Having a hard time (1 Viewer)

aspirational

HSC
Hey, its my first time posting on here, i felt as if i had to get some advice!

i havent been doing so well for the first few tests for my subjects.. i really feel disgusted by some of the marks i got back this term and really felt like giving up on my studies at times, i truly don't know how to redeem myself for term 2, longer study? perhaps.. ? really need to be topping classes but i feel as if the spark is gone.

can you guys help me out!

CecilyMare

HSC
Go to a uni website like usyd and check out what degree you wanna get, and then check out all the subjects and it just excites/motivates you like a monk

aspirational

HSC
i have a basic idea of what i want to do, its just through the marks im getting at the moment im really scared, im finding it hard to study as when i even open a book at home i get a headache, and getting low marks is NOT good, epically when your surrounded by arrogant and selfish class mates who laugh at your marks -.-.

really need to be topping classes and pulling off amazing things, its just.. right now ill settle for a job at Kmart for the rest of my life if im lucky ><

harrisony

goodbye cruel world
HSC
N/A
are the goals your setting realistic?
If your a student that say got marks of the 50's in all your tests in year 10 and are aiming for high 90's now. its a bit :S

Run us through your day, how do you "study"?

musing

HSC
i have a basic idea of what i want to do, its just through the marks im getting at the moment im really scared, im finding it hard to study as when i even open a book at home i get a headache, and getting low marks is NOT good, epically when your surrounded by arrogant and selfish class mates who laugh at your marks -.-.
Use that as a motivation and beat them!

Ritard_

Banned
HSC
i got 33% in prelim half yearly english lol
band overall though
you can easily make up for disappointing prelim results

alcalder

Just ask for help
HSC
N/A
Hi Aspirational,

Firstly, please get out of your head that you "need to be topping classes". You don't. You need to be enjoying what you are doing and focussing on the end result will not allow you to enjoy the process.

Now, you need to look at these first few tests not as a set back, rather as a challenge. Here's a good thought, it's all up from here. Imagine if you had been top and gotten 100%. It would now be all downhill.

Another thing you need to remember, study is not everything in your life. If you have given up anything you passionately enjoy (sport, or stuff like that) take it back up and use your time more efficiently when you are not doing it to focus and study properly. You need those times in your life as a reward, to clear your head and refresh your soul.

Studying longer is not the answer, studying smarter is. Use smaller blocks of time effectively by eliminating all distractions and give yourself short rewards after, say, 30 minutes or an hour. Actually make yourself a study/homework schedule and STICK TO IT. Encourage your family to help you out by putting that schedule up in the kitchen where everyone can see it and they will know when not to disturb you.

Now, look at your subjects. Are these subjects things you are passionate about, or are you just doing them because you were told to, it was expected of you, or you view them (as some people do when they choose subjects like 4U maths) as sorts of status symbols? It's not too late to change to other subjects, surely, if you think something else may fire your passion.

Anyway, I hope that helps a little.

aspirational

HSC
Hi Aspirational,

Firstly, please get out of your head that you "need to be topping classes". You don't. You need to be enjoying what you are doing and focussing on the end result will not allow you to enjoy the process.

Now, you need to look at these first few tests not as a set back, rather as a challenge. Here's a good thought, it's all up from here. Imagine if you had been top and gotten 100%. It would now be all downhill.

Another thing you need to remember, study is not everything in your life. If you have given up anything you passionately enjoy (sport, or stuff like that) take it back up and use your time more efficiently when you are not doing it to focus and study properly. You need those times in your life as a reward, to clear your head and refresh your soul.

Studying longer is not the answer, studying smarter is. Use smaller blocks of time effectively by eliminating all distractions and give yourself short rewards after, say, 30 minutes or an hour. Actually make yourself a study/homework schedule and STICK TO IT. Encourage your family to help you out by putting that schedule up in the kitchen where everyone can see it and they will know when not to disturb you.

Now, look at your subjects. Are these subjects things you are passionate about, or are you just doing them because you were told to, it was expected of you, or you view them (as some people do when they choose subjects like 4U maths) as sorts of status symbols? It's not too late to change to other subjects, surely, if you think something else may fire your passion.

Anyway, I hope that helps a little.
Great advice, I really do enjoy the idea's and concepts that i learn in most of my subjects, i know 100% is not possible all the time, its just I want to kind of keep up with the rest of the class with those high 80's and mid 90's, anyone know a good study plan? Perhaps an hour per subject every night totaling 6 hours a night?

supercalamari

you've got the love
HSC
Keep trying. I found year 11 ridiculously hard. It takes a while to adapt to the changes. Have faith in yourself :)

t00l

HSC
find more things to do. i used to be a lazy bum and only managed to get average marks in tests. After i started going gym and tons of other extracurricular shit, i had the motivation to do work, study etc and felt much better abt myself

Lolsmith

kill all boomers
HSC
Don't stress. Year 11 doesn't even matter. The only thing you should really pay close attention in is 2U maths. Only because 30% of your HSC exam can be on the preliminary syllabus.

Hey, why don't you study real hard during the year, then go bad on your tests on purpose? Lull your competitors into a false sense of security, then blow their shit outta the water next year for the HSC. That'll really get at 'em.

Again: Don't stress. Year 11 is a practice year for a reason.

emilyo

apathetic member
HSC
year 11 doesnt count, its just a practice year so you can get ready for what is expected in year 12 its perfectly ok to stuff up just learn from it. Everyone i know including me struggled in year 11 (and 12) and managed to get amazing marks. Remember your atar is a rank! what is important is how you compare to the rest of the state. Your school might have higer expectations and harder tests but dont worry, this will set you up quite nicely come hsc. Just make sure you are keeping on top of your work (but dont stress seriously its not worth it). Maybe ask your teachers why you didnt do so well they'll be happy to help you.

aspirational

HSC
I guess for term 2 (being the half yearlies) ill really have to put in the time and study hard and do well within my exams, really need to accomplish this with out failure.

any study plan ideas anyone? would appreciate a nice idea of a good study plan that works well! mine is horrible at the moment, going to bed at like 4 in the morning etc.

klaris

HSC
look, don't stress. i would say most of us are struggling somehow to settle in to year eleven.

some of the best students in the junior school are now struggling. i used to be EXCELLENT at english. top marks every time. but, at times, i struggle with extension and doubt my ability.

you can't be at your peak all the time; otherwise you would have nothing to compare it to. one of my teachers told us the kids who were getting TOP marks in the junior school will probably struggle as they feel they aren't improving and not getting anyway, because they were already quite good. idk if this is you or not, but consider that.

CecilyMare

HSC
i got awesome advice from our librarian today

actually i knew that it would be better for me to be doing this, but i didn't think it was completely right until she suggested it. if you're doing any humanities subjects, including english, stuff the topics you're doing right now. use most of your time reading a broad range of literature and good WWII or w/e core study in mod/ancient history you're doing next year books. learn concepts in english such as existentialism and you'll start analysing everytihng whilst you're reading for fun :p

actually don't listen to my babble, i just find it good for me

t00l

HSC
any study plan ideas anyone? would appreciate a nice idea of a good study plan that works well! mine is horrible at the moment, going to bed at like 4 in the morning etc.
u should develop ur own study arrangements and not take off someone elses. Make one that suits you, even if it means doing homework for 30 min a day or something. You can eventually modify as you feel like it and should be most effective i think

alcalder

Just ask for help
HSC
N/A
Great advice, I really do enjoy the idea's and concepts that i learn in most of my subjects, i know 100% is not possible all the time, its just I want to kind of keep up with the rest of the class with those high 80's and mid 90's, anyone know a good study plan? Perhaps an hour per subject every night totaling 6 hours a night?
NO! Don't do 6 hours a night, you'll burn yourself out.

Do your homework, as required. Do it in short bursts. If you then still have time left in your night's study schedule, do some study for 1 subject.

Multiple subject study will not be effective and you'll forget stuff.

An idea might be:

COME HOME (assume this is about 4pm)
20 minutes Rest and afternoon tea
30 minutes homework
10 minute reward
30 minute homework/study
10 minute reward
30 minute homework/study
DINNER with family - sit, talk, enjoy the company
if you must, do one more set of 30 minute study/homework (that makes 2 hours)

THEN enjoy the evening, watch some TV, early to bed at about 8:30pm and get a GOOD rest.

Mix this up on different days and make sure you get out and do those activities that you enjoy - sport, music lessons etc.

Don't overdo the study just yet. For Year 11 this may even be OTT if you do it EVERY day. Ramp it up in Year 12, but not by much. Try and aim for 8:30 pm bed to get the most out of your sleep. You can't learn if you aren't properly rested.

aspirational

HSC
NO! Don't do 6 hours a night, you'll burn yourself out.

Do your homework, as required. Do it in short bursts. If you then still have time left in your night's study schedule, do some study for 1 subject.

Multiple subject study will not be effective and you'll forget stuff.

An idea might be:

COME HOME (assume this is about 4pm)
20 minutes Rest and afternoon tea
30 minutes homework
10 minute reward
30 minute homework/study
10 minute reward
30 minute homework/study
DINNER with family - sit, talk, enjoy the company
if you must, do one more set of 30 minute study/homework (that makes 2 hours)

THEN enjoy the evening, watch some TV, early to bed at about 8:30pm and get a GOOD rest.

Mix this up on different days and make sure you get out and do those activities that you enjoy - sport, music lessons etc.

Don't overdo the study just yet. For Year 11 this may even be OTT if you do it EVERY day. Ramp it up in Year 12, but not by much. Try and aim for 8:30 pm bed to get the most out of your sleep. You can't learn if you aren't properly rested.
thank you! this sounds like a great study pattern! ill give it a try when term 2 is around which will be real soon, must redeem myself!

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)