please help- need opinion on subjects.. (1 Viewer)

shellay

HSC
N/A
Hi guys :)

I want to change my subjects coz I dont want to do DT..
my current subjects are (preliminary):
- Adv eng
- Maths 3u
- Physics
- Chemistry
- SOR2 (but i'm thinking of dropping to SOR1 if I have too..)
- DT

Just needing opinions on those who are doing or did these subjects as I want to have an idea before I change:

- biology
- ancient history

Would you say the subject is interesting for you? VERY time consuming? Is doing 3 sciences too much?

Thanks for everything! :awesome:

Rectanglor

HSC
For me, Ancient was very interesting :)
But before you decide to pick it up for Year 12, ask the teacher what topics you'll be studying to make sure you're interested. If not, the workload will kill you.

Kurosaki

True Fail Kid
HSC
Hi guys :)

I want to change my subjects coz I dont want to do DT..
my current subjects are (preliminary):
- Adv eng
- Maths 3u
- Physics
- Chemistry
- SOR2 (but i'm thinking of dropping to SOR1 if I have too..)
- DT

Just needing opinions on those who are doing or did these subjects as I want to have an idea before I change:

- biology
- ancient history

Would you say the subject is interesting for you? VERY time consuming? Is doing 3 sciences too much?

Thanks for everything! :awesome:
Pick up a couple of textbooks and get a feel for their content. Although I personally do not do biology, I have heard from yr 11 and 12 friends that the prelim course is quite dry, but the HSC course is really fun and interesting.

honey23

HSC
N/A
Hey! I do three sciences and I don't think the workload is too much (though I'm only a prelimmer).

Biology is amazingly fun - my favourite science at the moment. Ancient I have heard is content-heavy, but then again so is biology, but it's really which you are more interested in :)

deloving

HSC
I'll try to sustain hold back my hate towards science and try to be as unbiased as I can with the following advise: If you really don't mind either subject, Ancient History might be a good choice. Because you are already doing Chemistry and Physics, a humanities subject may prove to be more enjoyable and relaxed because it will add variety to your study. I'm the kind of person who just cannot sit and focus for more than 30 minutes. Therefore I usually do intervals of 30 minutes and switch between subjects to keep my interest and focus.

Of course, the first thing you should do is ask yourself which subject are you best at and will enjoy the most. Good luck.

ayeplus_

HSC
I do both Ancient History and Biology.
Ancient History - It's an interesting subject that is quite heavy with content but if you're interested in learning about ancient civilisations (Egypt, Pompeii & Herculaneum, Minoan Crete etc.) then choose it. It also depends on what you're learning for your HSC topics so you should ask your teacher. I find that it doesn't require much work compared to the sciences, but as long as you revise constantly and keep up with homework you will be fine. I don't study Ancient as much as Bio but I have been consistently topping it. It's a relaxing and nice break from doing Chem and Bio. Although, I did kind of lose motivation and interest because of the topic.. But it's up to you and your interests. Check the syllabus to see the topics that are offered.

Biology - Prelim content wasn't very interesting. It was bland but the HSC topic gets really interesting i.e. learning about genetics and evolution. Biology is heavy content too and has a bigger workload than Ancient. It's one of my favourite subjects and I reckon it's a subject that takes up most of my time so you should allocate your time efficiently.

Choose the subject that you enjoy most and that will maximise your ATAR. And I also think that doing 3 sciences isn't too much - again, you need to allocate your time efficiently and keep a balance between all your subjects. Considering that you do a lot of subjects that are considered difficult/scale high, maybe Ancient History would be a nice/relax-y type of subject. Good luck :)

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)