Economics? (1 Viewer)

HSC
When price goes up, the demand goes down, when price goes down, demand goes up

but flip it. if demand goes down, price should go down, and when the demand goes up, the price will go up.

how does this make any sense?

Rebeccaz

HSC
Isn't it because if there is less demand the business will lower the price to get more people to buy their product but if demand is high the business can raise their prices so when their products are being bought they get more profit as the demand is high and the product will still be bought at any price.

albertcamus

HSC
Isn't it because if there is less demand the business will lower the price to get more people to buy their product but if demand is high the business can raise their prices so when their products are being bought they get more profit as the demand is high and the product will still be bought at any price.
Basically this, but just rewording it:

Think of this. If you're a small business, and no one/not many people want to buy your goods/services (i.e low/no demand), you still want to sell your product. But, you realise that you have to make the price extremely low to attract consumers (since there's low/no demand in the first place). Therefore, as demand goes down, price goes down.

Similarly, if there are a lot of people wanting to buy your good/service, you have the luxury to raise prices and know that people will still buy whatever you're selling since there will still be demand for it (i.e at price X, 800 people are willing to buy, but at price X + 10 there are still 300 people willing to buy - it's basically like an auction). Thus if demand goes up, price goes up.

SuchSmallHands

HSC
tl;dr
If you're charging a fortune for a product people don't really want it's not going to sell. If people are desperate for the product, you can charge what you like and still make sales.

HSC
i understand how it works, just i dont understand why both my statements contradict each other

albertcamus

HSC
i understand how it works, just i dont understand why both my statements contradict each other
It's because they look at the price/demand relationship through different perspectives of a) the consumer and b) the firm, since consumer/firm decisions are interlinked (if you remember from the circular flow, these 2 sectors have the biggest influence upon each other compared to other sectors).

Amiiiiiin

HSC
Lets say you have produced 1000 Apple iPhones. You start selling them for 1 grand each, If there is little demand then you will lower the price down to help bring the demand up and sell your products.

Rebeccaz

HSC
Lets say you have produced 1000 Apple iPhones. You start selling them for 1 grand each, If there is little demand then you will lower the price down to help bring the demand up and sell your products.
therefore demand goes up when price goes down and at the same time the demand being low for the price to go down :)

ShayK

HSC
Two words - Inverse Relationship.
+1
Law of demand is basically an inverse relationship between the price of a good or service and the quantity buyers are willing to purchase in a period, ceteris paribus.

HeroicPandas

Heroic!
HSC
Get a pen/pencil and a nice piece of paper and draw out the DEMAND CURVE (has a negative gradient)

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)