Question About Current Subjects (1 Viewer)

SuperSaiyan

HSC
At the very moment i'm doing

#Legal Studies- 69%(6/22)
#General Maths- 74%(11/44)
#Standard English-52%(42/62)( this was a discussion and i know it was very poor but i plan to improve it when i get actual tests)
#Economics-80%(3/18)
#Business Studies-75%(7/21)
#Hospitality ( chose because i thought it was bludge but apparently not really as i expected )- 66%(Comptent)
(Marks are from half yearly reports)

after looking at many other posters on this site i'm very worried i have chosen Standard English and General Maths as it's very low scaled and aren't very beneficial for Uni courses. In Uni i plan to take a Commerce/Law/Economics bachelor courses and i believe i may need to take on bridging courses for these subjects? as i would need advanced english & 2 unit maths is this true?

My year 12 subjects will mainly be the same subjects and still thinking either i should drop hospitality as it's useless for my ATAR as its scaled badly and would require me to do its homework/assignments but i also like a backup for my ATAR who knows i might get high 90s. My Atar aim would be around 90+ but i guess 80 will make me happy. I plan on to attend UNSW as i have my many friends who go there and is a great uni. Another concern would be my school ranking which is around the mid 400's but i guess it doesn't matter if i do good in my subjects

So it sum it all up am i qualified to do Commerce, Law Courses in Uni with the current subjects i have or will i have to do a bridging course? AND will i be able to get a atar of 90+ considering my school is poorly ranked and my subjects are not that academically challenging?

LoveHateSchool

Retired Sept '14
HSC
Uni Grad
You're aiming for an ATAR of 90+...I don't see how that's going to happen with your current ranks, you'll have to improve them. Scaling of subjects doesn't matter if you super well with them, but they'll hurt you at the moment with your lowish rankings (particularly standard english cause they always count English in ATAR). Aim to improve in all your subjects, drop Hospitality if it'll allow you to study more for the others and improve.

Not sure about if you'll need to bridge any courses.

Good luck!

SuperSaiyan

HSC
yup i'm planing to increase my subjects as i didn't study for these tests and now i will and might add tutor to my weekly activities. would u reccomend i drop hospitality? im scared im gonna do bad in my A Category subjects and hospitality can take over ?

Lolsmith

kill all boomers
HSC
School ranking doesn't mean anything if you're getting good marks in comparison to the state. Kids in >500 ranked schools get 98+ ATAR's.

You need to be aware that the Commerce degree at UNSW's cutoff this year was 91~. Comm/Economics was 96 and Law was 99.55. The assumed knowledge for these is 2unit Maths. This means the Mathematics course, not ANY 2 units. It'll basically only involve differentiation in relation to statistics and isn't too difficult of a concept to learn. Law has no assumed knowledge.

Improve your marks is all you need to do. Advanced English will not help you in any way for your degrees except for the fact that you might get scaled better.

SuperSaiyan

HSC
oh but im doing general maths not 2unit maths ? oh wow those marks are pretty damn high ...i doubt i would get anything over 95 to be honest.

slyhunter

Retired
HSC
General mathematics does not constitute as the required 2 unit mathematics at university level.

SuperSaiyan

HSC
yes i know so this means if i do go to uni i need to do bridging courses to qualify for my desired courses? and it says assumed is that a recommendation that you should know it or is it a "you must've done 2unit in high school"? because theres assumed and required knowledge and im kindaa lost :L

rosannisayshi

HSC
My plan for Year12 2011 is:

Get 100% in everything!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!.............................

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)