Gothic - Essay Question (1 Viewer)

cyndilau

HSC
Gothic narrative are most effective when they leave the monstrous in the shadowy, imaginative realm. Do you agree?

(The turn of the screw)

I don't understand the "monstrous in the shadowy, imaginative realm".

pbrady

HSC
haha. I have exactly the same question. Do you go to Fort Street by any chance?

anyway, my teacher said that you can define 'montrous' and 'shadowy, imaginative relm' any way that you want in your essay. So you can say that in gothic, the montrous is fear, violence, monsters, the unnatural, the unknown etc. And the relm can be anything you want as well. So, when the characters don't know what's happening, or when it's all in their heads, or when the audience isn't sure what's going on.

annaaa123

HSC
hello fortians!
i think the hard bit about that question is the "most effective" - first you have to set criteria for the gothic to achieve, i.e. scaring its readers, or whatever, then prove that leaving the monstrous in the shadowy, imaginative realm is the most effective way to achieve that. and also define "monstrous" and the "shadowy realm" in context. it's a hard question! but i quite like it.

PH011

HSC
Fort Street yay :D
and interpret it in your own way, what you feel it is saying =]

silence--

HSC
lolol

there are like 15+ people from our grade on this forum, wtf. ahaha wow

erm...anyway...yeah this depends on your interpretation of "most effective" and "shadowy, imaginative realm". e.g you could argue this as meaning that gothic texts create the most "fear" in the reader when the "monstrous" i.e. the evil or whatever, isn't immediately clear.

but as long as you argue it well, it doesn't matter how you go. hell i'll probably end up bsing most of it anyway =P

Last edited:
HSC
What kind of a teacher gave you that question?

" monstrous in the shadowy, imaginative realm"

what a pretentious, pathetic wankbot.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)