Extension History or Chemistry??? (1 Viewer)

steve76

HSC
help pleeeease
i'm in year 11 and i want to drop chemistry (because our teacher is shocking and i dont like it that much and i dont need it for the type of engineering i want to do), so in order to drop it, i need to pick up another unit, which would have to be extension history
and i've heard that its really challenging, but could someone give me some help please
thankyou

adii

HSC
Uni Grad
I have heard history is for developing writing skills, which isnt needed for engineering.
chemistry would be more relavent to any engineering anyday. (only did prelims)

D94

HSC
N/A
I have heard history is for developing writing skills, which isnt needed for engineering.
chemistry would be more relavent to any engineering anyday. (only did prelims)
Lol, good luck writing a good engineering report if you think writing skills aren't important. Writing skills are very important in engineering or any field - we were actually tested on this at UNSW in the first 2 weeks. Also, Extension History is a research based and interpretative subject - research skills are very important in engineering. You shouldn't just disregard it because it's a "history" or "humanities" subject.

Anecdotally, I'm doing engineering at uni, and I did Extension History in high school. If you enjoy history and know how to write well, then by all means pick up Extension. I wouldn't say it's terribly challenging, but you need to be quick to formulate an opinion and argue a point on the spot. You also need to be flexible in terms of what history you learn - you might go from Ancient historians one lesson to Post-Modern the next, back to Medieval History, and the next lesson talking about the internet age.

If Chem isn't very relevant (i.e. you're not deciding on doing Chem Eng, Materials Science) and you don't like it, and you like history, then I would drop Chem.

scarvesss

howdy doo
HSC
Lol, good luck writing a good engineering report if you think writing skills aren't important. Writing skills are very important in engineering or any field - we were actually tested on this at UNSW in the first 2 weeks. Also, Extension History is a research based and interpretative subject - research skills are very important in engineering. You shouldn't just disregard it because it's a "history" or "humanities" subject.

Anecdotally, I'm doing engineering at uni, and I did Extension History in high school. If you enjoy history and know how to write well, then by all means pick up Extension. I wouldn't say it's terribly challenging, but you need to be quick to formulate an opinion and argue a point on the spot. You also need to be flexible in terms of what history you learn - you might go from Ancient historians one lesson to Post-Modern the next, back to Medieval History, and the next lesson talking about the internet age.

If Chem isn't very relevant (i.e. you're not deciding on doing Chem Eng, Materials Science) and you don't like it, and you like history, then I would drop Chem.
pretty much this. inbox me your skype man, ill talk to you about it there

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)