4U Maths, or continue with Chem? (1 Viewer)

iPhone4

HSC
N/A
Hey everyone.

I have this dilemma, you see.

I really don't want to do 10 Units next year because incase I am worried that:
1. That requires having to try in SOR1 and I really don't want to
2. That means if I only do 10 Units, I can fuck anything up majorly.

However, I am finding Chemistry increasingly difficult.

FYI, I currently do 12 units.
Currently, I do:
English Adv (forced by school)
SOR1 (Forced by school)
3U Maths
Chem
Legal
Modern History

I know that seems to be a smorgasbord of sciences and humanities, I know.

But this year has been really weird.
For example, in my first three extension maths tests, my marks were in the 60-70% range (admittedly above average, but still) and in my prelim, I received 86%. I enjoy it a lot, but for the prelim I did mounds of practice papers and studied incredibly for it. I managed 5th in the grade.
Chemistry on the other hand, I'm interested in. For me, a lot of the concepts are nonsensical and hard to get my head around, and I find it difficult. However, so does the rest of the form. I've done reasonably well so far, maintaining above average, but receiving 60% in my prelim, as the night before I was much more focused on my Modern History exam hours after Chemistry. I like some concepts and applying Chemistry, I'm just not great at it.
I like the rest of my subjects.

Here's my choices that I see:
Change SoR 1U to 2U (allowed) and drop chemistry, leaves me with 11 units.
Pick up Extension 2 Maths, drop chemistry, leaves me with 11 units.
Pick up Extension History, drop chemistry, leaves me with 11 units.
Drop chemistry, leaves me with 10 units.

Extension History seems rather bland to me, and 2U religion isn't appealing.

So after hearing my spiel and long post, here's my question:
1. Do you think picking up Extension 2 Maths is a wise idea for an Extension 1 student that is comfortable with the course? Would you pick it up?
2. Do you think that dropping Chemistry is a wise idea, or does the content begin afresh/change significantly?

Thanks.

Last edited:

Shadowdude

Cult of Personality
HSC
Well if you're good at Extension 1 Maths, why would you not pick Extension 2?

And if Chemistry is getting hard, have you tried asking your teacher or hiring a tutor to help you? If you're deathly scared of 10 units, then why not spend some money on 'insurance', i.e. tutelage.

Just pick up all the subjects you want. You have a year to decide whether you want to drop it or not. Better you have units to be able to shed rather than hit 10 and realise you can't drop anything else and you didn't take up that other subject you wanted.

Renegader

HSC
Assuming you don't have to do the 2 Unit test if you do 4 unit, it'd be wise to pick that up if you're good at maths.

11 units sounds good to me, because it leaves you room to stuff up one HSC test (50 marks) and it won't impact your ATAR provided that you did well in the internal exams for that subject.

atar90plus

01000101=YES! YES! YES!
HSC
Maths

Chem sucks

I used to do chem for a week in year 11 then drop

This was the time I heard hydrocarbons

Yeh so maths is the better option

Last edited by a moderator:

Amundies

Commander-in-Chief
HSC
Uni Grad
Chem doesn't suck. And if you're good at 3U, then you should be alright for 4U. That being said, our Head of Maths Dept said that 4U candidates should preferably be doing well in 2U and 3U without having to work their backsides off. But 86% after studying is fine.

nemayah

HSC
1. In your position, I would pick up Extension 2 Math because that seems to be your better subject. And without having to do 2U, perhaps that could lift your marks up even more (5th in the grade is already really good imo in year 11!)

2. As you seem to enjoy some parts of Chem, I think that you should keep it. You have the option to drop it anytime and the content changes in year 12 so you might find that the topics next term are easier to wrap your head around. However, despite the content change, you must have a solid understanding of the basics. (Quote my Chem teacher: "If you're still struggling to write a word/symbol equation or you don't understand how covalent bonding works, you should think about Senior Science") Which brings me to the option of Senior Science. Do you have the option to pick up Senior Science? Have you thought about the option of Senior Science? I myself struggle to understand some concepts in Chemistry and I am now thinking of doing Senior Science since I have no intention of taking on a university course that requires Chemistry specifically. <-- Another thing you must think of. Do you think that you will need Chem for a university course? Are you interested in a career that involves Chemistry?
If you don't want to do Senior Science --> I suggest you keep Chem for now and see how you go next term + Pick up 4U Math
If you don't want to do Senior Science and you don't need Chem for a university course --> Pick up 4U Math and keep Chem for now
If you need Chem for a university course --> Keep it for now and if you don't do as well as you want, think about how committed you are to the university course and how much more work you'd need to put into Chem in order to get the marks that you want. (Keeping in mind that it could be detrimental to your other subjects)

Aykay

HSC
Uni Grad
Can't you do 13 units?

That way, if you want to drop your 4th unit of maths, or Chemistry, you can when you really know what you want to do. It beats asking people you don't know and don't know you over the internet.

samah109

HSC
in my opinion, do the subject you find you are best at
if you feel that you are stronger in maths then science, or vice versa then go ahead
dont make a rushed decision and choose with care
my brother did 4 unit and it took up quite alot of time from the other subjects but he still did really really good :)
he also did chem though, as he enjoyed both
but if u had to choose one i would think of it like which subject can i achieve the best possible marks in while enjoing it at the same time :)
i understand ur dilema as i am going through one myself
just do what you think your best at, thats the best advice i can give
good luck

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)