Physics vs Economics (1 Viewer)

rainn

HSC
Hey guys,

I can't decide whether to drop physics or economics for year 12. My other subjects are EX1, MX2 (hopefully), Chemistry. For prelim, I did better in eco, but I've heard that ranks can change significantly. I'm equally interested in both subjects, though I think eco requires less effort. In physics, I performed poorly not because I was struggling but because I didn't maintain a consistent study routine. However, I do usually perform worse in the sciences than my other subjects. Could I be at a disadvantage because about 10-15% of HSC physics is based on prelim?

And I know that my school doesn't perform very well in either subjects. I remember there being a state ranker or two every few years in physics but none for eco (I go to a top 5 school). As for teachers, both are quite lacking.

Also, I haven't been performing well in chemistry either, so would it be really hard to do both sciences for the HSC? Should I drop physics, and do eco?

Any advice appreciated! Thank youuuuu all :)

Bobbo1

HSC
Prelim content does not matter at all for the HSC. So you choose the subject which you think will allow you to score the higher mark...

theind1996

HSC
N/A
Hey guys,

I can't decide whether to drop physics or economics for year 12. My other subjects are EX1, MX2 (hopefully), Chemistry. For prelim, I did better in eco, but I've heard that ranks can change significantly. I'm equally interested in both subjects, though I think eco requires less effort. In physics, I performed poorly not because I was struggling but because I didn't maintain a consistent study routine. However, I do usually perform worse in the sciences than my other subjects. Could I be at a disadvantage because about 10-15% of HSC physics is based on prelim?

And I know that my school doesn't perform very well in either subjects. I remember there being a state ranker or two every few years in physics but none for eco (I go to a top 5 school). As for teachers, both are quite lacking.

Also, I haven't been performing well in chemistry either, so would it be really hard to do both sciences for the HSC? Should I drop physics, and do eco?

Any advice appreciated! Thank youuuuu all :)
Tbh, from what you're saying, drop Physics.

Just remember that Yr 12 Economics is a lot of content.

I reckon check out the HSC courses for both properly, before making your decision.

HSC Economics is a lot more application based as opposed to the theoretical base of Year 11.

Oh, and being a student from a top 5 school, you're probably considering scaling, so Economics scales a little higher as of 2011.

such_such

HSC
Do economics if you like to read newspapers and find it interesting to flip through one and get updates.

But as ^ said, you should try them both out. You assessment task isn't until week 6/7 so just try them out for a week or 2 and you'll be surprised (or not) which one you'd like better.

OzKo

Retired
HSC
Uni Grad
By all accounts, Physics would probably be the one to drop considering you seem to have quite a knack for Economics.

enoilgam

HSC
Physics sounds like the one to drop. However, as I always say to people, try the subjects for the first term of year 12 and then drop, as it gives you a better perspective on what the HSC course is like. However, if you arent comfortable with carrying 12 units into the HSC, then do as theind has suggested and check out all the information you can on the HSC courses for both subjects (maybe go through the syllabi for each, the textbooks and past papers).

RivalryofTroll

Sleep Deprived Entity
HSC
Uni Grad
Physics sounds like the one to drop. However, as I always say to people, try the subjects for the first term of year 12 and then drop, as it gives you a better perspective on what the HSC course is like. However, if you arent comfortable with carrying 12 units into the HSC, then do as theind has suggested and check out all the information you can on the HSC courses for both subjects (maybe go through the syllabi for each, the textbooks and past papers).
Just checking but if she keeps all her subs, wouldn't it be 13 units?
EX1 - 3
MX 2 - 4
Phys - 2
Eco - 2
Chem - 2

@OP: I have a similar problem with Physics as well.
I didn't maintain a consistent study routine for Physics so it ended up being my worst subject throughout the preliminary year. (and I actually go tutoring for it, whereas I don't go tutoring for Business and Economics which are my better subjects in comparison to Physics)

Usually, we'd be more inclined to drop our more statistically worse subject but things CAN change in Year 12. Not saying it WILL change but there's a possibility you could have excelled in the HSC content for Physics but yeah.

Currybear

HSC
Im in the same dilemma, Physics or Eco?

I talked to my teachers and they told me to take both, then drop which ever one im doing worst in

However, in your case i would recommend Physics, because it complements 4U math,

rainn

HSC
Prelim content does not matter at all for the HSC. So you choose the subject which you think will allow you to score the higher mark...
Prelim content may not matter for some subjects, but for physics, my tutor says 10-15% of prelim counts i.e. people who do well will have that 10-15% lead over those who performed not so well. So I think I'll be at a disadvantage as I'll need to put in more time towards it.

Do economics if you like to read newspapers and find it interesting to flip through one and get updates.
I don't actually understand how reading newspapers help. How would you know which section of news is actually relevant to the syllabus unless you've learnt the content already?

@OP: I have a similar problem with Physics as well.
I didn't maintain a consistent study routine for Physics so it ended up being my worst subject throughout the preliminary year. (and I actually go tutoring for it, whereas I don't go tutoring for Business and Economics which are my better subjects in comparison to Physics)

Usually, we'd be more inclined to drop our more statistically worse subject but things CAN change in Year 12. Not saying it WILL change but there's a possibility you could have excelled in the HSC content for Physics but yeah.
I know things can change, but I actually performed pretty terrible for physics. So I'm not sure if I can actually turn this around even if I tried. Not only this, but I'm also worried about my ranks. It will be hard to catch up to those who are already excelling at physics so..

rainn

HSC
Im in the same dilemma, Physics or Eco?

I talked to my teachers and they told me to take both, then drop which ever one im doing worst in

However, in your case i would recommend Physics, because it complements 4U math,
It's good to consider marks, but they can change significantly as people will generally try harder in year 12. I'm considering marks, and also my cohort's performance and my own interest in the subject.

What are you planning to do at Uni?
Not sure yet, nothing science/commerce related though.

I reckon check out the HSC courses for both properly, before making your decision.
However, if you arent comfortable with carrying 12 units into the HSC, then do as theind has suggested and check out all the information you can on the HSC courses for both subjects (maybe go through the syllabi for each, the textbooks and past papers).
Looking at the syllabi and the HSC exams I think maybe eco is more for me. Physics seems a bit dry to be honest, though I can get myself to like it.

Thanks guys for all your input. :) Just wondering though, shouldn't I be considering my school's performance in these subjects too? My school does better in physics. And I'm kind of unwilling to drop physics only because I hear that chemistry and physics interrelate and help a lot (also 4U and phys), so wouldn't I be saving myself time by doing physics? Even though eco is more interesting, I think I will be able to make myself like physics if I got involved in it. Plus, if eco has more content, it will take a longer time learning it right?

Sorry for the long post, but I wanted to acknowledge everyone's replies. :)

RivalryofTroll

Sleep Deprived Entity
HSC
Uni Grad
I know things can change, but I actually performed pretty terrible for physics. So I'm not sure if I can actually turn this around even if I tried. Not only this, but I'm also worried about my ranks. It will be hard to catch up to those who are already excelling at physics so..
Ranks reset next term.

Year 12 is a fresh year, no ranks are carried over from Year 11. Everyone starts at equal.

tomp1612

HSC
Physics is the best subject. I suggest from my experience keep it only if you have a good teacher. if your teachers is crap and you still want to keep it then get a tutor or put in a lot of effort and some physics teacher like my first one wasnt very good. Its entirely up to you

Marc26

HSC
Do eco. I'm in the same sort of predicament and performed poorer in physics, hence why I am dropping physics and keeping eco

Currybear

HSC
This may seem somewhat arbitrary , but how do you start a Thread?

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)