How to study for Year 11 Chemistry?! (1 Viewer)

Rebeccaz

HSC
Hey everyone

Could anyone give me tips on how to study for chemistry. I don't know if I should summarise my notes and how to summarise them and what to do and I need advice on the best way to go to study for an exam on Chemical Earth.

Thanks!! :)

hit patel

HSC
Uni Grad
Notes, Questions revision and Prac investigation details

Rebeccaz

HSC
okay so I guess notes are just the way to go.

thank you!!!!! I am also doing the same subjects as you are :)

SuchSmallHands

HSC
If you don't have the syllabus document already get it and systematically work through it; make sure that's what your notes focus on. A lot of teachers don't go into adamequate depth in some area and go into excessive detail in others, so your notes from class may not be an accurate representation of the syllabus.

hit patel

HSC
Uni Grad
If you don't have the syllabus document already get it and systematically work through it; make sure that's what your notes focus on. A lot of teachers don't go into adamequate depth in some area and go into excessive detail in others, so your notes from class may not be an accurate representation of the syllabus.

Here is what you need. View attachment Economics Syllabus.pdf View attachment Chemistry Syllabus.pdf View attachment English Advanced Syllabus.pdfView attachment Maths 4 unit Syllabus.pdf View attachment Maths Ext 1 Syllabus.pdf View attachment Physics Syllabus.pdf Study Tips HSC.jpgView attachment Study Tips.pdf

madharris

HSC
N/A
Write notes, but only if you're going to use them! Many of my friends found that writing notes were useless because they never actually used them enough for them to be worth it
However, me on the other hand regularly read my notes and I found them useful, especially when it came closer to the HSC exams

Attempt past papers and practice questions. This is probably the best method to study for science especially so you can get a feel for what the questions are going to be like --> and mark them afterwards according to the answers/marking criteria so you know what you missed, what you didn't need, etc

Learn the HSC verbs! I can't stress this enough as if it asks you to identify something and you describe it, you will be wasting time! Similarly if they ask you to describe something and you only identify it, then you won't get the maximum number of marks

Rebeccaz

HSC
okay I have the syllabus and am going to start to go through it and make notes. thank you

Rebeccaz

HSC
Write notes, but only if you're going to use them! Many of my friends found that writing notes were useless because they never actually used them enough for them to be worth it
However, me on the other hand regularly read my notes and I found them useful, especially when it came closer to the HSC exams

Attempt past papers and practice questions. This is probably the best method to study for science especially so you can get a feel for what the questions are going to be like --> and mark them afterwards according to the answers/marking criteria so you know what you missed, what you didn't need, etc

Learn the HSC verbs! I can't stress this enough as if it asks you to identify something and you describe it, you will be wasting time! Similarly if they ask you to describe something and you only identify it, then you won't get the maximum number of marks

thanks for the tip :)

alphabetafeta96

I swear im not a cat lady
HSC
Uni Grad
make sure you do lots of data analysis questions as well.

bluecrisps

HSC
Yeah use all the syllabus points and make notes under them by using it as a heading, e.g. if a syllabus point says "identify why there are more metals available for use now than 200 years ago" then expand on that and write it out (by using different textbooks as well as the internet and other resources such as videos) , then read it. Also, you should get your friends to test you and do the questions from your textbooks you haven't done yet.

SuchSmallHands

HSC
Yeah use all the syllabus points and make notes under them by using it as a heading, e.g. if a syllabus point says "identify why there are more metals available for use now than 200 years ago" then expand on that and write it out (by using different textbooks as well as the internet and other resources such as videos) , then read it. Also, you should get your friends to test you and do the questions from your textbooks you haven't done yet.
+1, that first part is exactly what I do and I think it's really effective

KieranTF

HSC
N/A
Revision is one of the best ways for chemistry I find, try and learn all the basic concepts as well as you can and get a real understanding of them if ya get me??

hit patel

HSC
Uni Grad
Thats what i always do. +1

bec3

HSC
As everyone has said, its just about finding what suits you. I found chemistry tricky, until I came across the right study tools. For me, I start with watching instructional videos- a great example is (I think they do prelim but I'm not 100%) letslearnscience channel on youtube which breaks down the dot point in simple terms and helps understanding enormously! Taking down notes from that is useful, an I follow this by visiting sites such as easychem.com.au
be warned though, this is VERY basic and not enough detail is provided, but if it takes a while to wrap your head around some of the more difficult concepts, it helps. Because these are simplistic sites, for the addrd depth its a good idea to check out textbooks, particularly if you're not getting much from your teachers. Personally, I like conquering chemistry as it's not too overboard with the detail, but you are effectively covering the dot points.
Once you've got your notes it really is all about practice. Past papers, anything you can get your hands on really :)
Chem is something where asking questions is essential and group study sessions can help a well. As there's a large amount of content, splitting your notes into sections and cutting them down is effective. If you're a visual learner try flash cards, you get the benefit of writing them PLUS looking over them, so effectively you're doubling your study.

Good luck!!

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)