extension 2 math (1 Viewer)

mitchy_boy

blue
HSC
Does doing 4unit really make that much of a difference to your uai or atar? cos i dont no if i wonna put myself through all that study to get an average uai or atar. like im ok at extension 1 im getting about 70% with not too much study. and do the students i do it with make a difference to my mark? because i have this korean guy in my class and he's a fuking gun at maths.

K

khorne

Rofl...Seriously, don't bother about scaling. All subjects, if you do well at them, will get you the Atar you want. If you don't like maths, no point in doing 4U, because frankly, without the motivation etc, you'll suck at it.

HSC
i wanna do 4u maths as well. im currently doing 3u.

my marks are avg 85% atm. but i know i'm going to improve as i do pretty crap at the beginning n keep improving throughout the year.
i have 3 sciences as well and i dont really want to drop any.

i mean.. if you ask your maths teacher what you should do, theyre bound to say try it out first then see if you like it.
they have a point but with extension 2 maths it gets a bit hard since most schools dont make you do go to 2u classes n 3u classes as well as 4u classes. if you decide to drop ext 2 later on, you dont have assesment marks for 2u. this is what i've been told from a friend but im not quite sure if its correct or not.

Aquawhite

Retiring
HSC
Uni Grad

my marks are avg 85% atm. but i know i'm going to improve as i do pretty crap at the beginning n keep improving throughout the year.

i mean.. if you ask your maths teacher what you should do, theyre bound to say try it out first then see if you like it.
they have a point but with extension 2 maths it gets a bit hard since most schools dont make you do go to 2u classes n 3u classes as well as 4u classes. if you decide to drop ext 2 later on, you dont have assesment marks for 2u. this is what i've been told from a friend but im not quite sure if its correct or not.
Asking your teacher whether you would be good at 4unit maths would be the best option... The teacher at my school doesn't know how I will go lol... so that's pretty contradictory, but if I make extra effort I'll go well.

mitchy_boy

blue
HSC
meh i like maths, i just dont no if its worth the extra effort... i guess ill just study my ass off this year and see how im doing at the end of term 3.

mitchy_boy

blue
HSC
yeh my teacher sed that he'd analyse my grades at the end of the year and see whether or not id be right to do it.

kurt.physics

HSC
N/A
Im fairly certain most schools have their 2 unit and 3 unit combined class, that is, the top group go into a class which they learn all 2 unit and when neccesary move onto 3 unit work. But some times there are not enough people to do so...

But at my school those who do extension 2 maths will sit the 2 unit maths exams if they decide to drop.

HSC
Im fairly certain most schools have their 2 unit and 3 unit combined class, that is, the top group go into a class which they learn all 2 unit and when neccesary move onto 3 unit work. But some times there are not enough people to do so...
nah i know a few schools who do 2u and 3u as seperate subjects like my school.

i think some teachers just tell students to try it out anyway even if they're not completely capable of handling it.
e.g. last year when recommendations came out for year 11, everyone who got 80%+ average got recommended for ext maths at my school. now a bit over 1/4 of the 3u maths class are recommended to drop to 2u due to their crappy marks of 60% or lower.

above all, if you like maths then just do 4u. its a lot more work, but if you like it why not?

kaz1

et tu
HSC
Uni Grad

Most schools make you do the 2unit assessments in case you want to drop.

q3thefish

HSC
I'm averaging 75% for 3u and 70% for 4u. Hmm.. if you're doing better than me, give it a go :]

Tully B.

Green = procrastinating
HSC
I don't know about other schools, but that's not the case with mine. All the 4u kids are in my 3u class, which is my 2u class as well. They need to go to 3u classes, and 2u classes would probably proves useful since 3u papers are full of harder versions for 2u Questions.

duckcowhybrid

HSC
My school run the 4U and 2U exams concurrently. You learn all of the 2U work in the combined 2U/3U class, then do the 4U work in seperate 4U classes.

mitchy_boy

blue
HSC
My school run the 4U and 2U exams concurrently. You learn all of the 2U work in the combined 2U/3U class, then do the 4U work in seperate 4U classes.
If they run it like that then I'll give it a go. But I think only one guy from my years doing it, and hes already done half the 4u syllabus. I have a talk to my teacher about it.

ninetypercent

ninety ninety ninety
HSC
yeah, my school makes you do 2U assessments in case you drop 4U. You learn the 2 unit work in a combined 2/3 unit class, and 4 unit in a separate 4 unit class.

Woteva636

HSC
If youre not prepared to put in the effort theres no point at all in doing ext2, unless you want to fail it so you can drag the other guy's mark down a bit

tehrobzorz

HSC
the guy being a gun at maths should also give you a high aligned mark, assuming he gets the highest in the HSC and assuming you're going to be 2nd to him,

otherwise,

Unless you LOVE, and I mean, absolutely get a kick out of solving problems in maths, then really, extension 2 probably isn't the course for you. I'm speaking from experience here, and with my tutor ( yeah I get tutored for maths.. wow) we have spent 2 months just prepping on 4unit integration. That is a hell of alot of stuff to remember, and if you're just not motivated to keep pushing onwards, you WILL recieve an average mark.

Which will be a total dissappointment, especially, and even if you half -arsed it. ( effort wasted ).

scaling wont save you either. make a decision now, and concrete it.

Aquawhite

Retiring
HSC
Uni Grad
the guy being a gun at maths should also give you a high aligned mark, assuming he gets the highest in the HSC and assuming you're going to be 2nd to him,

otherwise,

Unless you LOVE, and I mean, absolutely get a kick out of solving problems in maths, then really, extension 2 probably isn't the course for you. I'm speaking from experience here, and with my tutor ( yeah I get tutored for maths.. wow) we have spent 2 months just prepping on 4unit integration. That is a hell of alot of stuff to remember, and if you're just not motivated to keep pushing onwards, you WILL recieve an average mark.

Which will be a total dissappointment, especially, and even if you half -arsed it. ( effort wasted ).

scaling wont save you either. make a decision now, and concrete it.
This is was something I spent time trying to decide. I have decided now that I am definitely taking Maths Extension 2 regardless of the consequences and am going to tackle it head on... and I'll need so much time to adjust to the jump in difficulty from MX1 to MX2

kurt.physics

HSC
N/A
This is was something I spent time trying to decide. I have decided now that I am definitely taking Maths Extension 2 regardless of the consequences and am going to tackle it head on... and I'll need so much time to adjust to the jump in difficulty from MX1 to MX2
Dont worry... you will be able to kill MX2 with a tooth pick! =}

annabackwards

<3 Prophet 9
HSC
As mentioned above, i suggest that you only try out extension 2 math if you get at the very least 75% and above for extension 1 and if you LOVE math. If you don't love math, then you should be able to either pick up concepts easily or have to patience to sit there and do lots of questions.

Your teacher should have some idea of whether or not you're extension 2 material, so ask them for advice.

Oh and at my school, the 2 and 3U classes are separate, with the 4U kids only doing 3/4U in year 12 because they've already sat the accelerated 2U course in year 11 :)

Aquawhite

Retiring
HSC
Uni Grad
Dont worry... you will be able to kill MX2 with a tooth pick! =}
I highly doubt I will find it that easy. There are plenty of MX1 things that I find difficult a fair few times.... although i find the extension maths courses so much more interesting... they make lots of sense to why I should understand them and they are ever so practical (not as boring as people make them out to be).

I think I will be up for the extra hard work and I plan to be doing most of my time and revision on my maths next year... (not too much this as I don't find it that hard at the moment)

As mentioned above, i suggest that you only try out extension 2 math if you get at the very least 75% and above for extension 1 and if you LOVE math. If you don't love math, then you should be able to either pick up concepts easily or have to patience to sit there and do lots of questions.

Your teacher should have some idea of whether or not you're extension 2 material, so ask them for advice.

Oh and at my school, the 2 and 3U classes are separate, with the 4U kids only doing 3/4U in year 12 because they've already sat the accelerated 2U course in year 11 :)
That is pretty similar to my school ^_^. In my half yearly for MX1 I got 43% rofl... xD but I dare say it was my best effort considering that I had only 4 months to learn and prepare the entire preliminary course for 2u and ext. 1 + half of the HSC course as well.

I still got second xD... I don't know how my marks fair up now though. I'm sure they've improved.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)