Should I Do History Extension? (1 Viewer)

HSC
Hey, so I'm in year 11 at the moment and I don't think it's long until we have to chose our subjects for year 12. I'm pretty happy with most of the subjects I'm doing now and don't think I'm going to change them too much. At the moment I'm doing:

• Advanced English (it's alright I guess, sick of analysing texts by now but anyway)
  • General Mathematics (I dropped down from 2 Unit a couple of weeks ago so I can't really say much about it)
  • Drama (best subject ever! I can't believe I nearly didn't pick it because it is epic! I'm thinking of doing a design project for my IP)
  • PDHPE (pretty good but I'm aiming pretty high for this so I think I need to put in a bit more work)
  • Modern History (probably my second fav subject and my teacher is amazing! Not the biggest fan of Indochina though)
  • Studies of Religion: 1 Unit (yeah it's alright I guess and I have to do religion anyway)
  • Extension English (ugh! I'm sick of it and am pretty sure I'm going to drop it for year 12. Finding these theories extremely boring and pointless)

So yeah that's what I think of my subs. I'm probably going to drop extension English because I hate it but otherwise I think I'm going to keep them the same.

So what I'm really thinking is maybe doing History Extension. I'm not really sure about it but I really like modern and I'm pretty sure I'm either getting my teacher or the other modern teacher or both so the teacher shouldn't be a problem. I'm not dropping extension english because of the morning and afternoons or because of the workload it's just because I'm finding it boring as hell so it's not that I'm struggling to cope with an extension subject's workload. At the moment I'm not positive but I think I might be coming 7th out of about 45 people and seeing as I didn't put in as much effort as I probably could have at the time I think I can probably get better than that. So what does everyone think about doing history extension? Basically I really like history but I'm not really thinking of doing something to do with history after school (PE teaching, Police and journalism are my main ideas right now). I don't mind going to morning and afternoon classes seeing as I'm doing that already and except for drama I'm not really doing any subjects with major projects or extreme/hard amounts of work (like extension maths or physics or anything like that).

Thanks,
Erin

(PS: Sorry, I know this doesn't make too much sense, I'm kind of in a hurry because I have to do my PE assignment)

enoilgam

HSC
If your not enjoying EE1 and you like history a lot you should definitely pick up extension history. Its interesting to see how things are working out for you. I remember your subject selection thread from last year - you were debating doing drama and EE1 iirc.

alyssa21

HSC
N/A
I do History Extension at the moment, and I find it's a fascinating course that will introduce you to a lot of ideas and concepts in much more detail (Marxism, feminism, postmodernism, post-structuralism, and the bizarrely named post-post-modernism). But keep in mind that it is extremely different to Modern History- the course demands you not to only analyse the historiography surrounding an issue, but the reasons why the historiography is the way it is. Like, I've found that I'm more suited to the nature of the Modern course than Extension, but I still find ExtHistory so worthwhile to do. And I really think not to worry about which "seems the most relevant to your career options"- whilst it is important to a certain degree, it's much better to choose subjects you'll enjoy and want to work at!
And check out the ExtHistory syllabus on the Board of Studies website for more info about the course!

jeffery33

HSC
In your situation, I would recommend history extension...

scarvesss

howdy doo
HSC
hist ext is awesome. probably one of my favourite subject to learn (2nd to physics) and i want to be an engineer so dont worry about the career prospects. youll probably get a small class as well so that makes it more fun

inJust

HSC
I love history extension. I'm only doing modern to do it tbh. Hahaha.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)