Help with HSC and ATAR :) (1 Viewer)

kylie93

HSC
Hey,

I am currently in Year 11 and would like to know if I have made the right subject choices for getting a good ATAR score:

English Advanced
English Extension 1
Mathematics
Studies of Religion II
Economics
Legal Studies
Modern History

I would really like to achieve an ATAR over 90 as I want to get into a Law/Commerce degree at university or something along those lines. I am getting above average marks in all of my subjects, except for Mathematics. I did shocking in my last exam :| and was thinking of dropping to General but I know that many universities recommend Mathematics for commerce courses and I'm afraid that if I drop then this will jeopardise my chances into getting into the course. However, I dont want to lower my ATAR either by sticking with Mathematics? Any advice??

Also I am doing 13 units, yet I dont have any that I want to drop and was wondering if this is too many for Year 12? If I did drop one, it would most probably be English Extension, but i really want a good ATAR so I'm not too keen on dropping it.

Any advice would be greatly appreciated :)

muzeikchun852

HSC
Fuck I hate threads like this.
well. i hate it too, but i will still help and clearly s/he really need some.

Also I am doing 13 units, yet I dont have any that I want to drop and was wondering if this is too many for Year 12?
as far as i know 13 units wont be a problem. the number of units is really a personal choice. see whether u can handle the workload then u can work from there.

If I did drop one, it would most probably be English Extension, but i really want a good ATAR so I'm not too keen on dropping it.

clearly indicates that's a rhetorical question.:tongue:

dan2452

HSC
Yes, those are good subjects for a high ATAR, as long as you do well in them.

It's not necessarily the subject choices, but your marks in the HSC which determine your ATAR.

Although scaling does affect your ATAR positively if you do well :)

lpodnano

5eva alone
HSC
Just to be clear. The BOS have levelled the playing field of the HSC as much as they could possibly can and that ANYONE can get 99.95 with any combination of subjects (unless you don't meet the requirements for an ATAR).

hood hood

HSC
Hey,

I am currently in Year 11 and would like to know if I have made the right subject choices for getting a good ATAR score:

English Advanced
English Extension 1
Mathematics
Studies of Religion II
Economics
Legal Studies
Modern History

I would really like to achieve an ATAR over 90 as I want to get into a Law/Commerce degree at university or something along those lines. I am getting above average marks in all of my subjects, except for Mathematics. I did shocking in my last exam :| and was thinking of dropping to General but I know that many universities recommend Mathematics for commerce courses and I'm afraid that if I drop then this will jeopardise my chances into getting into the course. However, I dont want to lower my ATAR either by sticking with Mathematics? Any advice??

Also I am doing 13 units, yet I dont have any that I want to drop and was wondering if this is too many for Year 12? If I did drop one, it would most probably be English Extension, but i really want a good ATAR so I'm not too keen on dropping it.

Well basically if ur saying that u r getting good in all ur subjects except maths I think it would be beta if u drop one subject and trust me ive talk to most people who have done their hsc and also teachers as at the end it really doesn’t matter dat much of what subjects u do it just matters how much u get!! ( aka I was in yr 11 last yr and I was always stressed bout dis situation to).. J

slyhunter

Retired
HSC
Fuck I hate threads like this.
I agree wholeheartedly. People need to realise that ANY combination of subjects can lead to a HIGH ATAR. I have said this too many times in who knows how many threads like this.

supercalamari

you've got the love
HSC
I agree wholeheartedly. People need to realise that ANY combination of subjects can lead to a HIGH ATAR. I have said this too many times in who knows how many threads like this.
Agreed. I know a handful of people who didn't even do maths and have gotten a very high ATAR. Like, 49+ points higher then a kid I know who did 4 unit maths, sucked at it and got 50.05.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)