Difficulties in English Advanced. (1 Viewer)

Difficulties in English Advanced.

• easy subject; hard to get into the higher range of marks

Votes: 0 0.0%
  • average subject; easy to get into the higher range of marks

• hard subject; easy to get into the higher range of marks

• hard subject; hard to get into the higher range of marks

• Total voters

b00m

HSC
Uni Grad
don't find it hard. A lot of work/research/time yes.

A lot more work than i originally anticipated in the junior years..

Fake-Name

HSC
I've ticked Easy subject, easy to get high marks in..

Since year 9 I have been in the top English class and have been coming first in my class. My half yearly results came as:

First in advance,
i was 4 marks off 100%.

First in Standard (we had to take the standard test too for some reason),
I was 2 marks off 100%

Tied first in extension 1 English,
Not sure what my results are, I didn't get to calculate them.

However I believe I have a majority of Crystallized intelligence.

For anyone who doesn't know:

Fluid and crystallized intelligence - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

"Fluid intelligence generally correlates with measures of abstract reasoning and puzzle solving.
Crystallized intelligence correlates with abilities that depend on knowledge and experience, such as vocabulary, general information, and analogies."

Which I justify for my average ability in Mathematics and Science subjects.

I've noticed that most people who do advanced mathematics or do well in Science subjects, complain at how hard English or history subjects are.

Possible they have fluid intelligence, or the capacity to think logically and solve problems in novel situations.

... Probably has no relevance to this, but it's something I've been thinking about. ;)

Official

Bring it on
HSC

Since year 9 I have been in the top English class and have been coming first in my class. My half yearly results came as:

First in advance,
i was 4 marks off 100%.

I was 2 marks off 100%

"Fluid intelligence generally correlates with measures of abstract reasoning and puzzle solving.
Crystallized intelligence correlates with abilities that depend on knowledge and experience, such as vocabulary, general information, and analogies."

I've noticed that most people who do advanced mathematics or do well in Science subjects, complain at how hard English or history subjects are.

Possible they have fluid intelligence, or the capacity to think logically and solve problems in novel situations.

... Probably has no relevance to this, but it's something I've been thinking about. ;)
Fluid and Crystallized intelligence is quite interesting.
Ty for the link

silence--

HSC
^i agree. you have to put in the effort but after that i find it's not too hard to get a decent mark.

btw, how can it be a hard subject and easy to get good marks? or an easy subject + hard to get good marks? o_0

Omnipotence

Kendrick Lamar
HSC
Uni Grad
Lol, I think I was the first to press it. Good to know that three other people pressed it aswell.

Omnipotence

Kendrick Lamar
HSC
Uni Grad

First in advance,
i was 4 marks off 100%.

I was 2 marks off 100%

Such a compelling read. Thanks for link.

HSC
Uni Grad

interesting topic there...

hmm i seem to be more of a cross-over of both...

like somewhat im good at maths, averagish in sciences, good at history and social sciences, great at music but somewhat shit in english

I also score generally high in logic and reasoning competitions...

it seems like it's all like... mixed up; traits not being focused to one type of intelligence but multiple types...

has anyone heard of the left brain and right brain methods of thinking and doing stuff? coz i think that could be relevant too...

JTwin

HSC
i think the work in class is easy- most of it is common knowledge.
but when it comes to exams, they mark you hard for stupid things- its my worst subject for marks. teachers are never happy with what you write.
personally, i don't understand why english is compulsory. i mean, who is going to have to analyse texts if they're a builder or something?

Holly M

HSC
I said it was average but hard to get high marks.

I find it very hard. I am not an English person. I can express myself and use the English language fine... but that doesn't seem to be the aim of the course... to me it's just a massive wank.

I got my half-yearly exam marks back: 62% and a 10/40 ranking. Now that's not terrible... but I'm a good student, and there was a lot of stress involved in getting just those marks.

Our teacher is a dick... and is so abstract, he has a completely different way of thinking fro me. I just don't get it.

Yet for some reason I do Extension 1 English... don't ask me why. English used to be OK, now it's pretty damn annoying and fairly difficult. :(

thongetsu

Where aren't I?
HSC
Pretty easy. My teacher makes it heaps easy by practically spoonfeeding us.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)