What do you do to prepare for upcoming exams? (1 Viewer)

snazzshazz

HSC
When I've got exams coming up I usually write study notes and then memorise them by repeating the notes to myself over and over again.
But I'm doing all three sciences and I don't know if this is going to work, there's a LOT of content to memorise. I've heard that writing notes on each syllabus dot point is a waste of time, does anyone do this? I've started to.

How do you go about memorising and studying for exams?

HSC
Uni Grad
When I've got exams coming up I usually write study notes and then memorise them by repeating the notes to myself over and over again.
But I'm doing all three sciences and I don't know if this is going to work, there's a LOT of content to memorise. I've heard that writing notes on each syllabus dot point is a waste of time, does anyone do this? I've started to.

hmmm for me, memorizing stuff doesn't really work as I believe I'm a kinesthetic person (learn by doing stuff, and thats why i failed biology in yr 10 :p)
Repeating stuff gets extremely boring unless if its applying it...
It's like I'm doing questions and getting them right without even understanding why they're right >_<

Physics - you need to know how to apply the stuff too. There is a quite a bit on content there too... and i failed my physics test coz i got none of the content xD

Chemistry - similar to physics too, except more memory shit

Biology - most content of all the sciences, hence i failed the subject :p

Hmm I doubt anyone really takes the syllabus notes seriously coz the questions in the HSC will differ and it's more like you'll have to have that 'get it' feeling instead...
For me, just study the stuff, think about what and how it's applied and when a question comes up, apply that knowledge onto the question...

musing

HSC
Cramming style (a week before the exams)
- print notes from BOS resource section
- re-read x1000, highlight keywords - make it colorful as well, add more information to the notes from the textbook, record it and listen to it on the train - while you're walking, literally anywhere, talk to your dog about the information, be creative and do anything with the notes - maybe stick up the keywords on your mirror, laptop to get your memory jogging
- repeat this step every night!

HSC
Personally, I wouldn't be doing syllabus dot point based notes in prelim, rather for the HSC. Then again, I only do 2 sciences. (Regret not doing physics dearly).

mioumiou

HSC

Well, I've written up all of my notes but the problem is that it is very hard for me to memorise. I personally do chemistry and biology, and I found that buy learning the concepts and doing a series of questions (you might be able to find them in your textbooks or in a study guide). It all depends on individuals, some people believe writing notes are better, while other prefer other type of studying methods. If you don't want to write notes, I would suggest you to learn the concepts, do questions and past papers and maybe write down a few important points (the stuff that you're weaker at).

Good luck for your exams!! ;)

GTwin

HSC
Writing notes and remembering some of it is better than not bothering to write notes at all. Me and my twin write study notes and then learn them by testing each other (annoying sometimes cause we don't do all of the same subjects- Legal Studies is just way over my head). That seems to work for us, although we do leave the testing a little late (the night before the exams... Oops. How slack.)

muzeikchun852

HSC
Writing notes and remembering some of it is better than not bothering to write notes at all. Me and my twin write study notes and then learn them by testing each other (annoying sometimes cause we don't do all of the same subjects- Legal Studies is just way over my head). That seems to work for us, although we do leave the testing a little late (the night before the exams... Oops. How slack.)
i wish i have a twin.

adomad

HSC!!
HSC
i wish i have a twin.
omg... twins can share the work load... OMG, why didn't my parents think of this? one twin can write notes for physics while the other writes notes for chemistry.... they both save time and pwn ass.:lol:

muzeikchun852

HSC
omg... twins can share the work load... OMG, why didn't my parents think of this? one twin can write notes for physics while the other writes notes for chemistry.... they both save time and pwn ass.:lol:
and one can do physics assignment and the other do chemistry one. great idea! :D:D

snazzshazz

HSC
Personally, I wouldn't be doing syllabus dot point based notes in prelim, rather for the HSC. Then again, I only do 2 sciences. (Regret not doing physics dearly).
Why do you reckon syllabus dot points aren't useful for prelim>

snazzshazz

HSC
Well, I've written up all of my notes but the problem is that it is very hard for me to memorise. I personally do chemistry and biology, and I found that buy learning the concepts and doing a series of questions (you might be able to find them in your textbooks or in a study guide). It all depends on individuals, some people believe writing notes are better, while other prefer other type of studying methods. If you don't want to write notes, I would suggest you to learn the concepts, do questions and past papers and maybe write down a few important points (the stuff that you're weaker at).

Good luck for your exams!! ;)
hmm that sounds like a good idea, thanks heaps! might try that

snazzshazz

HSC
Cramming style (a week before the exams)
- print notes from BOS resource section
- re-read x1000, highlight keywords - make it colorful as well, add more information to the notes from the textbook, record it and listen to it on the train - while you're walking, literally anywhere, talk to your dog about the information, be creative and do anything with the notes - maybe stick up the keywords on your mirror, laptop to get your memory jogging
- repeat this step every night!
lol interesting, does that work? do you get good marks?

thongetsu

Where aren't I?
HSC
A smart twin who is bothered and does the same subjects as me would be nice.

ReNG

HSC
I read over my content and try to understand the concept of it all. For me, once i understand everything, i can easily remember the content without having to rote memorise anything. Having the motivation to learn about your subjects helps too... =)

FCB

Emma Watson <3
HSC
if you have an identical twin, He could walk into your exam and sit your exam for you if you suck at any given subject. Good thing being identical.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)