Q: How does one regain motivation for studying? (1 Viewer)

Capo

HSC
Is it me or does everyone else also just loses motivation for studying once in a while... It's half yearlies in 2 days and I have no motivation. Does studying a lot make you lose motivation?

coldrain

Hello friends
HSC
I got half yearlies coming up too, and this is the most study I've done in a long time. Maybe it's the electives you've chosen? If you've chosen what you like I think studying is far more enjoyable and requires less motivation.

Last edited:

Capo

HSC
I got half yearlies coming up too, and this is the most study I've done in a long time. Maybe it's the electives you've chosen? If you've chosen what you like I think studying is far more enjoyable and requires less motivation.
Oh, don't get me wrong, I love my subjects. I've been studying 6 hrs a day for 2 weeks during the holidays. Maybe I was studying too much? Now i can't seem to find ANY motivation to study.

Drifting95

Should i change my DP?
HSC
Oh, don't get me wrong, I love my subjects. I've been studying 6 hrs a day for 2 weeks during the holidays. Maybe I was studying too much? Now i can't seem to find ANY motivation to study.
its called burnout.

hayabusaboston

HSC
Somehow, on wednesday, I did 4 hrs of study, then thursday 11 hrs (thursday is day off in timetable), friday 4, saturday 10, today 8.

Woa

Am still feeling pree good about things. See how long I can keep this motivation up.

coldrain

Hello friends
HSC
Yeah mate I'm pretty sure 6 hours a day for the entire holidays was a bit excessive, are all your subjects just theory?

enoilgam

HSC
its called burnout.
This is a common misconception - burnout is something completely different, the end result of which is a breakdown I think.

The phenomenon which most people associate with burning out is more or less becoming unmotivated because you havent properly paced yourself and/or because you have little experience with study. It's like a marathon runner who sprints at the begining of the race, wastes all their energy and then drops out due to exhaustion - there isnt anything wrong with them, they just didnt pace themselves.

Last edited:

Spiritual Being

hehehehehe
HSC
Uni Grad
This is a common misconception - burnout is something completely different, the end result of which is a breakdown I think. This phenomenon is more or less becoming unmotivated because a person hasnt properly paced themselves and/or because they have little experience with study. It's like a marathon runner who sprints at the begining of a race, wastes all their energy and then drops out due to exhaustion - there isnt anything wrong with them, they just didnt pace themselves.
with accordance to your definition, or "the' definition

burnt out unnecessarily in term one
did barely anything term two, which saw my rank go down profoundly in one subject, otherwise all relatively the same
now with my relaxed mode for a term, I have paced myself for the remainder of this marathon

:)

enoilgam

HSC
with accordance to your definition, or "the' definition

burnt out unnecessarily in term one
did barely anything term two, which saw my rank go down profoundly in one subject, otherwise all relatively the same
now with my relaxed mode for a term, I have paced myself for the remainder of this marathon

:)
See my edit - what is being described in this thread isnt burnout.

HSC
N/A
Is it me or does everyone else also just loses motivation for studying once in a while... It's half yearlies in 2 days and I have no motivation. Does studying a lot make you lose motivation?
The HSC is a competition, that should be more than enough to motivate you.

Spiritual Being

hehehehehe
HSC
Uni Grad
The Legendary Spiritual Being burnt out? :(
I got complacent with my ranks which did not change much.

Business asdfghjkl

See my edit - what is being described in this thread isnt burnout.
Okay. I could not get myself to study last term that much.

So I think I was just unmotivated for a period of time, now I am motivated and doing hours again.

SuchSmallHands

HSC
I have no motivation whatsoever to study at the minute either. I don't think it's burning out, I think it's just because I did so much study earlier that now I just know all of the material inside out, so study is ridiculously tedious and seems pointless. If you've spent six hours a day for two weeks studying one term's material chances are you're experiencing the same thing as me. On the bright side, if you know the material well enough to feel no urge to study it sort of means you don't really have to

jnney

lemon
HSC
I think you need a bit of a breather.

Go out and meet some friends, or do something else like watch a movie to take your mind of study for a little bit. :)

Geneveeev96

HSC
I find a good motivation to be the feeling that you're almost out of school, and you want to go out into life feeling good about yourself, not crap. I can imagine if you get a lower ATAR than you wanted then you will probably feel super bad for a long time. I know bad exam results tend to linger for me for quite a while, emotionally speaking.

enoilgam

HSC
I think you need a bit of a breather.

Go out and meet some friends, or do something else like watch a movie to take your mind of study for a little bit. :)
This pretty much. I think the key to staying motivated is having a balance.

Capo

HSC
I find a good motivation to be the feeling that you're almost out of school, and you want to go out into life feeling good about yourself, not crap. I can imagine if you get a lower ATAR than you wanted then you will probably feel super bad for a long time. I know bad exam results tend to linger for me for quite a while, emotionally speaking.
This was pretty much why I studied that much in the first place haha

On the other hand, how do you guys cope with situations like this? I have half yearlies in 2 days and tutoring exam the week after :( There's just more relentless studying after exams so going out will be difficult

HSC
Im going through the same phase now but what I found really helped me out this weekend (first time in a while I can honestly studied for a reasonable amount of time) was to break my workload up into super short time intervals. I gave myself half an hour to achieve as much as I could on one subject then move onto a different subject and do the same thing.

louielouiee

louielouielouielouielouie
HSC
N/A
Uni Grad
Go for a run, or a big lifting sesh.

Give yourself a time out, relax, don't think about exams, spend 3 hours in the bath tub. I don't care.

What you need right now is some relaxation time to gather your thoughts and find new motivation!

Unfortunately for me, I experienced a burn out during the final HSC exams. Luckily you're experiencing yours now! Learn from it.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)