Dropping Maths or Eng Ext 1? (1 Viewer)

boomshaka

HSC
I took up Maths Ext 1 this year to give it a try, then took up Eng Ext 1 in Week 7, so I'm pretty behind. I took both extensions because I thought I'd be super smart and also because I would get more free periods (I have 12 units) and now it's exams and I'm really stressed. I don't know why I took both extensions because I don't exactly have a passion for English or Maths. I feel like they're both going to drag me down because I don't have the motivation to carry on both, and because I have work it's harder to manage time, especially with Maths Ext. I guess I'd be able to get decent marks if I really tried, but I just don't have much of an interest with them.

Since I have 12 units, I was thinking of picking up Italian Beginners again which I was doing before I dropped it for Eng Ext, then drop both extensions. But would it be worth keeping one extension until the end of prelim? I feel like I'm taking the easy way out but atm I just feel mentally drained and stressed. Thanks in advance.

Kurosaki

True Fail Kid
HSC
I personally think that keeping maths will be helpful- it keeps your options open and plus it has higher scaling than EX1 I think. Also, if your tastes change and you do develop a passion for maths, you can do MX2, which, while challenging is pretty rewarding from what I've heard :). but it really depends on you and your natural inclinations haha.

Disclaimer: I hate English

Last edited:

Dan895

HSC
Uni Grad
The best way to go is to keep options open if you can, but otherwise don't put yourself through things you don't want to do.

Verify

HSC
I'd say keep both for now and see how well you do at your exams before making a decision.

starshine02

HSC
I did both Eng and Maths ext in prelim and at the beginning of the year I really hated both of them. But then I actually ended up doing alright in my assessments so I just continued them for the rest of the year. I think you should just attempt the exams and wait until you get some results back to see if you really want to drop. Except if you really hate the subject or aren't enjoying it at all then maybe you should drop. I'd say keeping maths ext would probably be more useful than keeping eng ext but it depends where your strengths are.

boomshaka

HSC
I agree that Maths would be more useful than Eng Ext, but it's just so time consuming AGH! Eng Ext is easier though so I can cope with it. Does prelim marks matter once you get into Year 12 though? I have a feeling my results are pretty shit atm, haha.

Kurosaki

True Fail Kid
HSC
I agree that Maths would be more useful than Eng Ext, but it's just so time consuming AGH! Eng Ext is easier though so I can cope with it. Does prelim marks matter once you get into Year 12 though? I have a feeling my results are pretty shit atm, haha.
No they do not.

starshine02

HSC
It sort of depends what you want to do in uni but if you find english easier and you want to save time you should continue that and drop maths later on in the year. You could also ask what the topic in year 12 will be for ext english.

Prelim marks don't get carried onto year 12 so it doesn't matter too much atm.

nerdasdasd

Dont.msg.me.about.english
HSC
Uni Grad
Keep your maths, but english extension may not be so useful. Without maths, you may find it hard in many university subjects.

kazemagic

HSC
i wud keep the subject thats easiest for you
and dont decide on which subjects to drop just basing it on the usefulness at uni, thats why they have bridging courses
and atm doing well in uni isnt even ur main concern here

SuchSmallHands

HSC
I did two weeks of maths extension 1, hated it, questioned why I was even bothering with a subject I hated and had no desire to pursue after high school and then dropped maths entirely. Do what makes you happy.

Kurosaki

True Fail Kid
HSC
i wud keep the subject thats easiest for you
and dont decide on which subjects to drop just basing it on the usefulness at uni, thats why they have bridging courses
and atm doing well in uni isnt even ur main concern here
bridging courses are bad though

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)