Which subjects should I drop (and pick up) in year 12? (1 Viewer)

tonynho

HSC
Okay so, for my prelims this year I'm doing English adv. and ext1, modern & ancient history, multimedia, portuguese continuers and sor1. Now what I'm thinking for year 12 is to drop one of the history subjects, multimedia, pick up English Extension 2 and History Extension.

So I'll be left with English adv. and Extension 1 & 2, modern/ancient, history extension, portuguese and sor1. Do you think this is a good combination of subjects, should I change to sor2 this year? I'm just unsure if this will bring me an atar of at least 98.5.

enoilgam

HSC
Okay so, for my prelims this year I'm doing English adv. and ext1, modern & ancient history, multimedia, portuguese continuers and sor1. Now what I'm thinking for year 12 is to drop one of the history subjects, multimedia, pick up English Extension 2 and History Extension.

So I'll be left with English adv. and Extension 1 & 2, modern/ancient, history extension, portuguese and sor1. Do you think this is a good combination of subjects, should I change to sor2 this year? I'm just unsure if this will bring me an atar of at least 98.5.
I wouldnt worry about which subjects to drop or pick up at this point. I would start thinking about it towards the end of year 11 once you have a clearer perspective on what all your subjects are like.

tonynho

HSC
I wouldnt worry about which subjects to drop or pick up at this point. I would start thinking about it towards the end of year 11 once you have a clearer perspective on what all your subjects are like.
Yeah, I'm getting a bit worried already. Don't know why though... Do you think I should change to SORII? I read the syllabus for the course and it seems much interesting than SORI and it does scale crazy if I heard correctly?

jnney

lemon
HSC
I also think it's a bit to early - it's good to have an idea though, but these decisions may change throughout the year.

Also, it is possible to get an ATAR of 98.5 with or without SOR2.

tonynho

HSC
I also think it's a bit to early - it's good to have an idea though, but these decisions may change throughout the year.

Also, it is possible to get an ATAR of 98.5 with or without SOR2.
But my chances would increase if I changed to SOR2 right?

jnney

lemon
HSC
Also - don't be worried. Do the best that you can and it'll pay off. :)

Pick a subject because you love or enjoy it, but not for the reason that it scales high. Because it won't make a difference if you don't do well - and if that's the case it'll be 1-2 years of hell.

Scaling of SOR2: http://www.matrix.edu.au/matrix-atar-scaling-ebook/

enoilgam

HSC
Yeah, I'm getting a bit worried already. Don't know why though... Do you think I should change to SORII? I read the syllabus for the course and it seems much interesting than SORI and it does scale crazy if I heard correctly?
I'm not too sure on the scaling of SOR II, but last I checked it was an average/slightly above average scaler (someone correct me if I am wrong). If you think you will like it then you should try it. Year 11 is about experimenting with new things, so that when you enter the HSC you have a clear idea of how you will approach it. So I would go into year 11 with an open mind and see how things play out. I remember when I started year 11, I was adamant that I wouldnt drop MX1 or SOR II - at the end of the year, I dropped both of them.

jnney

lemon
HSC
Nevertheless, if you want to take a chance with SOR2, go for it.

tonynho

HSC
Many thanks for the input guys! Will definitely think of picking up SOR2 even if it helps in the least :)

LoveHateSchool

Retired Sept '14
HSC
Uni Grad

Definitely wait till towards the end of yr 11-you will be remarkably surprised at how what you think you drop etc. will change so much through those 9 months. I thought about dropping many of my 2u subjects earlier in yr 11 but by the end of yr 11 it became more clear what I wanted to pick up and drop, although I was still conflicted.

So my advice, is go in to yr 11 and give all your subjects your best shot and decide after at yr 11 yearly/early yr 12. I generally think with exts to try them for a bit as they are easily dropped and you don't want to regret not giving them a go. I picked up both EE2 and His Ext to give a go but didn't want to keep up a high unit load for yr 12 so I dropped His Ext after a term.

gee-dee-enn95

HSC
As everybody else seems to be saying, wait a little bit before you make any decisions. I know what it's like, I came into Year 11 knowing what I wanted to drop and pick up. As some advice, maybe wait until you have your report, or at least your yearly exam marks so you can see how you go. Don't rush into anything.

In regards to Ancient and Modern history, if you enjoy both of them, then drop whatever gets you the lower mark. Besides, you can always revisit whichever one you drop in your extension major work! Oh an by the way, if you do have second thoughts about picking up extension history, then just give it a go! You can always drop after a term or so, and believe me, people do. But it is a brilliant course, very interesting and it really helps with your 2 unit ancient or modern history. A little tricky to get your head around at first (all the historiography stuff), and I will admit, it is a lot of work for a 1 unit subject. But it really is worth it.

And good luck for modern history! It's really interesting, although sometimes during Year 11, I wondered if I was sitting in a history class or a politics class.

Don't know much about English Extension 2, sorry.

I do SOR 1, and while it can get quite boring at times, it is a really easy course, and thus it is really easy marks. SOR 2 doesn't scale brilliantly, but it does look slightly more interesting than SOR 1...

Good luck!

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)