Prefect Speeches/Elections! (1 Viewer)

fairyfloss23

HSC
Tomorrow our year is voting on the prefects of the the school for 2012. I am running for prefect as i want to be a part of the leadership team as i think it would be a good experience as i have never been a part of it before. I am unsure of what to say in my speech and was wondering if anyone had any advice? We only get one minute to talk so it's not going to be a very long speech.

AAEldar

Premium Member
HSC
Make people laugh, don't bore them.

99% of the students that vote aren't interested in what you can do for the school, they just want entertainment and if you supply that you'll get their vote.

BobMac

HSC
I'm a prefect and in my school we didn't have to give a speech. Anyway.
I guess what you should include is that you want to give back to the school community and want to help the students something along the lines of that.
Tell us later if you get it

iRuler

Premium Member
HSC
Uni Grad
Just talk about stuff how you'll be beneficial, how you can improve it etc.. that's what everyone talks about. tbh there's nothing else to say.

jnney

lemon
HSC
Agreed with the first comment.

A school leader doesn't do jack. Ironically enough im also one.

But anyways, humour or conviction. Take your pick. But by now everbody is just way too stressed and just wants a laugh.

fairyfloss23

HSC
Make people laugh, don't bore them.

99% of the students that vote aren't interested in what you can do for the school, they just want entertainment and if you supply that you'll get their vote.
If I was funny I would defs try and make my speech funny but I kind of lack that ability :p

I'm a prefect and in my school we didn't have to give a speech. Anyway.
I guess what you should include is that you want to give back to the school community and want to help the students something along the lines of that.
Tell us later if you get it
What did you do instead of a speech?? Thanks for the tips, will tell you if I get it :)

Just talk about stuff how you'll be beneficial, how you can improve it etc.. that's what everyone talks about. tbh there's nothing else to say.
Yeah there's 33 of us going for 25 positions meaning 33 minutes of the same thing over and over again and my year is probs not going to listen anyway and just talk half the time and then they'll jus vote based on who they are. I feel as if these elections are popularity contests most of the time anyway!

dux&src

just a star-crossed lover
HSC
Which is stupid because half of the time the people who aren't 'popular' don't get in when they would be the best option!
Do teachers get a say?

Last edited:

Aquawhite

Retiring
HSC
Uni Grad
You have to do a speech?
You don't? It seems rather redundant electing a leader based on the fact you know (or don't know) them by face. It is the only succinct and clear way for people to present their reasons why they would be a suitable leader for the school community.

Aquawhite

Retiring
HSC
Uni Grad
See my school, people know each other...
Your school is either:
1. Very small (<50 kids)
2. All live under a rock
3. Unbelievably social with each other, which I find this hard to believe, considering I don't know many seniors that would volunteer to hang with the irritability of Year 7s

BobMac

HSC
What did you do instead of a speech?? Thanks for the tips, will tell you if I get it :)

We submitted an application if we were successful we went through an interview with our prefect advisor and one of our deputy. If we were successful after that then there was a vote where year 10's, our grade (year 11's), year 12's and teachers voted.
Year 10 vote = 1 point
Year 11 vote = 5 points
Year 12 vote = 2 points
Teacher's vote = 10 points

Hope that helps and good luck

AAEldar

Premium Member
HSC
Years 7-11 voted at my school, as well as teachers and the previous captains.

It's never about who will do the best job, it's whose more popular or in one case a couple of years ago, who swore the most.

Absolutezero

real human bean
HSC
N/A
Years 7-11 voted at my school, as well as teachers and the previous captains.

It's never about who will do the best job, it's whose more popular or in one case a couple of years ago, who swore the most.
A vote for every 'cunt' in your speech.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)