History Advice NEEDED! Thanks. (1 Viewer)

Oobadoo

HSC
I'm currently doing 14 units, as shown below; though Modern currently is quite dull. The work we are doing should be interesting (Holocaust) though my teacher makes it hideous. I doubt I have learnt anything near substantial.

My Question Is: Should I drop Modern to focus on my other courses, or keep it with the chance of doing History Extension next year? (I'm probably topping the course right now btw) If you know Hist. Ext., what does it involve, generally?

Thanks!

Freud

HSC
if your interest in it is waning, then why keep putting the effort into it?

when i did the hsc, modern was probably the subject with the highest workload i did. just because there is such an incredible amount of stuff to remember to really get the best marks you can.

also, if you did extention history, you'd have to drop something else.

Lolsmith

kill all boomers
HSC
In my opinion, you should drop Visual Arts. It's extremely difficult to get Band 6 in, and when you do, it's scaled horribly because LOTS of people get it. It can also be very expensive depending on your final product. Modern, although may be boring, scales quite good at the 90% area. It depends how you view the HSC. If you see it as a vessel to get you into Uni, then do what'll get you the marks. If you want to enjoy it more than get a 99.95 ATAR, then choose what you will enjoy.

History Extension is specifically about historiography. That is, it's purely about how history is produced and how historians go about developing their interpretations of history. There are different topics that are done in it. There's JFK, Queen Elizabeth, The History Wars (Australia) which show you how historians compile history and have changing interpretations. There are also a few very famous historians (in the field of history) looked at closer to give you a better idea of what historiography is about.
The main idea of Extension History is to get you to create and perform your own research task based on historiography. For example, my research task is about Joseph Stalin and how historians have portrayed him. It's very rarely a good portrayal. The only issue with this assessment is that you CANNOT do anything that crosses over into any (or possibly Senior) syllabus of any history subject. There are certain methods you can take around that to make it acceptable, which your teacher(s) can help you with.

Do what you can during your Preliminary year and see how you go with everything. Reassess what you want to do at the end of your year.
Hope that helped.

Last edited:

gella

HSC
if you're wanting to do extension history you obviously can't drop modern

Matt2233

HSC
Keep it for year 11, 14 units isn't really all that much work. If you like history you'll love history extension, it is an extremely enjoyable subject.

cem

Premium Member
HSC
N/A
In my opinion, you should drop Visual Arts. It's extremely difficult to get Band 6 in, and when you do, it's scaled horribly because LOTS of people get it. It can also be very expensive depending on your final product. Modern, although may be boring, scales quite good at the 90% area. It depends how you view the HSC. If you see it as a vessel to get you into Uni, then do what'll get you the marks. If you want to enjoy it more than get a 99.95 ATAR, then choose what you will enjoy.

History Extension is specifically about historiography. That is, it's purely about how history is produced and how historians go about developing their interpretations of history. There are different topics that are done in it. There's JFK, Queen Elizabeth, The History Wars (Australia) which show you how historians compile history and have changing interpretations. There are also a few very famous historians (in the field of history) looked at closer to give you a better idea of what historiography is about.
The main idea of Extension History is to get you to create and perform your own research task based on historiography. For example, my research task is about Joseph Stalin and how historians have portrayed him. It's very rarely a good portrayal. The only issue with this assessment is that you CANNOT do anything that crosses over into any (or possibly Senior) syllabus of any history subject. There are certain methods you can take around that to make it acceptable, which your teacher(s) can help you with.

Do what you can during your Preliminary year and see how you go with everything. Reassess what you want to do at the end of your year.
Hope that helped.
One small correction - the project can't significantly overlap any examinable SC or HSC syllabus not just the History ones although they are the most likely ones but you can't for instance do something on a Scientist that could be examined.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)