Best approach to pulling an all-nighter (1 Viewer)

wagig

HSC
Hey guys, its come to my attention that i'm going to have to pull an all-nighter soon to finish an assignment i have :L
Anyone with experience have any tips for this? Is it better to have like regular small naps, or just power it out?

Aysce

HSC
My famous guide to all-nighters:

-Get some coffee ready, you're going to need it.
-Energy drinks if possible
-Open all windows to let in a cool breeze
-Take 3 minute ice cold showers every hour
-DON'T SLEEP, YOU'LL WAKE UP EVEN MORE TIRED
-Listen to loud music and power through the assignment. If the music distracts you, change to say classic and pump it loud!

I remember my all nighter for my prelim 3U exam. Ah, dat feeling of accomplishment.

Obvious

HSC
Uni Grad
Don't worry about naps if it's just a single all nighter.

Drink a cup of black coffee every four hours while eating sweet things and listening to good non-lyrical music - it'll be over before you know it.

deloving

HSC
Naps are more than efficient regardless of the length, and are therefore encouraged. Some people take 20 minute naps, while some nap for 90 minutes. It will help a lot during an all-nighter, even if you're turning your mind off for only 20 minutes.

Aysce

HSC
Personally when I chucked my all-nighter, I listened to Rocky soundtracks and Heavy metal (I never listen to this). Effectiveness overload.

enoilgam

HSC
Hey guys, its come to my attention that i'm going to have to pull an all-nighter soon to finish an assignment i have :L
Anyone with experience have any tips for this? Is it better to have like regular small naps, or just power it out?
Pro-tip: Avoid them altogether.

deloving

HSC
Pro-tip: Avoid them altogether.
Yeah... it's seriously not good for you. I've done it about 3 times when gaming, and every time I would ignore any kind of naps and wouldn't go to sleep until the next night. So about 40 hours. You feel all this crazy shit and it's not nice.

btx3

HSC
Uni Grad
look. Ive done a few and these things get me through it.

Drink a lot of water, when I'm tired and dehydrated i can get headaches easily. Also the fact that i go to the toilet often gets me up off my seat and moving every like half an hour or so ( i drink like 6 litres during all nighters). It's good to get moving because it just helps you shift your concentration away from work for a second which can be helpful when you're really stressed out.

DO NOT SLEEP. What do you think an all nighter is?

don't go caffeine too early, i seem to have a strong 3 hours at around 11pm-2am then i resort to coffee to give me a strong 2:30-5:30 session.

Lastly, you're gonna realise things take longer than you think they will during an allnighter. Prepare to have enough time to finish what you need to do and make sure you don't stress out if you think you're not going to complete or assignment or cover something fully, that will just make it worse.

now you're gonna feel like complete shit the next day but sometimes you just have to do it k, and remember to drink heaps of water kent so you don't get headaches or is that just me.

aceer

HSC
Dude sleep is more important than prelim assessments..

saysesame

HSC
I love how we're in in year 11 and already pulling off all nighters! :L Random tips for you:

If you have a friend to stay up with, stay on the phone (free mobile call/ skype/ whatever floats your boat) with them all night. It makes it (more) fun and helps keep you stay awake and focused - a chat here or there will save your brain.

Don't procrastinate too much - before you know it it'd be 6 am. Time flies by for some peculiar reason.

Get a cup of coffee or two and just go with the flow.
Read: a cup of coffee or two ! Don't drink too many cups - you'll want to pee constantly and you're basically setting yourself for a mini heart attack. I speak from experience.

now you're gonna feel like complete shit the next day but sometimes you just have to do it k
Haha really? For me in the morning I felt a little drugged but things got better throughout them day.

Have fun my friend ;)

Last edited:

btx3

HSC
Uni Grad
i wasn't too bad in the morning, it was around 1pm-2pm where i felt so bad.

Render777

HSC
N/A
Lol your muscles are gonna start twitching if you have that much caffeine.. stay away from coffee/energydrinks/cheapcola/coke/ ... stick with simple tea.

deloving

HSC
My muscles twitch during all nighters even without any caffeine lol.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)