Starting Year 11 (1 Viewer)

laura-jayne14

HSC
Uni Grad
Hey Guys,

I am starting year 11 in January and I am really nervous about it. I had a few questions:
I have currently chosen:
Advanced English
General Mathematics
Biology
Community & Family Studies
Italian (beginers)
Business Services

Are these subjects good? What type of stuff do you learn? How do I studied? Good revision textbooks? Thanks

Synchronised

HSC
Hey Guys,

I am starting year 11 in January and I am really nervous about it. I had a few questions:
I have currently chosen:
Advanced English
General Mathematics
Biology
Community & Family Studies
Italian (beginers)
Business Services

Are these subjects good? What type of stuff do you learn? How do I studied? Good revision textbooks? Thanks
We can't tell you if the subjects are good or not, it depends on what you are good at and what you enjoy. I did biology last year and I was ranked 40/40 lolol I hated it so I dropped it but I enjoy my current subjects a lot.
Be consistent, study efficiently for about 6 hours per day, make notes and make to do lists so you don't sit there not knowing what to do.
Why are you doing general maths? Maths 2U is very easy as well.
By the way, what made you choose these subjects? Do you actually enjoy them or because they are easy?

brent012

Webmaster
Webmaster
HSC
Not for everyone.

Good choice with advanced over standard. When you say good what do you mean? I haven't done any of those subjects except Adv English, and they aren't common choices among people on here so you might have trouble getting any advice. If you want to know what you learn just look up the syllabus or borrow a textbook from a library. If you meant scaling wise then they aren't great but this is offset by the fact that you will probably enjoy them - it's stupid choosing a subject solely for scaling. As for revision textbooks, Excel typically make pretty good ones but i think you'll have difficulty finding any revision textbooks for a few of your subjects. Studying works differently for everyone and you'll have to use year 11 to see what works if you dont already know from earlier school years.

laura-jayne14

HSC
Uni Grad
Hi,

I chose these subjects because I think I will go well in them. I chose Advanced English because I go well in English. I was going to choose mathematics but I had difficulty completing the 5.3 course work. I got advised to do General. As for Italian I have already done 100hrs and I came 1st.
All subjects are scaled the same. It relies on your effort and application to the subject. I chose a variety that I would enjoy - not because they're easy, they won't be.

Spiritual Being

hehehehehe
HSC
Uni Grad
We can't tell you if the subjects are good or not, it depends on what you are good at and what you enjoy. I did biology last year and I was ranked 40/40 lolol I hated it so I dropped it but I enjoy my current subjects a lot.
Be consistent, study efficiently for about 6 hours per day, make notes and make to do lists so you don't sit there not knowing what to do.
By the way, what made you choose these subjects? Do you actually enjoy them or because they are easy?

6 hours per day is very excessive.

Also, just because you find 2 unit maths easy doesn't mean everyone will.

HSC2014

HSC
N/A
As long as you're not gunning for 99+ ATAR or something, you'll be fine with your subject selections so long you put in effort and maintain interest in them.
Remember, first know yourself. Year 11 is a good time for experimentation to figure out how you best study, learn, etc in preparation for HSC year. Don't stress it too much, and most importantly don't burn out i.e. be comfortable with the pace and don't force work.

HSC
Hi,

I chose these subjects because I think I will go well in them. I chose Advanced English because I go well in English. I was going to choose mathematics but I had difficulty completing the 5.3 course work. I got advised to do General. As for Italian I have already done 100hrs and I came 1st.
All subjects are scaled the same. It relies on your effort and application to the subject. I chose a variety that I would enjoy - not because they're easy, they won't be.
no

no

no

Scaling exists and it is NOT equal for all subjects. I strongly recommend you to read this UAC document
http://www.uac.edu.au/undergraduate/atar/reports.shtml

However you are right in choosing the subjects that you are confident with and not on the pure basis of scaling, although the amount it plays a role in your decision depends on your goals/ATAR aim.

Last edited:

Spiritual Being

hehehehehe
HSC
Uni Grad

enoilgam

HSC
Scaling exists and it is NOT equal for all subjects. I strongly recommend you to read this UAC document
http://www.uac.edu.au/undergraduate/atar/reports.shtml

However you are right in choosing the subjects that you are confident with and not on the pure basis of scaling. The amount that scaling should play a role in your decision depends on how high your ATAR aim is.
This pretty much. With regards to study, as I have said many times on BoS, study is about finding what works best for you. You should use Year 11 to try different methods and strategies to see which suits you best.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)