Japanese Letter Writing. (1 Viewer)

Memi

HSC
N/A
Hello :)
Okay, so I do Japanese Continuers as one of my subjects. Tomorrow we have our half yearlies and one of the tasks is to write a letter in polite form, emulating an actual letter to a potential host family. (Don't ask why we get told our long response questions...Our teacher is fond of spoon-feeding)

So my question is what do I include in it?
I know we need basics such as name and age, but do you also include hobbies? :l And it has to be fairly long (2 genkouyoushi) but I guess it really isn't that long? But I don't want to be so basic and simple yet I cannot fathom what else to write...

Sorry if I sound confusing or whatever..It's just that we haven't done proper letters or essays in class.
Thanks~

carmot

HSC
try and make sure that all, or just about all of your sentences contain something you learnt in the senior course e.g. if you use Wakatta, stuff like ~te imasu, or ~yori, ~te form to join sentences etc.

also remember about the typical letter structure. so don't just dive straight into your subject matter. have a short introduction where you ask how they are, your purpose for writing etc. before writing about yourself. and try to keep the quality of your writing consistent throughout, rather than throwing together whatever comes into your head at the end because you're running out of time. my teacher has told me of markers in the past simply reading the intro and conclusion of a writing task, and placing them in mark brackets based on their quality by the end of the task.

within the body of your letter, introduce yourself, so the essential name and age, school and school year, perhaps the subjects you study. given that it's a potential host family, whom you could be living with for a period of time, telling them about your hobbies and interests would be relevant. you might also add a bit about your personality. if it's emulating a letter so then they'll accept you for a homestay visit, you could also talk about your interest in Japan, and why you want to experience a homestay etc.

hope that helps =)

Memi

HSC
N/A
Hello. Thank you for your response ^__^!
It helped a lot. I now have some direction for my letter.

muzeikchun852

HSC
try and make sure that all, or just about all of your sentences contain something you learnt in the senior course e.g. if you use Wakatta, stuff like ~te imasu, or ~yori, ~te form to join sentences etc.

also remember about the typical letter structure. so don't just dive straight into your subject matter. have a short introduction where you ask how they are, your purpose for writing etc. before writing about yourself. and try to keep the quality of your writing consistent throughout, rather than throwing together whatever comes into your head at the end because you're running out of time. my teacher has told me of markers in the past simply reading the intro and conclusion of a writing task, and placing them in mark brackets based on their quality by the end of the task.

within the body of your letter, introduce yourself, so the essential name and age, school and school year, perhaps the subjects you study. given that it's a potential host family, whom you could be living with for a period of time, telling them about your hobbies and interests would be relevant. you might also add a bit about your personality. if it's emulating a letter so then they'll accept you for a homestay visit, you could also talk about your interest in Japan, and why you want to experience a homestay etc.

hope that helps =)
great advice.. rep u. :D:D

EDIT: i want to rep u, but the system doesnt let me to do so.

Last edited:

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)