English exam (1 Viewer)

fly8

HSC
Hey, ive got half yearlies straight after holidays and uhh, im struggling to write my essay cause of my concentration level, but anyway i wanted to ask how do you prepare an essay for an exam?
since you dont know the essay question, i think your suppose to just write an essay based on your topic which is discovery for me, but how do i change it so it will work for the essay question given?

thanks.

oh and anybody know any good relative texts for discovery?
(Im doing the play "Away")

HSC
Uni Grad
You need to relate to the notes that you've researched yourself.....
Also you should jot down a whole bunch of quotes from the text. From there you also have to explain what it conveys and how it's relevant to your thesis....

And in an essay question, it would be a good idea if you spent 5 minutes jotting down some notes... Then after that you could grasp a lot of stuff that you revised from before (if you've revised properly).

Sometimes you should try practicing writing essays with different questions under examination conditions. It can really help with your actual English exam.

fly8

HSC
You need to relate to the notes that you've researched yourself.....
Also you should jot down a whole bunch of quotes from the text. From there you also have to explain what it conveys and how it's relevant to your thesis....

And in an essay question, it would be a good idea if you spent 5 minutes jotting down some notes... Then after that you could grasp a lot of stuff that you revised from before (if you've revised properly).

Sometimes you should try practicing writing essays with different questions under examination conditions. It can really help with your actual English exam.
what has to be in the notes? like ideas? themes?

and would i have to make a thesis based on the essay question thats given?
do i have to change my topic sentences?

s2 SEductive

MostDefinitelyIncredible
HSC
Just practice thesis statements and your introduction. The introduction is most probably the hardest component of an essay.
You can include like what discovery is , your related material. Make it sophisticated . I know it's hard ><
The body is probably the most easiest , As you just implement on your idea's on discovery and how these idea's relate to discovery .
Remember to use Mr STEEL for your paragraphs.
The conclusion is basically summing it all up, answers the Q.

You may also practice some made up Q's that you think might be in the test!!

:)

fly8

HSC
Just practice thesis statements and your introduction. The introduction is most probably the hardest component of an essay.
You can include like what discovery is , your related material. Make it sophisticated . I know it's hard ><
The body is probably the most easiest , As you just implement on your idea's on discovery and how these idea's relate to discovery .
Remember to use Mr STEEL for your paragraphs.
The conclusion is basically summing it all up, answers the Q.

You may also practice some made up Q's that you think might be in the test!!

:)
whats MR STEEL
its probably similar to what i follow but please do expand :D

annabackwards

<3 Prophet 9
HSC
"Away" by Michael Gow. I remember doing that - twas a simple, straight forward text. You can pick basically any movie and you could relate it to "Away".

Get themes and evidence (quotes/techniques) to back up your themes. When you get into the exam, form a thesis based on the themes you had chosen/researched beforehand and perhaps jot down an outline of the essay you're going to write if you have bad memory.
If you've awesome memory and are game enough, you can make a flexible/general essay :)

HSC
Uni Grad
what has to be in the notes? like ideas? themes?

and would i have to make a thesis based on the essay question thats given?
do i have to change my topic sentences?
Yeah in the notes, you gotta include ideas/themes, quotes, explanation of quotes as to how it related back to your thesis...

Yes you would have to create a thesis statement. Don't forget that when you go in further detail, your details have to be consistent with the thesis as you stated...
Hmm for topic sentences.... i'm not quite sure about 'changing topic sentences'. Care to elaborate for me?

Oh yeah and don't forget to answer the question, coz people forget that and I forget it too.

s2 SEductive

MostDefinitelyIncredible
HSC
whats MR STEEL
its probably similar to what i follow but please do expand :D
S - Statement - state your thesis.Always begin each paragraph with your thesis point.

T - Technique - ensure that youi include an important technique that supports your thesis.

E - Example - Always include an example from the test.This might be a quote or you might paraphrase an important part.

E - Effect - always explain the effect of your technique !! discuss how the technique makes an impacts on the text.

L - Linking - close your paragraph with a sentence that links to your thesis or links with the Question.

HSC
Uni Grad
S - Statement - state your thesis.Always begin each paragraph with your thesis point.

T - Technique - ensure that youi include an important technique that supports your thesis.

E - Example - Always include an example from the test.This might be a quote or you might paraphrase an important part.

E - Effect - always explain the effect of your technique !! discuss how the technique makes an impacts on the text.

L - Linking - close your paragraph with a sentence that links to your thesis or links with the Question.
.... and this is the perfect example on what you should do in every paragraph.

zxreth

HSC
to get an idea of what question you might get, have a look at ur syllabus. Then try to form a question using the dot points and answer the question using an essay.

fly8

HSC

my tutor told me to have at least 6-10 techniques per paragraph, meaning like 3 quotes.

sounds about right?

to get an idea of what question you might get, have a look at ur syllabus. Then try to form a question using the dot points and answer the question using an essay.

thanks for the advice :).
isnt everyone syllabus the same?

zxreth

HSC
no probs. yeah im pretty sure everyone should be using the same syllabus. i mean it is set by the board of studies.

fly8

HSC
smoke weeed nigga, dats how u be kreativ
LOL haha no.
this is an analytical thing.
not a creative thing.

yes i used the word thing cause i didnt know what else to call it

hscishard

HSC
my tutor told me to have at least 6-10 techniques per paragraph, meaning like 3 quotes.

sounds about right?

thanks for the advice :).
isnt everyone syllabus the same?
Not for year 11.

Like..wtf 6-10 techniques for ONE paragraph. 3 quotes? What the hell. Don't you mean 6-10 techniques for one point?

I cannot imagine how your essays are spaced out. 4 Super-paragraphs :eek:

Jafoos

HSC
6-10 techniques for ONE paragraph? ONE? Good luck, and good bye.

In an exam (for prelim HSC half yearly) you'd probably get given 40 minutes to write an essay. In that, THERE IS NO WAY IN HELL you'd be able to put 6-10 techniques a paragraph.

And, for you helpful people, I'm doing the poems "Spring Hail" by Les Murray and "The Love Song of J. Alfred Prufrock" by TS Eliot. Any ideas on related texts? One for each should do =D
The theme on Spring Hail = the transition to adulthood, and the reluctance to follow it.
Prufrock = fear of society's judgement/ loneliness/ fear of many things.

PLEASE HELP D= I need it D=

supercalamari

you've got the love
HSC
Not for year 11.

Like..wtf 6-10 techniques for ONE paragraph. 3 quotes? What the hell. Don't you mean 6-10 techniques for one point?

I cannot imagine how your essays are spaced out. 4 Super-paragraphs :eek:
*Gulp*

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)