Adv English
Ext English
Music 1
Studies of Religion 1 (compulsory)
Legal Studies
Ancient History
Modern History
General Maths

I need to drop 2 subjects. I was thinking that in year 11 (now) I'll drop music, so I get some free's. But now I'm thinking I don't want to do maths.

I'm doing General (obviously) and most subjects such as physiotherapy require Mathematics, not general maths to get in. I'm more arts/humanitarian oriented and I don't want to do a science course or maths course in uni. But I was thinking of doing like a PDHPE type one such as physiotherapy or this other one.

Which is why I don't want to drop maths but then again I really don't want to do it!

HELP!? (I hope you understand what I'm saying!)

starshine02

HSC
It depends how much you like general maths or how good you are at it compared with the rest of your subjects.

iSplicer

HSC
Uni Grad
Are you getting close to 100 raw in the tests? If not, drop it. You have too many units.

Leffife

A lover is a best friend
HSC
N/A
Yes, I understand what you mean.

Well, but still if you are getting around 96%+ in your general maths tests then you should really keep it and drop like ancient & modern history.

If not, then drop it.

enoilgam

HSC
Unless you are doing extremely well in it, then drop it. You can always do a bridging course at uni if you need to.

HSC
I'm getting about 70 - 90% in maths, it depends on the subject.
I'm going pretty well in both histories and maths and music seem to be my weakest subjects. Plus I prefer my other subjects to maths.

I'm just afraid that if I drop it, then I'll be doing too many humanities subjects and could stop me from doing a course if I change my mind next year or something. Plus it's maths! It would be weird to not do it any more.

StephanieMit

HSC
I actually always do bad in general Maths. I try so hard and I still can't get any good results. I'm more of a humanities person, and Im also trying to decide whether to drop it or not. The teachers keep telling our class that Maths is an important thing in life, but I feel like it would weigh down my atar a lot.

Last edited:

jessdub

HSC
I'm also considering dropping general, but at the end of year 11. I didn't do well at all in the first test (70s) for what I know I can do... I was in the advanced 5.3 maths course in year 10 and chose general as I'm also more of a humanities person and writing/english is my strongest area, but I found I made super silly mistakes and people who were in the lower course than me in year 10 were getting 90+, despite how easy I find the course. I'm not sure whether I just had a bad day but I completely lost confidence and as I'm not the biggest fan of maths anyway I feel like it's completely irrelevent to everything else I'm doing- adv english, ext english, music 2, VA, modern, pdhpe... so I know exactly what you mean... many people have said that doing general is not a good idea unless you are acing it, I honestly dont see the point of it for me personally. Any more advice on the subject would be appreciated!!

SuchSmallHands

HSC
I dropped maths entirely and haven't regretted it for a single second thus far (though I know I certainly don't want to do any course requiring maths). If it comes down to it, your life isn't over if you want to do a degree which has mathematics as a prerequisite, just do a bridging course and you'll be fine. You have too many units, give yourself a break :)

loversinjapan

Swag Queen
HSC
If you're aiming for 99.7 and aren't toping GM/aren't getting crazy raw marks then I suggest you drop it. It will be detrimental to your ATAR.

Edit: Awks. OP posted last year.

Last edited:

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)