Making own study notes VS using BOS's (1 Viewer)

HSC
Hey everyone, just wondering is it better/ more effective to

1. Make your own study Notes
2. Get them off the internet (BOS)
3. Buy a book e.g. Excel.

Thanks all, all responses appreciated:)

AAEldar

Premium Member
HSC
I think writing your own is better, as you are thinking of it while making it, and thus taking it in better. It's always good to look at other resources though.

beardedwoman

HSC
Most effective thing in order:

3. Downloading past trial papers from various schools, CSSA things (for yr 12) and past HSC papers from BOS. Buying good work books such Creelman, Success One, and other past paper books / practice questions by topic. You should select questions you struggle with upon reading it, and skip the easier ones that you can do in your head (certain 1-2, sometimes even 3-4 markers, and certain multiple choice Qs). Personally, I don't like Excel books and study guides are not very effective.

1. Make your own study notes (using various text books and stuff from school), using other people's notes if you're stuck and cannot find a way to incorporate the information into your dot points.

2. Downloading sources off the internet and memorising them through reading (as most people who proceed to use this method do) by far the least effective thing to do as it doesn't show your understanding, or may differ to yours. Good for cramming or pure content based subjects (Ancient History) I guess..

kounato

HSC
best notes are your own notes, good idea to supplement these with some bos/excel resources though to ensure all bases are covered

muzeikchun852

HSC
the best choice is to make ur own notes. but if u are one of person whos cant be bother to make the note and print it off (like myself), buy a excel/macquarie study guide and make note in any area that u feels the lacks of information.

octopie

HSC
A lot of study guides are just summaries anyway, and if you make notes yourself you will definitely make sure your understanding is solid. In my opinion the best resources to download are past papers, because it's not enough to just know the content. You have to know how to answer the questions as well; in the end that's how you'll get the marks. No use chucking in everything you know if it doesn't answer the question. But yeah your own notes should be the best for you.

HSC
Uni Grad
I used the ones on here for physics cos I had no idea about anything and cbf making notes on shit I dont understand.

For sdd and ipt I made my own.

I don't really reckon making own notes is considerably more advantageous than using ones made by others, however I would probably say it is still preferably to ensure (slightly) greater understanding etc.

youandmexo

HSC
best notes are your own notes, good idea to supplement these with some bos/excel resources though to ensure all bases are covered
this.
also past papers ftw. you will be amazed at how much they help!

harhar

HSC
let me just say that BOS notes SUCK

poorly formatted, too brief at times, dotpoint spam (whats the point of dot points if every point is essentially a paragraph??!?!?)

Official

Bring it on
HSC
let me just say that BOS notes SUCK

poorly formatted, too brief at times, dotpoint spam (whats the point of dot points if every point is essentially a paragraph??!?!?)
Lol?

Some are good, some are bad. You should look at some dude called Ahmad's HSC chem + bio notes. You'll be blown away.

Aquawhite

Retiring
HSC
Uni Grad
My notes are a combination of what I've learnt, further textbook/summary book readings and notes from others on the Internet.

lpodnano

5eva alone
HSC
I would make my own notes. Preferably by computer IMO because it's quicker and gives you more time to revise, but hey if you learn whilst handwriting your notes that would be good too. I write without thinking so it's a waste of time for me.

If I'm doing a last minute cram then BOS notes are the way to go.

seremify007

HSC
Uni Grad
Downloading other peoples' notes poses several issues;
1. They may not have covered everything as the notes might've only focussed on areas which the individual believed were relevant to themselves or likely to be assessed
2. The subject matter/syllabus used as the basis for those notes may have changed since your year
3. The quality of material may not be a sufficient substitute for your own reading of the book/material

Simply put, using other peoples' notes helps prompt you to remember things but unless you've done the work yourself first, it's just going to give you a false sense of security. Exception to this would be if you had an open book exam but that is highly unlikely for HSC :)

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)