond what you're required to do for the school? many of my friends are prefects and i know perfectly well what kind of schedule you'll get if you're a prefect. most days you dont get some kind of meeting or whatever, but when school events come up (carnivals, founders day [if you even have such a day], speech night etc) the work piles up like crazy.
my friend is the school captain and she has now taken to refering herself as the school's mule. in a way she is right - she has to do practically everything now, and if anything fucks up its her responsibility. but again do you regard the resulting rewards enough to compensate? Do you LIKE working to develop your school further? Will you willingly give up your own time for the school? for your teachers? will you slog hard not just for the school but also for your HSC?

btw - many of my friends are academics and they hold a prefect position. they need to work on aiding the school develop further as a community as well as pulling their weight in the HSC and working hard for their marks as well.

i'm not saying its impossible but if you have a notion that prefects do nothing all the time and just bum around enjoying the status of 'prefect' then you are wrong. get that idea out of your head right now.

oh and also know that teachers have a say in the votes too. so if you havent been very involved in school community in the past your chances of getting a prefect position will be severly limited (even if the votes stack in your favour. eg: someone who has demonstrated school sprit in the pass who may have slightly less votes than you MAY get the position). Not saying the process is rigged, but you do need to have a track record of commitment and dedication to the school.

in the end the school/teachers/year co-ordinators want what is best for the school and they want prefects who will also want the best for the school even at the cost of personal time and or cost. because of this inherent cost, you must be prepared to give up just about everything you can. your time especially must be sacrificed should the teachers need you to.
Case in point: my friend is a massive twilight fan - she wanted so desperately to attend the preview screening of twilight a few weeks before offical release but she could not go to the screening (even tho she had friends who had reserved a ticket for her) simply because that very same night we had speech night and she as school captain could not simply 'skip' this event in favour of something she really wanted to do.

Be sure of what you know you'll be sacrificing. if its just all for a "prefect of [insert title]" on your resume then i have to tell you right now its not worth it.
But if its because you genuinely believe you've got something to offer the school and you have a real interest and care in the school then go for it.
Sincerity always wins votes.

Joga Bonito

HSC
yeah you can't be sure that people will vote for you because they said they would, and well i guess my school is different in terms of prefect nominations, because you have to put your name down to inidicate that you want to be a prefect, so people will know

yes i would say being a prefect requires committment, but iit doesn't have to affect your HSC if you're organised enough (however i don't know prefects at other schools are required to do), i'm sure that some of the prefects in my grade will be getting 99+ ATAR's

anyways goodluck!

Absolutezero

real human bean
HSC
N/A
if its just all for a "prefect of [insert title]" on your resume then i have to tell you right now its not worth it.
It depends on how much work and how organised the prefect team is meant to be at your particular school. At some high ranked schools, I'm sure prefect has a huge responsibility. Others have the prefects are merely figureheads, who only need to do the occasional bit of work now and again.

evnchrist

HSC
is it worth it? thats a question you have to ask yourself. are you willing to go above and beyond what you're required to do for the school? many of my friends are prefects and i know perfectly well what kind of schedule you'll get if you're a prefect. most days you dont get some kind of meeting or whatever, but when school events come up (carnivals, founders day [if you even have such a day], speech night etc) the work piles up like crazy.
my friend is the school captain and she has now taken to refering herself as the school's mule. in a way she is right - she has to do practically everything now, and if anything fucks up its her responsibility. but again do you regard the resulting rewards enough to compensate? Do you LIKE working to develop your school further? Will you willingly give up your own time for the school? for your teachers? will you slog hard not just for the school but also for your HSC?

btw - many of my friends are academics and they hold a prefect position. they need to work on aiding the school develop further as a community as well as pulling their weight in the HSC and working hard for their marks as well.

i'm not saying its impossible but if you have a notion that prefects do nothing all the time and just bum around enjoying the status of 'prefect' then you are wrong. get that idea out of your head right now.

oh and also know that teachers have a say in the votes too. so if you havent been very involved in school community in the past your chances of getting a prefect position will be severly limited (even if the votes stack in your favour. eg: someone who has demonstrated school sprit in the pass who may have slightly less votes than you MAY get the position). Not saying the process is rigged, but you do need to have a track record of commitment and dedication to the school.

in the end the school/teachers/year co-ordinators want what is best for the school and they want prefects who will also want the best for the school even at the cost of personal time and or cost. because of this inherent cost, you must be prepared to give up just about everything you can. your time especially must be sacrificed should the teachers need you to.
Case in point: my friend is a massive twilight fan - she wanted so desperately to attend the preview screening of twilight a few weeks before offical release but she could not go to the screening (even tho she had friends who had reserved a ticket for her) simply because that very same night we had speech night and she as school captain could not simply 'skip' this event in favour of something she really wanted to do.

Be sure of what you know you'll be sacrificing. if its just all for a "prefect of [insert title]" on your resume then i have to tell you right now its not worth it.
But if its because you genuinely believe you've got something to offer the school and you have a real interest and care in the school then go for it.
Sincerity always wins votes.

yeah i see what you mean
it sounds like you have to sign your life over to the school

i guess it would really set you up for later working life though ay? if your workin at an office that wants things ready like on the hour or whatever .

but its only gonna be one year of hard slog and yes its the most important year of all , but im sure its always gonna b a hard slog, it might even keep me more motivated to study then to jus slacken off with all the added pressure.
and i hardly go out to things anyway my lifes so bad lol

the other positive is i would probably be spending it with other prefects that ,chances are, would be friends whom i would get along with so that kinda minimises the pain a bit wont it?

but every thing you said is pretti much spot on , it really does comes down to commitment and persistence more then anything

nhoustonrocks

HSC
Uni Grad
I think at my school its rigged. Somehow all the academic students get it
My school is rigged too.
For this year's head prefect, the teachers wanted the dux in the grade to be head prefect, even though she never put her name down, and she kept trying to tell them that she didn't want to be a prefect so her parents had to complain in writing and in person to the school.

God, i hate my school at times.

HSC
To me, prefect is one of those things where if you genuinely want to do it, you try out, hope for the best, and if you don't get it, then that's cool too. Being all try-hard and bitchy about it will get you no where. There is no way to make people vote for you. It comes from years and years of just being you that will get votes. Saying that, these processes are heavily rigged by teachers. I know at my school, although students and teachers vote, the principal gets the last say about who is the 'pin-up'.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)