SMH young writer comp-who entered? (1 Viewer)

hayabusaboston

HSC
Hey guys! Who entered the SMH writing comp this year? what did you guys write about? :p I wrote a mafia-war type thing between Russia and China haha.

LoveHateSchool

Retired Sept '14
HSC
Uni Grad
I didn't enter this year too busy with major work but in Yr 11 I wrote a story about dementia. The chain trigger was perfect, I wasn't as inspired by the flight trigger this year hah

Got a Highly Commended, and the ironic thing is I beat the person internally (as we did it for an assessment task) that won our district. She's a superb writer, wish I had her flowing description!

starshine02

HSC
My story pretty much followed a butterfly flying around the city buildings/parks/mall and the people that it interacted with. also has that "butterfly effect" idea so its like how one person's action affected the next person the butterfly interacted with. i wanted to enter last year but i missed the deadline...

soloooooo

HSC
N/A
How 'young' do you have to be? (i..e what is max. age?)

starshine02

HSC
I think it's only for high school students but it says up to 21. my bad.

Last edited:

hayabusaboston

HSC
My story pretty much followed a butterfly flying around the city buildings/parks/mall and the people that it interacted with. also has that "butterfly effect" idea so its like how one person's action affected the next person the butterfly interacted with. i wanted to enter last year but i missed the deadline...
That sounds amazing! omg can I plz read yours? You can read mine if u want. Wow your concept is brilliant....

starshine02

HSC
Lol really? thanks! although i think it's only the idea that's nice cos my writing...was just average. it's on my other computer so it'll have to be the next time i use it :3

hayabusaboston

HSC
Lol really? thanks! although i think it's only the idea that's nice cos my writing...was just average. it's on my other computer so it'll have to be the next time i use it :3
yea haha I would have never thought of that kinda thing. I am always amazed by these brilliant concepts people come up with, scenarios that are just ingenious and marvelously creative :D

HSC
My story was a piece about what it's like to be a writer. The narrator is writing a story and is nearly finished and does in fact finish. I wrote it so by the end the reader figures out the story the narrator is writing is the actuall short story they're reading (sort of like an 'Ahhh' moment) The characters also kill the author (Death of the author concept), who is a fly on the wall and flies around the place writing the story (my link to flight).

Basically I tried to break down the fourth wall and document what it's like being a writer a) with writer's block b) actually finishes c) then haves no control over their work any more.

I know it sounds complicated, but I think I pulled it off...I think.

If you want to read it, it be here --> http://figment.com/books/386908-Death-of-the-Fly

hayabusaboston

HSC
My story was a piece about what it's like to be a writer. The narrator is writing a story and is nearly finished and does in fact finish. I wrote it so by the end the reader figures out the story the narrator is writing is the actuall short story they're reading (sort of like an 'Ahhh' moment) The characters also kill the author (Death of the author concept), who is a fly on the wall and flies around the place writing the story (my link to flight).

Basically I tried to break down the fourth wall and document what it's like being a writer a) with writer's block b) actually finishes c) then haves no control over their work any more.

I know it sounds complicated, but I think I pulled it off...I think.

If you want to read it, it be here --> http://figment.com/books/386908-Death-of-the-Fly

First half very nice, It was very vivid and sensual (As in "Of or relating to the five senses" not "sexual" LOL). Though 2nd half got a bit confusing hmm.,..

Amaranth_

HSC
N/A
I...entered.

I was winner of 09' Younger writer ;D.

Edit: Since everyone that has posted in this thread has shared something about their story, my story was entitled "Thoughts like lemon pips."

Last edited:

SophxMusic

HSC
I entered.. And surprisingly, named a Regional finalist. So I'll be heading to Sydney in about 3 weeks :)
My story was about a boy trapped in an Australian refugee camp.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)