Preliminary required for HSC? (1 Viewer)

HSC
Uni Grad
I've read a lot of posts saying there's no point in doing well in Preliminary course, is it true? Like if I totally bludged Preliminary Physics, would I be able to go well in HSC Physics?

bachviete

HSC
N/A
I completely disagree with the above post. Every preliminary course builds up to the HSC course. If you want to do well in the HSC the most important thing is understanding. And to understand the HSC course you must understand the preliminary course.

For example if you didnt pay attention in preliminary physics and bludged and you completely didnt understand what a potential difference really was or didnt understand the diagrams regarding the directions of magnetic fields how on earth can you expect to understand the core topic "motors and generators"! Or in maths, if you do not understand algebra, just memorise the formulas for algebra and hope that you can just plug in some numbers and get the right answer you will be stuffed for the HSC course.

You need to understand the basics to understand the more complicated stuff. This is especially true for the sciences and maths.

ohexploitable said:
Like if I totally bludged Preliminary Physics, would I be able to go well in HSC Physics?
Hell NO!!!

mirakon

nigga
HSC
Yes and no. It is true that fantastic marks in prelim do not necessarily mean you are going to achieve incredibly high marks in the HSC as well, but prelim work provides the foundation on which the HSC course is built. If you struggle with concepts in prelim or can't be bothered to learn them, you would likely struggle in the HSC course.

js992

HSC
Although almost completely useless, it is important to develop good study habits / techniques.

I'm not saying go crazy and study and try top everything, you might just burn yourself but just keep up with what you are learning.

From what i know, maths is important from prelim to hsc

English is important to develop essay writing abilities etc'

Chemistry , make sure you have a good knowlodge of moles, mole calculations etc and intermolecular forces as they become important in the HSC course and becomes assumed knowledge

Physics is similar, you should really develop a rough understand at the least, of preliminary physics as much of HSC physics builds upon it.

Last edited:

J-lahh

HSC
i was told by my teachers to do as well as you can even though your prelim marks will not count towards your final HSC atar.

you still need to meet the minimum requirements to move onto the HSC year.

ar7

HSC
i bludged in prelim but am going good now in the hsc... so it all depends

Carrotsticks

Retired
HSC
N/A
I disagree. I believe that Prelim is very important in developing exam techniques, and developing good study habits so you don't get so overwhelmed in Year 12, where there is no 2nd chance like Prelim.

Although Prelim sometimes has little to do with the HSC course, you should develop a thorough understanding of it too. Skipping and bludging the Prelim course, then doing the HSC course is like saying: I'm not really gonna learn how to walk, but I'll learn how to run.

It all builds up in the end together, and people don't change. If you develop a good study habit early and actually keep it (most people drop within a month), then it will carry on into your HSC course.

xzkevinzx

HSC
if you want to bludge a subject, go for biology. you'd probably pass if you answered every question with 'surface area to volume ratio'
OMG lol agreee that's like the answer to most questions

Reanna

HSC
I've read a lot of posts saying there's no point in doing well in Preliminary course, is it true? Like if I totally bludged Preliminary Physics, would I be able to go well in HSC Physics?
NOOOOOOOOOOOOOOO!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

u need the key concepts which are built upon and complexified in year 12

very bad idea

you could still go well but would need a heap more work netx year

Tofuu

HSC
yes, you do need to do prelim as it will help you understand the later concepts in the HSC
but you don't need to do extremely well, just get a good grasp of things with decent marks
that should be enough to understand the HSC

ilikebeeef

HSC
Yes and no. It is true that fantastic marks in prelim do not necessarily mean you are going to achieve incredibly high marks in the HSC as well, but prelim work provides the foundation on which the HSC course is built. If you struggle with concepts in prelim or can't be bothered to learn them, you would likely struggle in the HSC course.
Skipping and bludging the Prelim course, then doing the HSC course is like saying: I'm not really gonna learn how to walk, but I'll learn how to run.
+1 for both.

It all builds up in the end together, and people don't change. If you develop a good study habit early and actually keep it (most people drop within a month), then it will carry on into your HSC course.
False assumption LOL.

if you want to bludge a subject, go for biology. you'd probably pass if you answered every question with 'surface area to volume ratio'
Hahahaha +1.

ilikebeeef

HSC
First of all, don't get an N-award.
Secondly, people CAN do well in HSC without doing well in Prelims, but they would need to put a lot more effort than others who did well. It's like being behind in a race and so you would need to catch up.

Don't bludge something you're planning to keep, unless it's bio. Just try your best. I wouldn't advise slacking off in Prelim Physics, because you certainly won't be for HSC (assuming that you want good marks).

To answer the thread title: Yes, Prelims is required for HSC.

Last edited:

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)