Covalent bonds (1 Viewer)

kazemagic

HSC
In question 4, why are the covalent bonds charged? I looked through prelim conquering chem and I cant find anything that talks about this. Can someone tell me what topic is that, so i can study it

http://i.imgur.com/ytBTx.jpg

theind1996

HSC
N/A
Some of them are charged because of hydrogen bonds due to differences in polarity - this is from topic 3, water so don't fret over it.

And PM me if you want something better for revision than that trash Conquering Chem for Year 11 :p

HSC2014

HSC
N/A
Uhm - they are all polyatomic ions, a bunch of atoms bonded together chemically to act as a single ion. I don't think polarity has anything to do with the answer here.
The answer lies within how the Lewis Dot Diagrams are drawn.
i. Oxygen is missing its other 6 electrons
ii. Im supposing this one is correct, but I learnt to do :c:::n: not the vertical thing. Someone clarify?
iii. Wrong number of electrons on the atoms..
iv. Hydrogen does not have that many electrons.

Last edited:

kazemagic

HSC
Uhm - they are all polyatomic ions, a bunch of atoms bonded together chemically to act as a single ion. I don't think polarity has anything to do with the answer here.
The answer lies within how the Lewis Dot Diagrams are drawn.
i. Oxygen is missing its other 6 electrons
ii. Im supposing this one is correct, but I learnt to do :c:::n: not the vertical thing. Someone clarify?
iii. Wrong number of electrons on the atoms..
iv. Hydrogen does not have that many electrons.
ohh alrite thx :D

BlugyBlug

HSC
Alright another question D:
So for question b) I know its a triagonal pyramidal, but I don't know why its a triagonal pyramidal :O
http://i.imgur.com/avXap.jpg
Thanks

there is a lone electron pair at the top of the pyramid.
this lone electron pair repels the hydrogen atoms from that point at the top of the pyramid. result: hydrogen atoms move to the bottom of the N atom, as they are repelled by an electron pair at the top.

theind1996

HSC
N/A
Alright another question D:
So for question b) I know its a triagonal pyramidal, but I don't know why its a triagonal pyramidal :O
http://i.imgur.com/avXap.jpg
Thanks
Ammonia has 4 electron pairs right? 1 at the top, 1 left, 1 right, 1 bottom.

However, it only has 3 bonding pairs since 1 of the electron pairs is unbonded.

The unbonded electron pair repels the bonding electron pairs causing them to bend down.

That's why it looks like a trigonal pyramid (aka Siddy 123's house).

Ah damn it got beaten by BlugyBlug.

kazemagic

HSC
there is a lone electron pair at the top of the pyramid.
this lone electron pair repels the hydrogen atoms from that point at the top of the pyramid. result: hydrogen atoms move to the bottom of the N atom, as they are repelled by an electron pair at the top.
Ammonia has 4 electron pairs right? 1 at the top, 1 left, 1 right, 1 bottom.

However, it only has 3 bonding pairs since 1 of the electron pairs is unbonded.

The unbonded electron pair repels the bonding electron pairs causing them to bend down.

That's why it looks like a trigonal pyramid (aka Siddy 123's house).

Ah damn it got beaten by BlugyBlug.
ohh alright thanks guys :)

HSC2014

HSC
N/A
Are you self learning the content? o_O

Last edited:

kazemagic

HSC
Are you self teaching yourself? o_o
yea pretty much, my chem and phys tutor goes too fast for me, which just leaves me confused. So i have to self study to build a stronger foundation so i will actually understand what my tutor is talking about lol not a pleasant process =.=

theind1996

HSC
N/A
yea pretty much, my chem and phys tutor goes too fast for me, which just leaves me confused. So i have to self study to build a stronger foundation so i will actually understand what my tutor is talking about lol not a pleasant process =.=
Perhaps you should get another tutor? lol...

Aysce

HSC
You're already doing water, Kazemagic?

nifkeh

HSC
dont kno any others :/ and i think the problem is with me cos my foundations sucked thanks to my science teacher =.=
if you're doing water already that's way too fast, especially if you haven't mastered the first topic and metals well enough. I did water in tutor in term 2 and even at that point, isn't at a disadvantage

Aysce

HSC
if you're doing water already that's way too fast, especially if you haven't mastered the first topic and metals well enough. I did water in tutor in term 2 and even at that point, isn't at a disadvantage
He hasn't completed metals yet.

kazemagic

HSC
dw i already decided to basement this holiday

HSC2014

HSC
N/A
Well the first two modules don't really have that much of an impact on the third (water). I don't think it will be much of an issue.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)