Dumb to smart? (1 Viewer)

forme

HSC
N/A
Can people scores increase during year 11 - 12
if during 7 - 10 they only did average (as in 60's not 90s lol) and drastically improve to 95+? (ATAR results)
Be realistic.
I know possibly yes but reality? :jedi:

This is with more determination, hard working because your future is on the line?

And should you listen to people/ teachers?
Saying you should drop/ change subjects? Because you did bad in half yearlies or exams?

Do you know anyone, who's fits in this category? :party:

bio_nut

HSC
Doubt it.

You would have to be pretty stupid to receive marks in the 60s in the junior years of high school.

forme

HSC
N/A
exaggeration :p

edit: but for those who do get that score? hope? my av is around ranges from 70s to 90s but geo/history sucked balls but chances or nil?

Last edited:

NEGROizzle

HSC
with ease, I got 2 band 3's in my school cert LOL and im doing relatively well atm in year 12, started improving in year 11 and year 12 gradually getting better and I tihnk im looking at atar over 90 :)

-may-cat-

Tired Member
HSC
imo people don't get such bad marks in the junior years because they're stupid, they just don't give a shit and don't bother doing any work.

mirakon

nigga
HSC
exaggeration :p

edit: but for those who do get that score? hope? my av is around ranges from 70s to 90s but geo/history sucked balls but chances or nil?
If you're not doing geo and hist now, marks in those subjects are altogether irrelevant.

chrisnumber1

HSC
i know a friend who would have got like low 80's if he was lucky for a uai (i know not stupid but still) but went mega hard out in yr 11 and 12 and got 99.90. but i think he was an exception.

chuha

HSC
N/A
i know a friend who would have got like low 80's if he was lucky for a uai (i know not stupid but still) but went mega hard out in yr 11 and 12 and got 99.90. but i think he was an exception.

Yer there were a few cases similar to this last year.........the people
that everyone thought were 'dumb', tried extra hard in the hsc, and surprised the sox off everyone lol!

bio_nut

HSC
imo people don't get such bad marks in the junior years because they're stupid, they just don't give a shit and don't bother doing any work.
But that's the thing. I never did any work in junior school, I didn't even start doing homework until year 12, yet always received marks in the 90s.

They let any moron and his dog pass junior school in Australia.

kcqn93

HSC
I was a complete idiot in my junior years of high school. I was also stupid in prelims, scrapping a pass or just a plain fail.

Top 5 everything now. :jump:

Buuuuut on the other hand, I didn't give a damn about school or my future....

Last edited:

Phylo

ballin
HSC
during yr 7-10, i hated science with a passion, I was lucky to pass if anything. Now Im in year 12, and i took up physics and chem purely for the scaling (german continuers and drama were alternatives) and received 81 for physics half yearlies and 77 for chem, hopefully by the end of the year i can reach high 80's for both so i do think you can turn it around

-may-cat-

Tired Member
HSC
But that's the thing. I never did any work in junior school, I didn't even start doing homework until year 12, yet always received marks in the 90s.

They let any moron and his dog pass junior school in Australia.
Well of course, there are always going to be people who are naturally smarter than others who can do great with minimal effort, every school has these people.

I'm just saying that in my experience a lot of people who did pretty poorly years 7-10 made a drastic improvement in their senior years cuz they started going to all their classes, doing homework, spending more than a day on their assignments etc. It wasn't that they had been stupid, just lazy.

harrisony

goodbye cruel world
HSC
N/A
imo it's a pretty big difference going from not being able to talk to being really smart but hey good luck with it

alcalder

Just ask for help
HSC
N/A
I wouldn't say it was a matter of once being dumb to becoming smart. It could just be a matter of maturity.

Low marks in the Junior years could be the "don't care because I'm a teenager" factor. Hard work and application to study can certainly make a big difference in Senior years or later in life at University. Hence, someone who was in my 4U Maths class at school and barely scraped 50% is now teaching it because she matured into the subject because she had a love for it and applied herself more.

That being said, there could be a problem if the low marks indicate that you are missing the basics needed to build upon for the senior work.

So, if you are wanting higher marks in the Senior years I would make sure that you can do all the Junior work and there are no deficits there - particularly in maths and science.

Also, another change in marks can result when a learning difficulty is addressed. Make sure your underachievement was not due to undiagnosed learning difficulties.

Or if a teacher teaches more to your learning style. Find your learning style (visual, audio or kinesthetic) to help with this.

Hope this helps. And remember, because we can mature into subjects, maybe your turn at Uni will come later in life if you don't get what you need just now. It does happen.

MetroMattums

HSC
You don't need to be smart to do well in your HSC, just work your ass off

Yell0w

HSC
I am going from alright(wouldnt call myself smart compared to the selective kids) to dumb seriously. Im my junior years, people didn't give it shit about school much and now, yrs 11 - 12, they are picking up their game and i am doing so bad nows.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)