modern histry help (1 Viewer)

ofgs-claire

HSC
hay everyone
this term in modern we have to do our own reasurch project, but i have no clue on were to start, can u guys plz help me out
p.s being modern history is can't be before 1900

Lolsmith

kill all boomers
HSC
Can't be before 1900? The 'Modern' era of history is, from what I've been told, generally considered to be post-French Revolution. That happened in the 18th century.

Do the Holodomor. Soviet genocide of Ukrainians via starvation.

HSC
Uni Grad
Can't be before 1900? The 'Modern' era of history is, from what I've been told, generally considered to be post-French Revolution. That happened in the 18th century.

Do the Holodomor. Soviet genocide of Ukrainians via starvation.
Isn't it usually anywhere between the 1800's to today?

and btw I think you have to choose from a select list of topics that your teacher gives you or whatever your teacher says...

ofgs-claire

HSC
thanks for the help gus, i meant after 1900
but thanks anyway :D

booshbanditxx

HSC
Uni Grad
I have to do this too...

I'm not quite sure what I'll do it on yet, all I know is that it can't be anything that we study in depth in the HSC course...

brendroid

HSC
I would suggest keeping it away from what you'll do in Year 12, but do something interesting :)

Soviet Russia can produce interesting stuff, as can Germany and Europe in general. Yugoslavia in the inter-war period might be interesting, if you like that stuff.

klaris

HSC
Modern History started in 1788.

Also, do the Holocaust/World War Two.

The Middle East. Arab-Israeli Conflict. Six Day War.

How can you come up with nothing? Gosh.

cem

Premium Member
HSC
N/A
Modern History started in 1788.

Also, do the Holocaust/World War Two.

The Middle East. Arab-Israeli Conflict. Six Day War.

How can you come up with nothing? Gosh.
For Australians Modern History started in 1788 but for other places it is different e.g. the US it is 1776 and for Europe 1789 or 1815 - either side of the French Revolution and the Napoleonic Wars.

The requirements are meant to keep you away from examinable topcis such as the ones named above, even if your school isn't doing that topic.

I advise my students to start with a person and go from there e.g. a US President - other than JFK, or a WWII general, a notable feminist and usually I get some great topics e.g. the Gunfight at the OK Corral, the reasons why the South were able to remain competitive for as long as they were in the US Civil War, Custer's Last Stand, the assassination of Indira Gandhi etc.

klaris

HSC
I don't find American history as fascinating as European history, to be quite honest.

nevery

HSC
Where to start? lol.

Russia is always fascinating, so is India. I wish we would study Inidian history, it's pretty interesting. But you're not allowed to do stuff that you study in the HSC course. If you're going to do an American president, don't do JFK, as he is studied in the prelim course, and most people would do him. I reckon Franklin Rosevelt would be a good choise.

I've always thought modern history starts at about the French revolution - that's how it's universally taught, I believe.

cem

Premium Member
HSC
N/A
Where to start? lol.

Russia is always fascinating, so is India. I wish we would study Inidian history, it's pretty interesting. But you're not allowed to do stuff that you study in the HSC course. If you're going to do an American president, don't do JFK, as he is studied in the prelim course, and most people would do him. I reckon Franklin Rosevelt would be a good choise.

I've always thought modern history starts at about the French revolution - that's how it's universally taught, I believe.

No - that is how it is taught in Europe but not in America or other parts of the world where different dates around the end of the 1700s or early 1800s will be a good starting point e.g. if 1789 was used for Australia then the first year of settlement wouldn't be classed as modern history. In Japan it is more the arrival of Perry in the mid-1850s as that saw a major change in their way of life.

As Australia is a European based country with regard to much of our culture we tend to use European based events although when they differ with our own we use our own hence 1788 here but 1789 in Europe, 1776 in the USA and other dates elsewhere.

Having looked at the proposed senior national curriculum I notice that the American Revolution starting about 1763 is included in the proposed course taking modern back to that date here in Australia.

booshbanditxx

HSC
Uni Grad
I don't know, you may have already chosen a subject...but I finally decided on The 1916 Easter Rebellion in Ireland...
:p

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)