Dropping Adv. English? (1 Viewer)

forme

HSC
N/A
I did terrible in my English Adv. exam :(
I just passed with a 52% :burn:
I don't know if I should stay or not?
Is the workload the same?
How many essays do you have to write in the final exam?

My teacher is pressuring my to drop down. I like the texts we are doing, it's interesting.

The reason why my score was low was I didn't memorise my essay and for the listening task I had no clue. If anyone can show me tips on how to write an essay for the listening task, that'd be nice. ;:headbang:

zxreth

HSC
lol im thinking of picking adv english up in the next 2 weeks or so :D

anyways, i don't think the workload vary's too much (this is the case at my school). and YES i definately recommend you stay in advanced it is much better than standard in terms of scaling or w/e.

muzeikchun852

HSC

My teacher is pressuring my to drop down. I like the texts we are doing, it's interesting.

The reason why my score was low was I didn't memorise my essay and for the listening task I had no clue. If anyone can show me tips on how to write an essay for the listening task, that'd be nice. ;:headbang:
the texts in advanced is not that difficult but the demand of the quality is high. but its only term two, i think u should wait a few more assessment task and see how u goes.

muzeikchun852

HSC
workload is almost the same with standard but the text is easier. the essays that u have to remember is the same. is still area of study and 3 modules in standard.

HSC
Uni Grad
lol i think you should stay in advanced English because;

- scaling (don't necessarily make a judgment based on that though)
- English advanced isn't really much harder; you just have to do the comparison
- most universities offer bonus points to those who do English advanced over standard
- you should use the skills in english advanced to develop your writing on the other subjects...

besides i got 60% on my most recent english advanced assessment task and I'm still keeping it :p

smartalec

HSC
you should definitely wait and see how you go in the upcoming assessment tasks. maybe listening tasks arent your thing. untill this year, i wasnt even considering advanced english, but i did it after reading everyones reports on the bad scaling of standard which i was extremely oblivious of, i went up and i am currently coming 4/40th :)
i wasnt even that good at english. so just keep it :)
dont base your overall results on one assessment task. for all i know ill never come 4th again haha

Zainoo

HSC
Hey, I don't think you should drop. It's better to just pass in advanced than get good in standard. That's what I reckon, and it's the only thing that's stopping me from not dropping Advanced English myself :S
Currently struggling on an essay about William Wordsworth poems. so uncool.
goodluck!

hscishard

HSC
Have you seen how bad english standard scales?

I personally will work extremely hard in adv rather than do well in standard.

martinc

HSC
Wait. Don't give into early pressures. I took the whole of Year 11 to really understand how to do essays well and everything and that was just in time for Year12.

Don't take early assessments as a true indicator of how well you will go in the rest of the year. After three - four assessments, and you don't see yourself improving much, drop down.

Furthermore, your understanding of the textual concepts in Advanced and Standard are what, in my opinion matter the most. I believe that, as you enjoy your texts, you must have a good understanding of themes and such.

Don't drop just yet.

Besides, marks don't really say anything, and its your rank that counts.

forme

HSC
N/A
Yeah I do have problem memorising, well maybe because I don't start earlier. I think I should do that :p How do you guys memorise 4 essays for the final exam? Or structure an exam on the spot?

I want to improve my english but the pressure is really on and I got a reality check after my results now I'm determined :)

thanks

Lolsmith

kill all boomers
HSC
The point he was making is that you're not meant to memorise essays. Last year's, this year's, and most likely your year's, HSC will be designed to stop people memorising pre-prepared essays. Ultimately, you won't have an understanding of the texts and you will fail or score very poorly in comparison to if you studied properly.

Learn your texts thoroughly and properly, as well as what the syllabus demands of them, and then craft it to your questions. You still have to develop your writing skills fully, so don't drop it yet. Drop down next year if you truly have issues with Advanced.

annabackwards

<3 Prophet 9
HSC
lol i think you should stay in advanced English because;

- scaling (don't necessarily make a judgment based on that though)
- English advanced isn't really much harder; you just have to do the comparison
- most universities offer bonus points to those who do English advanced over standard
- you should use the skills in english advanced to develop your writing on the other subjects...

besides i got 60% on my most recent english advanced assessment task and I'm still keeping it :p
Change that to aligning and i'd have to agree.

The point he was making is that you're not meant to memorise essays. Last year's, this year's, and most likely your year's, HSC will be designed to stop people memorising pre-prepared essays. Ultimately, you won't have an understanding of the texts and you will fail or score very poorly in comparison to if you studied properly.

Learn your texts thoroughly and properly, as well as what the syllabus demands of them, and then craft it to your questions. You still have to develop your writing skills fully, so don't drop it yet. Drop down next year if you truly have issues with Advanced.
If you're smart, "memorising" an essay = analysing the text properly and being able to adapt your knowledge.

There's no way to stop smart people from memorising a base essay, unless they change the entire course so it's more like EE1.

Lolsmith

kill all boomers
HSC
I agree to an extent. There are people, they've done it at my school, who thought they could get away with just memorising an essay they'd be writing for a few weeks. They then had to change that inside the exam hall. Base essays are slightly different, though.

57o1i

Premium Member
HSC
Memorised base essays and creatives for every Advanced and EE1 section I ever did and it worked a charm. Nothing wrong with it as long as you go in knowing you'll have to be flexible.

OP, I reckon you should stick with Advanced as well. You've got ages to improve your marks.

To answer your other question, you do two final exams with three sections in each. It amounts to four essays (or other analytical text types), one creative and a short answer section.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)