studying in summer holidays? (1 Viewer)

hatingschool

HSC
So i'm going into year 11 next year, will it actually help and make a difference in my marks if i started studying from now?

Capt Rifle

HSC
nah just rest, maybe start taking notes near the end of the break, like a week before school

Eg155

HSC
Wouldn't bother if I were you. Take a break because you will have enough work to do when you come back. If you want to go over some content briefly then that's all good. BUT if you do decide to take the 6 week break as a whole holiday make sure you keep your mind working- puzzles and reading, some practice writing etc. Trust me, you forget a lot between yr 10 and yr 11 and handwriting comes a bit er :L so keep it up and you'll be fine! :)

Eg155

HSC
spiritual.. the kid is going into year 11, not year 12 haha

Spiritual Being

hehehehehe
HSC
Uni Grad
oh shit
but yeah
I will be doing a few hours each day as I'm now doing HSC

I saw you guys commenting so I thought it was about hsc lol

PS
In year 10 after the formal on the 2nd of december till the start of school, I was playing games the whole time and going out everyday.

Last edited:

Eg155

HSC
hhaha nope m8.

So for yr 11- no work or just minimal. Yr 12= yes, lots of work.

Got like a stack of work for modern today to complete over the holz. I swear it's like 4 weeks worth of work...

Deliriously

HSC
I don't think its necessary to do much study.
However, I recommend looking through the syllabus of your subjects and reading the first module.
If you're doing maths, I would revise on the concepts from junior years and perhaps do some exercises if you have a year 11 textbook.
(You have 6 weeks, enjoy it but don't put it to waste either!)

Spiritual Being

hehehehehe
HSC
Uni Grad
hhaha nope m8.

So for yr 11- no work or just minimal. Yr 12= yes, lots of work.

Got like a stack of work for modern today to complete over the holz. I swear it's like 4 weeks worth of work...
I will try my best to finish all the homework early
then I'm going to go ahead for everything...

Eg155

HSC
I will try my best to finish all the homework early
then I'm going to go ahead for everything...
Yeah man, same here.

Want to be ahead of the theory work in chem and bio 1 topic. I'm getting raped rank wise I think, even though we haven't gotten marks back. Got that f33l.

nifkeh

HSC
I did study a bit for my prelims in the holidays before year 11, though everything was for maths pretty much, maths 2 U

i did like a couple of topics, so when I did those maths class tests once school started I nearly got 100% for my first two topics on the first 4 chaps, then I kind of failed my geometry one after that lol. but remember, you need to be consistent throughout the year with your study, if you ace the beginning of the year and don't do work to keep up you will start to drop before your eyes, and then bam, year 12 starts. you need to keep up with the standards with expectations. when I first did differentiation, I couldn't do it properly (this was beginning of term 2 of year 11) and I thought I was literally going to fail math and can't do it for year 12 at that rate, but I did lots of exercises on it then I got 100% for the class test after my other mediocre test marks lol. But once you find success, don't stop there, maths is going super fast in year 11 and 12 so you have to keep it up. Once you ace differentiation, there's integration. Then there's applications of the second derivative. Then in year 12 you differentiate and integrate logs and e and then find volumes and areas of stuff by integration which builds upon your knowledge. Then comes calculus and the trig functions lol.

Don't work yourself too hard these holidays, aim for consistency for the whole year or you'll find yourself crashing after the first term of year 11 ends, which isn't pleasant at all. Don't function on the bare minimum - ie only doing homework from class, you need to extend yourself with your own study or else you'd be falling behind easily. I learnt this the hard way because I was lazy and thought just doing teacher's homework would suffice. Definitely not for maths lol, in the exam they will throw harder stuff at you and you will be like what is this. Self study is crucial to top subjects in both year 11 and 12. :)

LoveHateSchool

Retired Sept '14
HSC
Uni Grad
Nooo please enjoy these holidays, it'll do you the world of good to be well rested and psyched heading into senior school.

Honestly this is probably your last holidays where you won't have assignments to do and things to brush up on.

hatingschool

HSC
thanks guys, for some odd reason I've found myself doing 14 units next year, and my schools getting 15 new students from a different school next year who've gone crazy ahead, i'm talking all of year 11 done ahead, so the stress is piling on :L

enoilgam

HSC
Wouldn't bother if I were you. Take a break because you will have enough work to do when you come back. If you want to go over some content briefly then that's all good. BUT if you do decide to take the 6 week break as a whole holiday make sure you keep your mind working- puzzles and reading, some practice writing etc. Trust me, you forget a lot between yr 10 and yr 11 and handwriting comes a bit er :L so keep it up and you'll be fine! :)
Nooo please enjoy these holidays, it'll do you the world of good to be well rested and psyched heading into senior school.

Honestly this is probably your last holidays where you won't have assignments to do and things to brush up on.
These two pretty much. If you're really desperate to do some work, maybe do some reading of your textbooks.

deswa1

HSC
Don't do anything (srs)- enjoy the break. I'll be honest- I only ever started working in the holidays when I was in these holidays in year 12. I walked into the first week of year 12 and I didn't even know what the texts were for english, or what Mod A,B,C were about, or what was in the chem/phys syllabus and I still did alright...

If you want, maybe consolidate some things you are struggling with (especially maths), but the rest, I wouldn't worry too much tbh

nifkeh

HSC
Don't do anything (srs)- enjoy the break. I'll be honest- I only ever started working in the holidays when I was in these holidays in year 12. I walked into the first week of year 12 and I didn't even know what the texts were for english, or what Mod A,B,C were about, or what was in the chem/phys syllabus and I still did alright...

If you want, maybe consolidate some things you are struggling with (especially maths), but the rest, I wouldn't worry too much tbh
yeah, I had no idea what we were doing for english either, so didn't have anything for that. but you do raise a good point, work at stuff you are struggling with/interested about

Drifting95

Should i change my DP?
HSC
Man don't bother. As said here in every post, enjoy your final set of holidays where you don't have to do anything ! Enjoy them because everyone else who has posted including me wishes we didn't have to study this holidays, however we do...

starshine02

HSC
I would just use my time to properly enjoy the break before year 11. You could skim over some notes or a textbook if you're really bothered or read your english texts if you know them. But otherwise just have fun haha.

LoveHateSchool

Retired Sept '14
HSC
Uni Grad
There is more than enough time in the Year 12 year to do copious amounts of work and get ahead as much as you want in actual yr 12.

Case in point(did not do any work in these trip things)
1) I was away the end of yr 11/all of pre yr 12 holidays/first few days of yr 12-overseas
2) Summer holidays-away for two weeks interstate
3) Away end of Term 2/winter hols-overseas

And even being away in what, all the during school holidays bar Easter, I still had days where I didn't do any study (public speaking etc.), despite this I still got a stackload of work done during the school term, at my most motivated 5-7 hours a schoolday (depending if I had any study periods or not). I did not feel the need to try and get ahead in yr 11 either-yr 11 prelim ranks are not indicative of yr 12, the only subject it helps is maths. Rest, you tend to start new stuff or not need the specific prelim knowledge.

So yeah wow, I practically was never actually home to do schoolwork during yr 12 in the holidays.

iSplicer

HSC
Uni Grad
I watched about 6 complete TV shows during the summer break between years 10 and 11, a grand total of zero work. If I could go back and do it again, I'd grind as much maths as possible during the break, it would've made my Year 12 a lot easier. But apart from this, just chillax and charge up.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)