From 2 Unit Maths to General? (1 Viewer)

Angus0

HSC
Has anyone got any suggestions for my situation?
I started this year (Yr 11, 2012) in Extension Maths (+2U of course) but dropped it after two weeks cause I knew I wouldn't be able to keep up with it for long. Now I recieved 48% for A Maths (2U) half yearly and am thinking about dropping to General. Which surprised me ( I got about 10th/25 in the class) because I came 1st in the class for the first In-class assesment, and top in the grade in Yr10.
I didn't study as much as I should've I realise, but its really hard work and I don't know if I'll be able to keep up. I would like to get a high 80's ATAR for a Film Uni course, but I don't know whether to drop to General. The ATAR calculators online seems to say you need 5-10% more marks in the exam in General then someone in 2U to get the same end mark. I know not to worry about ATAR, but I don't want to burnout trying in 2U, when I could just go to General

Thoughts and suggestions would be much appreaciated. :)

lvella10

HSC
If you drop to general you still have to be prepared to put in the effort .. because you won't be the only kid capable of doing extension sitting in the general course hoping to boost their ATAR with a no. 1 rank and results well into the >90%'s

planino

HSC
the general course is quite different to the adv/X1/X2 set of courses. It's essentially on its own so no matter how easy it is, you're gunna have to relearn everything.

Shadowdude

Cult of Personality
HSC
Not really "everything", more like... bits that aren't learned - like z-scores and some of the stats stuff. Most of it is very easy, more like Year 10 revision.

madharris

HSC
N/A
A lot of my friends dropped from 2u to general
From their experiences, if you drop, you will need to work a lot otherwise you will get a crap mark and an even crappier mark because of the scaling

As long as you work you'll do fine, as most of it is revision from year 8-tiny bit of 2u Math (I looked at the text book)

Good luck

Edit: scaling Doesn't matter if do well

HSC
Everyone says general is easy, but it still requires the effort and dedication like 2u maths to get good marks. I'd say keep 2u and see how you go in the next test. Put in more of the effort and dedication like if the teacher says do a certain part of the excercise for homework, excel and always do a little bit more then the others.

Angus0

HSC
Thanks for the advice. I tried 2u for a few more weeks but really felt I was wasting my time. Dropped to general and going well. I think it was definatly better to drop now rather then later, I really didn't miss much in terms of new concepts.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)