Ext 2 Eng and Ext 1 Maths (1 Viewer)

Mikkx

HSC
Hello :)

i am currently in year 11 and was wondering , is it advisable to do both extension 2 english and extension 1 maths if my english marks are not the best (ranging from 70s to 90s) but i still take an interest in it, especially next years's year 12 module?

I have heard from other studets at my school that it is hard to handle and requires careful organisation and good marks , but i would like some advice from other people as well

i plan on doing the following subjects for next year :
ext2 eng
ext1 maths
jap continuers
ext1 ancient history

thank you for taking the time to reply

slyhunter

Retired
HSC
When you choose to do Extension 2 English, you might be interviewed on reasons for wanting to do the course and prove you have a real passion for English. It's a lot of work on top of what you have already, but with some good time management and effort, you'll find year 12 very rewarding for you.

namesAsh

HSC
Whewww... 3 extension subjects that's going to be a massive workload but hey if you think you can handle it I say go for it! If it is too much for you it's not like you can't drop Ext 2 English or another subject. Then again what do I know, I'm in year 11 too.

Mikkx

HSC
Ext jap would be a bit too much for me , im not even sure if i want to continue it but i dont want all the years ive spent on it go to waste
from my (somewhat limited) experience , languages are easily forgotten as compared to skills or knowledge you learn from subjects such as english or maths

does anyone have a clue on what is taught in japanese ext ?

57o1i

Premium Member
HSC
Hello :)

i am currently in year 11 and was wondering , is it advisable to do both extension 2 english and extension 1 maths if my english marks are not the best (ranging from 70s to 90s) but i still take an interest in it, especially next years's year 12 module?

I have heard from other studets at my school that it is hard to handle and requires careful organisation and good marks , but i would like some advice from other people as well

i plan on doing the following subjects for next year :
ext2 eng
ext1 maths
jap continuers
ext1 ancient history

thank you for taking the time to reply
I started out doing 4U English, 4U Maths and Extension History but I found Extension History to be too much work and dropped it. But if you're doing 3U Maths, not 4U, I reckon it'd be doable. Lot of work to keep track of though, so you'll need confidence in your organisational skills.

Anyway, go for it! You can always drop subjects later if you find it's too much work.

Mikkx

HSC
I started out doing 4U English, 4U Maths and Extension History but I found Extension History to be too much work and dropped it. But if you're doing 3U Maths, not 4U, I reckon it'd be doable. Lot of work to keep track of though, so you'll need confidence in your organisational skills.

Anyway, go for it! You can always drop subjects later if you find it's too much work.
Doesnt that mean you only had 8 uits when it came to the hsc ?
I also saw you're currently doing arts/law at usyd and at this point in time i'm really interested in those particular degrees
do you mind me asking , im not sure if you did legal in high school but would that be a good subject to have done if i wanted to pursue arts/ law ?

slyhunter

Retired
HSC
There is no prerequisite for doing a law degree at university.

Mikkx

HSC
Would it be easier if you had taken legal beforehand though ?

slyhunter

Retired
HSC
It would help, but during your first year at law, they assume you know nothing and start from scratch. So yes I suppose, you could find yourself advantaged over some others.

Mikkx

HSC
Intense awesome , thanks

i have been regretting not taking up legal for so long

57o1i

Premium Member
HSC
Doesnt that mean you only had 8 uits when it came to the hsc ?
I also saw you're currently doing arts/law at usyd and at this point in time i'm really interested in those particular degrees
do you mind me asking , im not sure if you did legal in high school but would that be a good subject to have done if i wanted to pursue arts/ law ?
No, I was also doing Japanese Continuers and I did Society and Culture the year before = 14 units.

I didn't do legal in high school ... you really don't need it for law. If you're interested in it then by all means go for it but it's not necessary in the slightest.

muzeikchun852

HSC
Ext jap would be a bit too much for me , im not even sure if i want to continue it but i dont want all the years ive spent on it go to waste
from my (somewhat limited) experience , languages are easily forgotten as compared to skills or knowledge you learn from subjects such as english or maths

does anyone have a clue on what is taught in japanese ext ?
i think its about contemportary issue. if u are going to do it next year, its going to be the impact of change on society, relationships and the search for personal identity, as well as the core text of spirit away (best japanese movie at all time !)

quote from pandaaMONIA:
pandaaMONIA said:
Continuers becomes a bit harder, with most of the grammar becoming redundant and pointless, and the vocab + kanji becoming a lot with all your other subjects.
Jap Extension is just, in my experience, horrible. The workload of it is quite huge, and the skill level is high.

although be aware speaking is a big part of it, with 10 out of 50 marks going into it.
There's no listening in the HSC, and the speaking is a 3 minute monologue on one question.
It's hard, hard work.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)