Can you theoretically "state rank" in prelim? (1 Viewer)

hayabusaboston

HSC
Like, I know there's no official table and nothing counts in prelim, but I was just wondering if u get 98+ in ur subjects, could you kinda count yourself as having "state ranked"?

Assuming you're at a top 25 selective school, so the exam won't be easy.

LOL just wondering

Absolutezero

real human bean
HSC
N/A
No.

Why? Because there's no records, no proof, no points of real comparison.

Sure, you can make the assumption if it makes you feel good, but you can't actually claim it as anything.

theind1996

HSC
N/A
Like, I know there's no official table and nothing counts in prelim, but I was just wondering if u get 98+ in ur subjects, could you kinda count yourself as having "state ranked"?

LOL just wondering
No you couldn't.

Top 25 schools still have easy exams. E.g. Hurlstone maths exams are really easy.

And what's even the point? Go relatively hard, but don't exhaust yourself going for imaginary state ranks. Relax and refuel for Yr 12.

enoilgam

HSC
A state ranker in your mind's eye - this thread is so ridiculous.

HSC
That doesn't mean anything, a school ranked in the top 5 can set really easy maths exams (from personal experience), there will just be a larger proportion of students achieving very high marks with small gaps between the rankings

Last edited:

such_such

HSC
No you couldn't.

Top 25 schools still have easy exams. E.g. Hurlstone maths exams are really easy.
Top ~5 schools have hard exams + others of course; and yeah Hurlstone's exams are pretty easy. They're not 'challenging'.

Until you get your external marks back from the BOS, you'll never know.

Plus, majority of people are lazy in prelims. Some people just brighten up when HSC starts.

RealiseNothing

what is that?It is Cowpea
HSC
Top ~5 schools have hard exams + others of course; and yeah Hurlstone's exams are pretty easy. They're not 'challenging'.

Plus, majority of people are lazy in prelims. Some people just brighten up when HSC starts.
Not necessarily.

theind1996

HSC
N/A

Depends (srs).

Baulko has pretty standard exams.

LoveHateSchool

Retired Sept '14
HSC
Uni Grad

LOL just wondering
You would be arrogant to think so. Prelim HSC is a whole different kettle of fish. Also, it's elitist to assume your only threats are from top 25 schools...People have state ranked from lower ranked schools in the past. And even bigger subjects only have 20 state rankers, which isn't many in the grand scheme of things.

How do you suppose it could even work when there isn't one big common test everyone does? There's no point of comparison between one school's subject dux and the next...

RealiseNothing

what is that?It is Cowpea
HSC
You would be arrogant to think so. Prelim HSC is a whole different kettle of fish. Also, it's elitist to assume your only threats are from top 25 schools...People have state ranked from lower ranked schools in the past. And even bigger subjects only have 20 state rankers, which isn't many in the grand scheme of things.

How do you suppose it could even work when there isn't one big common test everyone does? There's no point of comparison between one school's subject dux and the next...

alyssa21

HSC
N/A
.... What?! The whole point of 'moderation' in the ways that HSC marks are calculated is such that the marks and results of students at different schools may become comparable. You cannot get a 98 and assume that you're therefore in the top 20 students in the state- even in yr12, that idea doesn't work at all. Topping a subject at a highly-ranked school is not by any means equivalent to state-ranking. Quite frankly, I'm finding your judgment a little arrogant and pretentious...

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)