Is it too late to change subjects? (1 Viewer)

boomshaka

HSC
Hey guys. I'm in Year 11 and as you can see on in my signature, I do Advanced English, 2U Maths, MX1, Physics, Chemistry, Music 2 and Italian Beginners. I initially wanted to do Biology and Chem, but everyone suggested to do Physics instead of Biology, and I thought "Why not? I'll just change if I don't like it." Now, it's 6 weeks into the term starting from tomorrow and I'm still in Physics. See, Physics is okay. But in saying that it's not the best subject in my opinion. I also think it's my teacher; he's one of those teachers who talk rather than write, which is harder for me because I'd prefer to be able to look back on notes from teachers and I like writing notes. Usually he'd carry on and end up talking about something other than what we're learning about. I also found out my class is behind the rest of the other Physics classes.

Would it be too late to change subjects now from Physics to Bio, considering my half yearlies are in 4 weeks? And if so, would it be hard to get back on track with Bio? I also would like to know if it would be best to stay in Physics or Bio. Btw, I've already had my first test for Physics if that's important.

I'll also add this in - I'm thinking of dropping MX1, because it's a lot of work to keep up with and it's not exactly my favourite subject. I feel productive in that class because we're learning so much but compared to the rest of the class, I'm the dumbest and sometimes I feel so unmotivated and not do the work. I feel that I could just drop MX1 and excel in 2U Maths, but is MX1 worth staying in?

Thanks in advance.

Macqncheese

Banned
HSC
N/A
Probably a bit to late.

Not many schools will let you change at this time

laura-jayne14

HSC
Uni Grad
You would have to check with your year advisors.
Finally, found someone else doing italian beginers :D
A più tardi :)

Verify

HSC
I asked my deputy if I could change subjects last week and he said it was too late, but he gave me an exception. Turns out I couldn't change anyway because the lines didn't match. lol.

honey23

HSC
N/A
Try to change - I do biology, and it is my favourite subject so far!
I am similar to you; I was going to be pushed to do MX1 but I held back and only did 2 u. I wouldn't be comfortable doing MX1. I'm going to try my hardest in 2u, but MX1 I don't think I could handle. It really depends on what kind of ATAR you are looking for. I don't need one *exceptionally* high, and I think I can reach it without doing extensions, but in your case this may be different.
The bottom line is I believe you should try to change, we have done a fair bit in Biology, but with a bit of extra work you should be able to catch up.
Good luck, fellow 2014'er!

boomshaka

HSC
Yeah, that was the problem - Physics and Bio weren't on the same line so I would've had to change my entire timetable! I was already settled in my classes and I liked my timetable so was really indecisive about it, hence this post. I've decided so stay with Physics because I doubt I'll be able to change and half yearlies are in two weeks and a bit. I don't think I'll be able to learn that much content in such little time. But I appreciate your help guys :)

laura-jayne14 - Ciao! Yeah, there's not many people doing Italian. But I like it and it's my "relaxing" subject :D

honey23 - Well I'm planning to do Adv Sci so probably around 95. The reason I took it was just to try, and because I sorta felt pressured to take an extension subject. What's preventing me from dropping it is my teacher though; she's great, and my class is both my 2U Maths + MX1 class, so if I drop, I'll probably be moved to a different class and that's exactly what I don't want. I also realised that what I'm having trouble with is associated with 2U, not MX1 (yet). Good luck to you too!

Indoz

HSC
lol what exams in 2 weeks?

our exams start in end of april to the start of may i think, straight after term 1 holidays

boomshaka

HSC
My half-yearlies start week 9-11, yay for me hahaha

Last edited:

kat-

msftsrep
HSC
half yearlies start at the beginning of term two

i already have an ancient, eco, english and math assessment all due in week 8~

@OP, yes it's probs too late to change it because the deadline for me was a few weeks ago.

iEatOysters

HSC
We've just sat our English Advanced and Mathematics exams. MX1 is next week, with Modern the week after that. Eco, Chem and EX1 all have assessments in week 10, as well. :/

deloving

HSC
Really... most subjects have 1 task a term, for my school at least. Sometimes we have 2 assessments in a term.

Hazballs

HSC
I don't think its too late.. I switched from chemistry to biology in term 2, and i didn't really have that much work to catch up on anyway

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)