Couple of questions regarding subjects and schools (1 Viewer)

souljah888

HSC
Hi everyone , I'm a new member to this forum.

Anyways onto topic. So I'm currently attending a private school ( low rank) and i was thinking since my school is low ranked , would that drastically pull my marks down for the HSC? and since term 2 is after the holidays and I've got assessments coming up is it a wise choice to change schools or is it to late? And if i do change schools for instance , Can they guarantee the subjects which I'm currently doing at my school?

And another question is I'm currently struggling on chemistry ( other subjects i do are the following : Adv Eng, General Maths , Ancient history, Biology, Economics.) since I've gone through all of term 1's work, I feel that I'm not to confident in it . so should i change or work harder on it? ( if i do change these are the subjects i can choose : ( Drama , Industrial , Studies of Religion 2 <-- in my opinion not worthwhile for my career path which is a medical field .)

Thanks

iRuler

Premium Member
HSC
Uni Grad
Keep chem, and staying at a low ranked private school is a waste of money.

But your choice in the end, it could pull you down if everyone else is dumb.

muzeikchun852

HSC
would that drastically pull my marks down for the HSC?
depend on how ur classmates perform.

is it a wise choice to change schools or is it to late?
if u are really desperate to change school, it would be better to change it sooner, rather than later.

Can they guarantee the subjects which I'm currently doing at my school??
no.

And another question is I'm currently struggling on chemistry ( other subjects i do are the following : Adv Eng, General Maths , Ancient history, Biology, Economics.) since I've gone through all of term 1's work, I feel that I'm not to confident in it . so should i change or work harder on it? ( if i do change these are the subjects i can choose : ( Drama , Industrial , Studies of Religion 2 <-- in my opinion not worthwhile for my career path which is a medical field .)
if u dont feel cofident with chemistry, u should change a subject that u are good at or comfortable with. if either drama, indistrial, studies of religion 2 fit in, just stick with chemistry and see how u goes.

Lolsmith

kill all boomers
HSC
If you're after a degree in Medicine, you need to pick up your marks. Even at UWS, the average ATAR in a medicine course is something ridiculous like 95+.

Don't worry about how well you're doing in courses this year. Year 11 is a practice year. The only thing you even need to care about this year is any of the maths courses you do. 30% of Prelim can be tested in the final HSC.

Don't bother changing schools because it's a lot more hassle than it's worth when you could stay in your current school and just study. All in all, if you obtain rank 1 in everything before the final HSC comes along, your marks will be good internally and you can perform well in your final exams. I'm very sure that regardless how batshit stupid the rest of your grade is, your final HSC exam mark, if its the top, is unaltered.

tl;dr: Don't stress too much over this sorta thing. It's only year 11. Just make sure you go good next year.

souljah888

HSC
Thanks for the replies , I'll keep chem and try work harder at it I'm just getting 70's atm and its letting me down :(

And with changing schools is there a thread on this forum about Decent schools? Term 2 isn't too late is it?

@ "lolsmiths" reply What do you mean it'll be more of a hassle ? hassle that i cant fit into the school? or obtaining the subjects that i need? hmm, there are some bright kids in my grade so it'll be hard for me to top them. Lets say if i get top 10% in my grade for each subject would my mark still be altered?

Last edited:

Lolsmith

kill all boomers
HSC
It's 20% of 2u maths, all of 3u maths.
Are you sure? I've been told by my teacher that 30% of prelim 2 Unit can be tested in the HSC. Whatever, it's not too tough.
I didn't really realise 3U. Makes sense now, though. Fuck. I'm stuck with circle geometry. :cry: I did know that 2 Unit can be tested in 3 Unit at any difficulty.

souljah888:
It's more of a hassle because there's new teachers that you have to adapt to, they have to find out how you learn, what kind of person you are, etc. It's also annoying if it's a separate type of travel that's more difficult or lengthy. There's no point in going through that whole transitional phase if you don't need to. It's purely a waste of time.

The way the final HSC marks work is that your internal (school assessment) marks are sent to the Board of Studies. If you have the highest rank out of your grade, you are given the highest HSC exam mark, regardless of what mark you actually achieved. I'm very sure that this is not changed or swayed by the rest of your grade's marks. If you are not ranked first, the rest of your grade's exam marks can both pull your exam marks up and down. As far as I'm aware, your final internal marks do not change.

I hope that helped.

iRuler

Premium Member
HSC
Uni Grad
Are you sure? I've been told by my teacher that 30% of prelim 2 Unit can be tested in the HSC. Whatever, it's not too tough.
I didn't really realise 3U. Makes sense now, though. Fuck. I'm stuck with circle geometry. :cry: I did know that 2 Unit can be tested in 3 Unit at any difficulty.
Pretty sure it's 30 for both.
Refer to one of my previous posts here:

http://community.boredofstudies.org...nary-hsc/242519/prelim-exams.html#post5017750

Sarah182

Herpes Member
HSC
Hi everyone , I'm a new member to this forum.

Anyways onto topic. So I'm currently attending a private school ( low rank) and i was thinking since my school is low ranked , would that drastically pull my marks down for the HSC? and since term 2 is after the holidays and I've got assessments coming up is it a wise choice to change schools or is it to late? And if i do change schools for instance , Can they guarantee the subjects which I'm currently doing at my school?

Thanks

I reckon you should start looking round for schools you want to go to (check out rankings, talk to people ect.) and just change for the HSC, they may be and are most likely studying completely different texts to you in english and completing certain subjects such as maths and a different order regarding topics.
In summation, stay for Year 11, get out of there for Year 12.

iRuler

Premium Member
HSC
Uni Grad
Fair enough. The link on the other post didn't load for me (internet sucks) but I'll take your word for it.
Fair enuf, here it is:

iRuler said:
:D 30 you mean
Nope.

20%

see the following:

Board of Studies said:
Assessment for the HSC course must not commence until after the completion of the
Preliminary course. Once the assessment of the HSC course has commenced, some
Preliminary course work can be included in assessment tasks for Mathematics. No more
than 20% of the Mathematics assessment is to be based on the Preliminary course.
Here's the link.

http://www.boardofstudies.nsw.edu.au/syllabus_hsc/pdf_doc/maths_assess_curr_info.pdf

(Only for 2u, everything for 3u can be tested)
:rofl::rofl::rofl:

thongetsu

Where aren't I?
HSC
i thought everything was tested for maths, i know all prelim is tested in 3u

Lolsmith

kill all boomers
HSC
I meant the link in the other post you originally linked to. >.< I could see that part just fine, not the board of studies' pdf file.

Sarah182

Herpes Member
HSC
I think the confusion is in the percentage of the HSC exam that can be from prelim.

I think 30% of the HSC exam for 3u and 2u can be prelim??

Lolsmith

kill all boomers
HSC
I think the confusion is in the percentage of the HSC exam that can be from prelim.

I think 30% of the HSC exam for 3u and 2u can be prelim??
That's what I thought, but iRuler is quoting the Board of Studies saying that only 20% of preliminary 2U is examinable in the HSC. Also that ALL of 3U is examinable. Makes sense, I suppose, being 1 unit and all.

Lolsmith

kill all boomers
HSC
Oh jeez. Thanks for that.

Blegh. Circle Geometry. If you do 3U iRuler, find any topics difficult?

116Unashamed

HSC
I went to a private school that was low rank (in the bottom 50%). The Dux got 99.85, 2nd 99.55, 3rd 97.25 and 4th 96.85. So as corny as it sounds just put in enough hard work and you'll go good even though most you're grade won't be getting the top bands.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)