Ions (1 Viewer)

kazemagic

HSC
Why dont Silicon, Carbon, Boron and phosphorus form ions?
Heres teh question:

Heres da answer:

Dunno why silicon, carbon, boron and phos dont form ions :/

Attachments

Last edited:

Aysce

HSC
I'm a little unclear about what you're asking. I'm pretty sure any element can form ions via a variety of different ways e.g. Removal of an electron from a gaseous atom of the element, reduction (gaining electrons), oxidation (losing electrons), dissolving in a liquid etc. Are you more so referring to why Silicon, Carbon, Boron and Phosphorus generally don't form ionic bonds?

kazemagic

HSC
I'm a little unclear about what you're asking. I'm pretty sure any element can form ions via a variety of different ways e.g. Removal of an electron from a gaseous atom of the element, reduction (gaining electrons), oxidation (losing electrons), dissolving in a liquid etc. Are you more so referring to why Silicon, Carbon, Boron and Phosphorus generally don't form ionic bonds?
updated with question and answer lol

Aysce

HSC
Alright, I'll answer your question although I could be (most likely) wrong.

GENERALLY (from what I've found regularly), ionic bonding usually transfers 1-2 electrons from one atom of an element to another atom of an element. From what I've seen so far, it's quite rare to transfer 3 electrons and more from one atom to another since they are usually shared ie. Covalent bonds. So we know that Si has a valency of +4, C has a valency of +4, B has a valency of +3 and P has a valency of +5 so it is unlikely they're form ionic bonds and ions.

Need some confirmation here lol

Kurosaki

True Fail Kid
HSC
Kaze wants to become a duck? Of Girraween. U're moving there next yr right? Permit me to say a belated congratulations

Last edited:

kazemagic

HSC
Alright, I'll answer your question although I could be (most likely) wrong.

GENERALLY (from what I've found regularly), ionic bonding usually transfers 1-2 electrons from one atom of an element to another atom of an element. From what I've seen so far, it's quite rare to transfer 3 electrons and more from one atom to another since they are usually shared ie. Covalent bonds. So we know that Si has a valency of +4, C has a valency of +4, B has a valency of +3 and P has a valency of +5 so it is unlikely they're form ionic bonds and ions.

Need some confirmation here lol
thx, so that means group 3, 4 and 5 dont form ions? O_O

Aysce

HSC
thx, so that means group 3, 4 and 5 dont form ions? O_O
Not necessarily, you just see more covalent bonding I would think than ionic bonding. Again, I can't fully confirm it but I don't think you can make such a huge claim.

kazemagic

HSC
Kaze wants to become a duck? Of Girraween. U're moving there next yr right? Permit me to say a belated congratulations
thx lol, na this is just for chem tutor, cos he goes thru the basics rlly fast and then go into some deep shit, and i cant even understand half of it cos my science teacher never taught me anything. So now i gotta self learn all the basics :( so sad

starshine02

HSC
Not sure about all of them but I know that carbon and silicon definitely forms covalent bonds (share electrons) rather than bonding ionically as too much energy is required. That's why those don't form ions but I'm not completely sure for the rest. Also Al is group 3 but it definitely forms ions so yeah...

kazemagic

HSC
Not necessarily, you just see more covalent bonding I would think than ionic bonding. Again, I can't fully confirm it but I don't think you can make such a huge claim.
yea wondering if there were any definite answers lol

Aysce

HSC
Not sure about all of them but I know that carbon and silicon definitely forms covalent bonds (share electrons) rather than bonding ionically as too much energy is required. That's why those don't form ions but I'm not completely sure for the rest. Also Al is group 3 but it definitely forms ions so yeah...
This is true although as I said before, they GENERALLY form covalent bonds rather than make ions/ionic bonds.

Obvious

HSC
Uni Grad
I know they're just trying to illustrate a trend but this question is pretty bad.

Kurosaki

True Fail Kid
HSC
thx lol, na this is just for chem tutor, cos he goes thru the basics rlly fast and then go into some deep shit, and i cant even understand half of it cos my science teacher never taught me anything. So now i gotta self learn all the basics :( so sad
Is this peak science?

nifkeh

HSC
Argon most of the times won't form ions because it's a noble gas, and they have a full outer shell so do not need to donate or accept electrons to be stable. But only in extreme situations it can donate/accept or have a charge, but for the purposes of prelim and hsc chem we assume it doesn't have electrons.

the other elements that said it had no ions, they actually can form ions, except their charge is very high, and generally it is harder for them to accept or donate electrons than group 1,2 or 6,7 because they aren't really reactive as those groups, and I think the ionisation energy is high and the electronegativity is low compared to those groups so it is harder for it to have a full shell, also with a higher charge or valency, it is generally harder to become stable with a full outer shell than those with a lower valency so I think it requires more energy to make it have a complete shell than your other reactive elements in groups 1,2, 6, 7. so yeah

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)