Could use some help regarding studying (1 Viewer)

Curkz

HSC
Hi bos,

I'm doing ok in my subjects (scrapping through basically) and I know that my study skills aren't really up to scratch. When I study I sit at a desk and bang my head on the table and it doesn't really work for me. I'm wondering did anyone have any tips or different techniques I could try?

I'm failing biology because I just can't memorise the content and when it comes to assessments I just can't remember my work.. I've been told by others to write notes repeatedly until I can recall them.. but this never seems to work.

I'm up for all sorts of ideas and suggestions, if I don't get this rectified soon I don't look to high for the nearing HSC.

Thanks

-Lemon-

HSC
N/A
Hi bos,

I'm doing ok in my subjects (scrapping through basically) and I know that my study skills aren't really up to scratch. When I study I sit at a desk and bang my head on the table and it doesn't really work for me. I'm wondering did anyone have any tips or different techniques I could try?

I'm failing biology because I just can't memorise the content and when it comes to assessments I just can't remember my work.. I've been told by others to write notes repeatedly until I can recall them.. but this never seems to work.

I'm up for all sorts of ideas and suggestions, if I don't get this rectified soon I don't look to high for the nearing HSC.

Thanks

perhaps you are a more 'hands on' type learner, have you considered going to TAFE or doing an apprenticeship?

Curkz

HSC
perhaps you are a more 'hands on' type learner, have you considered going to TAFE or doing an apprenticeship?
I have considered that, I was actually in the process of applying for an electrical apprenticeship with AGL in their renewable sector last year.

But I backed out because I was worried if I dropped school and didn't succeed in my apprenticeship I wouldn't have any qualifications.. I mean some stuff I can apply myself to and other things I just can't grip..

e.g I'm making nearly a grand a month if not more selling goods online and importing such items... I'm really contemplating dropping out and getting some business certification.. It's just a lot to try and interpret and decide what to do.. Everyone continuously tells me I have the potential to do exceptional... but that doesn't help me..

-Lemon-

HSC
N/A
I have considered that, I was actually in the process of applying for an electrical apprenticeship with AGL in their renewable sector last year.

But I backed out because I was worried if I dropped school and didn't succeed in my apprenticeship I wouldn't have any qualifications.. I mean some stuff I can apply myself to and other things I just can't grip..

e.g I'm making nearly a grand a month if not more selling goods online and importing such items... I'm really contemplating dropping out and getting some business certification.. It's just a lot to try and interpret and decide what to do.. Everyone continuously tells me I have the potential to do exceptional... but that doesn't help me..
I'd advice against going to do medical science or commerce at university if you're struggling with year 12 Biology.

harrisony

goodbye cruel world
HSC
N/A
I'd advice against going to do medical science or commerce at university if you're struggling with year 12 Biology.
So funny that people commenting in this thread saying what this poor kid can't do, haven't even finished the HSC themselves and have no idea about university or what university entails.
There is a kid in my engineering course that didn't do maths in the HSC and since then, has worked his ass off and is now beating some kids that did 4unit because he has a genuine interest in the course and the content covered.
Engineering requires a lot of work and if thhis kid has a genuine interest in engineering then he will be willing to put in the effort and do what it takes to succeed.

Curkz

HSC
My sig doesn't necessarily mean medical science.. and commerce isn't as hard as you're making it out to be. Marketing or ecommerce courses aren't so exclusive or hard.

Also a lot can change in a year so you have no idea what I am capable of so rather jump to a conclusion perhaps just maybe answer my studying question.

-Lemon-

HSC
N/A
My sig doesn't necessarily mean medical science.. and commerce isn't as hard as you're making it out to be. Marketing or ecommerce courses aren't so exclusive or hard.

Also a lot can change in a year so you have no idea what I am capable of so rather jump to a conclusion perhaps just maybe answer my studying question.
High school subjects like Biology are incredible easy, all you do it sit and memorize..if you struggle with this then you will find university incredibly hard, as it requires you to actually think (as well as memorize).
The most important thing is to realise is that people who struggle to 'memorize' the material do so because they do not understand the material, this is an inescapable fact.
sorry.

jet

Banned
HSC
High school subjects like Biology are incredible easy, all you do it sit and memorize..if you struggle with this then you will find university incredibly hard, as it requires you to actually think (as well as memorize).
The most important thing is to realise is that people who struggle to 'memorize' the material do so because they do not understand the material, this is an inescapable fact.
sorry.
So then instead of putting him down actually help him and then say that a good tip would be to actually work at understanding the information and how to apply it, which then leads you to remember it.

@the op: The thing I've found is exactly what I said above; try to understand something you don't know. If you are confused, ask questions. Practice problems in maths, and write extra essays in English until your teacher (and you) are satisfied that you understand all the material you've been given. A good idea is to go to the syllabus and find out what you're actually meant to be learning, then you can take steps to ensure that you actually learn it.

squeenie

And goodness knows...
HSC
HSC, in all seriousness is just a matter of memorising stuff and re-writing it in an exam.

But there's no point in trying to memorise material if you don't understand it. A good way to check your understanding is to try to explain it to someone. Get yourself a victim - someone in your class, one of your parents, some random if you have to, or if you can't find a human victim, talk to a pet or in front of a mirror. As long as you're saying what you know out loud. Because then you'll be able to easily pick up what you do and don't understand. If you find yourself having trouble explaining a concept, it means you need to go back and revise it.

And as Jet said, do extra work if you think it'll help (it almost always does)

Last edited:

57o1i

Premium Member
HSC
But there's no point in trying to memorise material if you don't understand it. A good way to check your understanding is to try to explain it to someone.
+1

In the last few years my attention span has completely degenerated but the one sure-fire way I've always been able to stay focused on things for any period of time is to talk about them. Even if I'm just talking to myself.

@OP: If you're having trouble settling down and memorising stuff on demand, one idea might be to make use of dead time during your day to get it done. If you get a bus/train to and from school (or even if you drive lol), use the empty moments to run through concepts. Any kind of task or action - going for a walk, cleaning, whatever. That way you can take away a lot of the performance anxiety that happens when you sit down at a desk and try to order yourself to work.

Writing and re-writing notes doesn't work for everyone. The best advice I was ever given was to mix things up. Write one set of notes. If you make them good and put the effort in, it'll at least partially stick in your memory. Then record them and listen to them (the important bits, not the whole thing). Talk about them to other people or yourself. Then try to apply them either practically or in writing (essays etc). When you come across bits you can never quite get the hang of, write them down and stick them on your wall and look at them whenever you pass. Find someone in your class who can do the things you're not so sure about and ask them to show you how they mastered the skill. If they won't help, ask your teacher.

Whatever happens, don't think that if you're not sitting in front of a desk writing stuff down then you're not learning. The best way to gain a deep understanding of things is to use them in everyday life.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)