A New Course (1 Viewer)

smartalec

HSC
I have been thinking. There should be a new course in between general mathematics and mathematics. like an intermediate mathematics. does anyone agree?
I mean, a LOT of people failed their mathematic test last term and the course rather than getting easier, is said to be getting harder. Therefore, many students have felt obliged to drop mathematics and go into general mathematics because they feel stupid - however, after trying general maths theyre laughing at the ease of the course and contemplate to themselves whether they made the right decision since scaling varys so much.
does anyone else agree? some of the kids in my grade doing 3 unit mathematic are getting better results in their extension class than their mathematics class!

fh1993

HSC
I agree with you, i failed my mathematics test and now im dropping down to general cause our teacher said that the test we did last term was the easiest that we're gonna do.

deviousgeek

The Game.
HSC
Indeed, a moderate/intermediate course would be awesome.

I bit the bullet and fell back because of a devastatingly hard test in year 11 :(
So as a result, I thought that I wouldn't stand a chance in year 12.

Only problem is that Gen. Maths limits your uni course options (Depending on what you're planning on going into, of course).

HSC
Uni Grad
Yar, an intermediate course called "Mathematics Standard", make it what English Standard is to English Advanced. Also, rename Mathematics to Mathematics Advanced.

So General Mathematics becomes like ESL.

harrisony

goodbye cruel world
HSC
N/A
what about making the general course harder?

shuttle_bus5

HSC
Yar, an intermediate course called "Mathematics Standard", make it what English Standard is to English Advanced. Also, rename Mathematics to Mathematics Advanced.

So General Mathematics becomes like ESL.
Totally agree that general should become ESL.

pman

Banned
HSC
bring back the old sandpit maths which was below general and make general harder.

HSC
Uni Grad

HSC
Uni Grad
And maybe there SHOULD be a new course for Chinese;
And it should fit between Chinese Continuers and Background Speakers

I think it had been discussed before and will probably be implemented but I think it's called Chinese Heritage. Not too hard, not too easy either.

And probably I think that way, more students will start to take Chinese courses. Background speakers is far too hard for us ABC's. It's of at least 8th-10th grade Chinese difficulty.

Maybe also new courses for politics? Most countries I know offer politics classes and it's about time that our state (since I know of the VCE offering politics courses) offer these classes.
I think Psychology would be a good course too...
I'd also think of splitting the Geography Course into Physical, Human and World Geography..

Last edited:

CheesePlease

Cheese Dreams!
HSC
I don't know. What's the main reason you're doing maths? Is it for a personal challenge to yourself or is it for recommended or prerequisite uni knowledge? If the latter and 2U is too difficult for you, then maybe you shouldn't be looking towards courses with mathematical aspects because in is piss easy compared to most uni courses you'll face within the field of maths.

The only reason English is structured the way it is is because English is mandatory and they need to cater for all strengths. If 2U maths is too hard then maybe you maths just isn't for you. It's a bit like saying there should be an easier chemistry class for those finding it a bit tough. If it's too hard, it's too hard.

Although I do agree General is a laughing stock and should be drastically changed to even deserve being called a maths class and be applicable in any sort of careeer path.

supercalamari

you've got the love
HSC

harrisony

goodbye cruel world
HSC
N/A
Not all kids in the state are capable of a harder maths course.

Make something like 'Maths Life Skills', then General and normal.
True. I know one catholic school has a school developed board endorsed (cat C) maths course for students that did prelim gen maths and struggled. I think its called applied mathematics

HSC
I recently read something in the SMH about the English version of this. A proposed new English course, less difficult than standard, but not as easy as ESL. But I do agree about the suggestion for maths.

Last edited:

smartalec

HSC
im fine with mathematics, but my friend whom is topping physics and chemistry is in the middle of mathematics and is struggeling to keep her position.
petition ftw. haha.
yr 10 mathematics would probably be in the middle of general and advanced. general is about 100 times easier than the school certificate as people have told me.

HSC
Uni Grad
im fine with mathematics, but my friend whom is topping physics and chemistry is in the middle of mathematics and is struggeling to keep her position.
petition ftw. haha.
yr 10 mathematics would probably be in the middle of general and advanced. general is about 100 times easier than the school certificate as people have told me.
Umm... I don't think so...

harrisony

goodbye cruel world
HSC
N/A
petition ftw. haha.
http://img.whirltools.com/i/okaywtfrea.gif

hscishard

HSC
For maths, I wouldn't be surprised if a new maths course came out. My teacher told me a General maths "2" will be implemented in the near future.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)