Pros and Cons of doing both Modern and Ancient. (1 Viewer)

Verify

HSC
I chose both Modern and Ancient History for my Year 11 subjects, and I was wondering what the pros and cons were of doing both at the same time. Do both subjects relate/intertwine to each other? If so, what benefits would this give me?

I've talked to a few ex-students who did very well in the HSC who have done both subjects, and I feel as if it's a bad idea doing both subjects (I don't particularly find Ancient interesting but it was the only subject I was most interested in after choosing my others), but I would like to get an opinion from the BOS community. Thanks. :read:

enoilgam

HSC
I dont see any disadvantages. If anything, the fact that they are closely related in terms of skills would make doing both beneficial.

LoveHateSchool

Retired Sept '14
HSC
Uni Grad
I chose both Modern and Ancient History for my Year 11 subjects, and I was wondering what the pros and cons were of doing both at the same time. Do both subjects relate/intertwine to each other? If so, what benefits would this give me?

I've talked to a few ex-students who did very well in the HSC who have done both subjects, and I feel as if it's a bad idea doing both subjects (I don't particularly find Ancient interesting but it was the only subject I was most interested in after choosing my others), but I would like to get an opinion from the BOS community. Thanks. :read:
It was pretty common at my school for people to do both-even some with his ext on top.

There are no disadvantages if you like both modern/ancient history. And it'll reinforce that essay writing/source use skills base.

Siennalady

HSC
I did both Modern and Ancient history. and it was REALLY beneficial in my opinion.

Modern History is quite detailed, in my opinion. Because of this, you will be able to use skills that you gain in Modern History, that you can use in Ancient History. Such as creating the perfect bibliography, learning how to analyse a source (SO SO SO SO SO IMPORTANT IN BOTH HISTORIES), learning how to critique a source (SO SO SO SO SO SO SOOO IMPORTANT) and learning how to paraphrase a source into an essay (which believe it or not, people do struggle with).

I remember when we were set assignments in Ancient History, all the people in my class who only did the one history struggled a lot more in approaching and completing the assignment. So, it's really awesome in that way. You have an awesome advantage.

It's definitely a good idea. I also didn't favour Ancient History as much in year 10. But in year 11 you get to learn about REALLY interesting things, and you forget that it's an actual subject. haha!

There's not really any cons about doing the two of them.
But that's just me, the history nerd LOL! (I'm studying to be a history and biology teacher this year LOL)

Hope I helped! :)

alstah

HSC
Uni Grad
Both are great subjects.

They don't relate in anyway in terms of content - however, in terms of presentation they do (i.e. similar syllabus structure, similar exam structure, similar approach to answers questions (referring to sources etc.). I got 98 in ancient history and that was the main reason I got a high enough ATAR to get into USyd law lol.

Ancient is all about memory, so if you have a good memory and get a variety of sources, use numerous textbooks (and have a good teacher), you will do very well. Modern isn't as much content as it is using sources, and integrating content with the source to answer the question.

I think if your strengths lie in HSIE, then I highly recommend you keep both ancient and modern. The year 11 course is nothing like the year 12 course. But just as long as you do what you enjoy and study hard, yo will do great.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)