Is this fair? (1 Viewer)

hholbrook

HSC
Hi,

So I have an Advanced English assignment due tomorrow on the concept of voice. We were given an official assessment notification from the teacher that stated:

You are to select extracts from two written texts which portray a unique Voice. Identify the central idea of each extract and analyse how that idea is conveyed.

The problem is that one student, a girl who usually tops English, did not select extracts of texts but rather selected two whole books and picked out examples of textual techniques from the book from various chapters. A number of students including myself have discussed this and we all think it is unfair that she has been allowed to ignore the outline and do whatever she likes, as it has allowed her to create much stronger analytical writing from in excess of 400 pages of a text.

What do you think? Should we discuss this with the Head of English/marker?

soloooooo

HSC
N/A
I see no problem with it. It says extracts, she has simply chosen to do more work than you. There is no issue with that.

townie

Premium Member
HSC
Uni Grad
What's the problem, it said extracts, plural, she is merely answering the question

hholbrook

HSC
Yes but it was explained as being an extract from each text. We think that a whole text is not an extract.

hholbrook

HSC
Additionally, this is not the first time something like this has happened. In art, they were expected to create 3 artworks of different mediums and she created 2 drawings and a painting and still got full marks. I just don't think it's fair that she can ignore rules that we all have to follow.

Absolutezero

real human bean
HSC
N/A
If it was clearly defined as one extract (defined as not the total or majority) from each text, then you've probably got a case.

kaz1

et tu
HSC
Uni Grad
extract means portion

100% is still a portion of something

soloooooo

HSC
N/A
Yes but it was explained as being an extract from each text. We think that a whole text is not an extract.
Perhaps she only used 99% of the book. Unless the length of the extract is defined in the assesment, it can be as long as she likes.

hholbrook

HSC
I guess so. I still feel like she has been given an unfair advantage and it should result in loss of marks. It is typical for this girl though. 'Daddy' teaches at the school and gives her information about tests/upcoming assignments. Totally unfair but hopefully the HSC markers will 100% destroy her in the end. I'm raging over this.

hholbrook

HSC
Might I add, we have to attach a copy of the extract so I can't wait to see her turn up with two books tomorrow.

townie

Premium Member
HSC
Uni Grad
Wait, hold on, I don't read it as two books as the extracts. The question said choose extracts from two texts. You say she use different parts of the books to show different things. Surely each part of the book is an extract. Nothing is wrong with that.

hholbrook

HSC
It was explained to us as 1 extract per text. 1 x 2 = 2 extracts in total. Thus, she has not followed the rules. We all want her to get 0.

Dan895

HSC
Uni Grad
I'd say stop worrying about others and focus on your improvement, it will help you achieve your goal in the long run!

hholbrook

HSC
Okay. I guess I wanted your opinions, and that's what I got. Thanks for the help guys. I'll discuss it with the teacher. :)

Absolutezero

real human bean
HSC
N/A
Given that the extracts are meant to be attached to the analysis, and that each extract is meant to contain a central idea, it is fairly clear that the extracts are meant to be the object of analysis (and not the compiled evidence for analysis), and that a whole text does not constitute an extract. What the girl has done is manipulated the situation to her own gains.

If she has done this within the wording of the question legitimately, there's not much you can do. If the specific wording does not allow for this loophole (and we can't tell whether it does or it doesn't, given we don't have all the evidence and instructions), then your complaint is valid. Either way, you're not losing anything by taking the issue to the head teacher.

townie

Premium Member
HSC
Uni Grad
But the OP said:

picked out examples of textual techniques from the book from various chapters.
Surely each example is an extract and unless the question said only 1 extract per text it's perfectly valid

Absolutezero

real human bean
HSC
N/A
But the OP said:

Surely each example is an extract and unless the question said only 1 extract per text it's perfectly valid
An extract from each text implies a section of the text. This is then used as a whole text, from which a central idea and analysis is formed. The extract(s) refers to the plurality of the texts, not the plurality of the sources from said text.

townie

Premium Member
HSC
Uni Grad
Then why use extracts plural in the question wording (assuming OP has posted the question wording as given). To me it sounds more like a crap teacher than a student doing Anything wrong.

Absolutezero

real human bean
HSC
N/A
Because it doesn't work singularly:

"You are to select extract from two written texts which portray a unique Voice."

Or

"You are to select an extract from two written texts which portray a unique Voice."

Neither flow grammatically, and are even more ambiguous than 'extracts'.

Trying to isolate it to a singular when the question is asking for two separate texts doesn't really fix the issue at all. And to be fair, no one else in the class had a problem understanding the task. So it couldn't have been too difficult for them to work out the meaning. Either the girl made a legitimate mistake or she's trying to play the system. In either case, because of the marks attributed to her, both are issues that could be taken to the head teacher for another look.

I'm not saying OP will get retribution or that she deserves a zero. But if OP thinks it's worth it, then I think there's enough to support going forward.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)