Legal or Modern? (1 Viewer)

fatima96

HSC
Hi.
I'm really lost as to what to choose for prelim 2013.
My subjects thus far are 2U Math, Bio, Chemistry, Physics, Adv English. I'm struggling to choose between Modern and Physics.
I really love learning history, essentially arab-israeli conflict, american history (Malcolm X) etc. I also like learning about Criminals, Human rights etc.
This is such a tough choice! Which do you recommend and why?

TheOptimist

__̴ı̴̴̡̡̡ ̡͌l̡̡̡ ̡͌l̡*̡̡ ̴̡ı̴̴̡ ̡̡͡|̲̲̲͡͡͡ ̲▫̲͡ ̲̲
HSC
Uni Grad
Three sciences might be a bit of a heavy load, but really its up to you, you can really choose both Legal and Modern as the max number of units is 14, my advice would be to go with 14 units and then after your half yearlies you might have a better idea of what your relative strengths are, then you could make your final decision of what to keep:)

theind1996

HSC
N/A
Modern, because the Legal course is pure rote learning and you don't actually learn anything - you can even predict the essay questions.

Modern is more understanding the content - will have you in better stead for further essay writing courses.

fatima96

HSC
Three sciences might be a bit of a heavy load, but really its up to you, you can really choose both Legal and Modern as the max number of units is 14, my advice would be to go with 14 units and then after your half yearlies you might have a better idea of what your relative strengths are, then you could make your final decision of what to keep:)
Problem. My school chose the 3 sciences for me and I only get one choice between modern, legal & business. I've narrowed it down to modern and legal. Another Problem. In YR 12, My school does not allow me to exceed 10 Units and In year 11 Students must not exceed 12. :(

fatima96

HSC
Also I'm accelerating Biology and 2U math

katharinetat

HSC
Uni Grad
Legal studies! I love it, you get an appreciation of the concept of justice and laws and what not. I don't do modern so I'm a bit biased here, haha. But yes, you do have to do essays. It's not that much in year 11, a normal assessment task would usually be of an essay of around 4 or so pages, in the yearly task you'd have multiple, short answer questions, 1-2 essays. I half disagree with TheInd1996, I think you do learn quite a bit in legal, and you can basically memorise the stuff but you REALLY have to know your concepts well, and examples are necessary in almost every question, ie. you gotta back yourself up with legislation, media, cases etc. I think learning the legal concepts is a bit tricky at first but you get used to it, and I reckon it's the examples you also have to learn on top of the legal concepts that make this subject content heavy. Idk, I hear stuff about this subject being not-so-great scaling and the HSC paper doesn't look too difficult tbh. But you should go with what your heart tells you, whatever subject you think is most interesting :) I don't think other subjects you do should affect your choices, I mean, I do subjects from different faculties. Good luck and I hope you get to a decision soon!

tl;dr? Pick legal!

Hoskiies

HSC
Neither, too much work tbh its year 11. Ill pick up SLR if I was you. Bludge :) Drop it next year.

gleeek

HSC
I do both modern and legal and love them both (nerdy, I know), but it all comes down to personal preference and what you wish to achieve. Nearly everyone's answer is going to be biased to an extent as you can see above where someone claims that you don't learn anything in legal. In my opinion, you learn quite a lot, and though it easier to predict and get good marks as when in comparison to modern, it's an enlightening subject if you learn to appreciate it and try your hardest.

So, essentially, choose which one you think will benefit you most. In my opinion- and in many other people's- modern is harder than legal, but they're both equally worthwhile.

Good luck with your choice!

Shadowdude

Cult of Personality
HSC
Hi.
I'm really lost as to what to choose for prelim 2013.
My subjects thus far are 2U Math, Bio, Chemistry, Physics, Adv English. I'm struggling to choose between Modern and Physics.
I really love learning history, essentially arab-israeli conflict, american history (Malcolm X) etc. I also like learning about Criminals, Human rights etc.
This is such a tough choice! Which do you recommend and why?
Take both. Drop whichever you can't handle.

hope14

HSC
Modern - its a LOT of work but is so worth it. Skills learnt can even be adapted to other subjects (e.g. I have used WWI, Cold War, Holocaust and Tiananmen knowledge in English and Ext 1).

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)