Whats best, chemistry or physics? (1 Viewer)

cng

HSC
hey everyone
could you guys please help me out here!

so far ive selected to do

English adv
Business studies
economics
religion 1U (compulsory)
3U Maths

and i selected tafe accounting but want to change it to either chemistry or physics, i have interest in maths and in the future want to do something along side commerce.

my teachers at school keep telling us that we should do subs because of interest and not just good scaling, but i cnt help it but not worry about the scaling of the subjects ive chosen :S

so could you please help me choose one, backing up your perference? i hope to acheive an atar of 90 +.

Many thanks

lpodnano

5eva alone
HSC
hey everyone
could you guys please help me out here!

so far ive selected to do

English adv
Business studies
economics
religion 1U (compulsory)
3U Maths

and i selected tafe accounting but want to change it to either chemistry or physics, i have interest in maths and in the future want to do something along side commerce.

my teachers at school keep telling us that we should do subs because of interest and not just good scaling, but i cnt help it but not worry about the scaling of the subjects ive chosen :S

so could you please help me choose one, backing up your perference? i hope to acheive an atar of 90 +.

Many thanks
Well it is entirely up to you and your interests. Take a look at the syllabus and the topics covered. Remember that it is a two year course, so whatever you choose, your stuck with it until the very end (unless you drop it or there's a 2 week window period). I've heard that Physics scales better, but some tell me that Chemistry scales better. Let's say they scale similarly?

pman

Banned
HSC
chemistry seems to have a higher percentage of female students but really, the choice is up to you, do what you feel you'll do best in

kfnmpah

HSC
Chemistry! Chem is the best subject ever!

A few of my friends did physics and it was super lame compared to chem.

Most people on here will disagree, but, I say PFFFFFT

plus, chem totally scales better*

*i am not sure on this, but it definitely should.

tizona

HSC
Chemistry scales better. But putting that aside, choose what interests you the most. You said you liked maths, and in both subjects there is a fair bit of calculations involved.

I personally enjoyed Chem heaps, and thought prelim physics was pretty lame -hence dropped it. ive heard that HSC physics is very different from prelim though, so you never know...

pman

Banned
HSC
Chemistry! Chem is the best subject ever!

A few of my friends did physics and it was super lame compared to chem.

Most people on here will disagree, but, I say PFFFFFT

plus, chem totally scales better*

*i am not sure on this, but it definitely should.
So you don't really know what your talking about, you admit to lying through your teeth and your giving stupid advice...as always, the best advice is do the subject you think you'll do better at

bubbrubb

HSC
I chose physics and chem in yr 11. Dropped phys in yr 12.

Why?

I found space (first topic) interesting but then when we started all the shit about electricity, voltages and stuff... really turned me off.

Personally I liked chem more but hard to say... it's really up to the person.

imho, it is usually the people who love maths that love physics while the people who are more into written stuff prefer chemistry. Maybe it was just my grade but it makes sense in a way.

lpodnano

5eva alone
HSC

Why?

I found space (first topic) interesting but then when we started all the shit about electricity, voltages and stuff... really turned me off.

imho, it is usually the people who love maths that love physics while the people who are more into written stuff prefer chemistry. Maybe it was just my grade but it makes sense in a way.
Yeah I agree. Someone told me that if you memorise the Physics formulas and can apply them than you'll enjoy physics. I guess the same applies for rearranging chemistry formulas etc.etc.

-JD

HSC
Physics and Chemistry pretty much scale the same so don't worry about that. If you say your interested in Mathematics I'm pretty sure Physics has more Mathematical content in it, so from what you've said I'd say Physics but its entirely what you prefer, look through the syllabus etc, think back to the phys/chem topics you did in 9/10 and think which one you preferred.

Tofuu

HSC
if you like math, then i would say phy

ignore the scalling for those two since they are similar (chem is just slightly higher)

pman

Banned
HSC

Why?

love the fact that the electricity bit turned you off....still, that is a very boring bit of the course

lpodnano

5eva alone
HSC
BTW: Don't let anyone choose your subjects for you or tell you "it's better" based on their own opinion. We at BOS do not know where your interests lie and in the end it is up to you.

shady145

Banned
HSC
look at your teachers aswell? do they have reputation for getting excellent results... i liked phsyics more but i think it had a lot to do with teachers.

and as harrisony said... the syllabus is your friend

nikilily

HSC
In year 11 I did both Chemistry and Physics and found Chemistry the most difficult out of the two. If you enjoy mathematics my advice would be to do physics because Mathematics is applied in nearly all the topics. But like what others have said, look over the syllabus and just weigh out what you think you will enjoy and do best at.

kfnmpah

HSC
So you don't really know what your talking about, you admit to lying through your teeth and your giving stupid advice...as always, the best advice is do the subject you think you'll do better at
Calm your farm, I was clearly being facetious otherwise I wouldn't have put the *

pman

Banned
HSC
yes, the thing is, someone wants advice, not misleading info (chem does scale better though)

GStarRAWR

HSC
If your going to do 3U math probs Physics?

depends whether your better at solving or you can remember alot like for chem u probs gotta remember like 70 elements but as to physics its like u solve problems i guess Physics is like equation equation equation solve this and solve that i mean like yeh lol hope it helps and makes sense =/

pman

Banned
HSC
If your going to do 3U math probs Physics?

depends whether your better at solving or you can remember alot like for chem u probs gotta remember like 70 elements but as to physics its like u solve problems i guess Physics is like equation equation equation solve this and solve that i mean like yeh lol hope it helps and makes sense =/
phys paper last yr was completly stupid and was mainly about assessing impacts on society IMO, waste of space

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)