English EXTENSION: Is it really worth it?! (1 Viewer)

Lauchlan

HSC
13 units in prelim isnt that crazy, but its starting to get a bit on the unnecessary side.
im wondering whether extension is worth my while, ATAR-wise and university-wise...
im not rushing out to drop it yet, but i thought id put this out there.

what do YOU think???

ilikebeeef

HSC
If you're absolutely sure you're not going to do it in Year 12, you absolutely hate it and/or are not good at it, then you should drop it. But really, this is for you to decide.

zxreth

HSC
in terms of the atar it is definately worth it as it is a very good scaler as all extension subjects are. um, uni-wise im not too sure but i guess it depends on what course you are aiming to get into at uni. hope this helps =]

ilikebeeef

HSC
in terms of the atar it is definately worth it as it is a very good scaler as all extension subjects are. um, uni-wise im not too sure but i guess it depends on what course you are aiming to get into at uni. hope this helps =]
It doesn't scale that epically tbh. It's better to do subjects which you enjoy.

brendroid

HSC
In Year 11, which in some cases doesn't count, you could do Extension English. Keeping in mind two units of English do count, you might find the extra English unit might help improve your Advanced mark - it may not, but you might develop more skills in the more involved and complex course that raises your mark in Advanced. So keep it as long as you feel you should, but I'm saying it could be useful to use as a subject just to improve your techniques in.

Lauchlan

HSC
If you're absolutely sure you're not going to do it in Year 12, you absolutely hate it and/or are not good at it, then you should drop it. But really, this is for you to decide.
i dont hate it, nor would i blindly follow any advice.
i dont think i could confidently say anything i will be doing in 2011. but thats life.

Lauchlan

HSC
cool, yeahhh i would think it would only be useful for english degrees n stuff, anything else? ive been told the HSC exam for it is very hard to do well at.

Lauchlan

HSC
In Year 11, which in some cases doesn't count, you could do Extension English. Keeping in mind two units of English do count, you might find the extra English unit might help improve your Advanced mark - it may not, but you might develop more skills in the more involved and complex course that raises your mark in Advanced. So keep it as long as you feel you should, but I'm saying it could be useful to use as a subject just to improve your techniques in.
for now, i agree with you.

Absolutezero

real human bean
HSC
N/A
i would think it would only be useful for english degrees n stuff, anything else?
The skills are useful for any university degree that requires you to write essays, which is a lot of them. Basically, if you're considering anything in the social sciences/arts, EX1 is a good subject to take.

13 units in prelim isn't too bad. There are quite a lot doing 14 or more. I'd say give it a go, and if you don't like it or find it difficult to manage, then just drop it.

yups

HSC
if you're not interested in it, then i'd say drop it .. i do it (because i have to) , and i can tell you it's not worth it .. there's soooo much work involved all for 1 extra unit .

ilikebeeef

HSC
i dont hate it, nor would i blindly follow any advice.
i dont think i could confidently say anything i will be doing in 2011. but thats life.
i enjoy it. time management is the issue here, as well as priorities.
If you don't hate it, then place it in relation to your other subjects.

I said whatever you should do, you decide. If you still can't, try discussing this with your year advisor. He/she should know you better than us.

hvf26

Awesome Member
HSC
do it in yr11, doesnt matter if its a lot more work (itll help you develop your skills for adv)
if you hate it just drop it, if you dont then keep it and drop something else
there is honestly nothing wrong in doing it for prelim

Lauchlan

HSC
The skills are useful for any university degree that requires you to write essays, which is a lot of them. Basically, if you're considering anything in the social sciences/arts, EX1 is a good subject to take.

13 units in prelim isn't too bad. There are quite a lot doing 14 or more. I'd say give it a go, and if you don't like it or find it difficult to manage, then just drop it.
:)

Lauchlan

HSC
if you're not interested in it, then i'd say drop it .. i do it (because i have to) , and i can tell you it's not worth it .. there's soooo much work involved all for 1 extra unit .
what do u have to do it for?

Lauchlan

HSC
If you don't hate it, then place it in relation to your other subjects.

I said whatever you should do, you decide. If you still can't, try discussing this with your year advisor. He/she should know you better than us.
MMMK i remember he said last year that 12 units in year 12 is crazy. i disagree as many ppl dont drop after year 11 as its helpful... but 13... hmmmm

Lauchlan

HSC
do it in yr11, doesnt matter if its a lot more work (itll help you develop your skills for adv)
if you hate it just drop it, if you dont then keep it and drop something else
there is honestly nothing wrong in doing it for prelim
yepo

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)